Author Topic: Family Reunion  (Read 9303 times)

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
Re: Family Reunion
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 05:55:23 PM »
Hi Bella, I totally see where you're coming from on this one. My two cents: avoiding the reunion altogether doesn't sound like the best idea, if only because they will have to find out sometime! Might as well get it over and done with, lest they get back at you the next occasion knowing you've been hiding it from them.
It's true that the feedback we get from family is harder to dismiss or just brush aside, but one thing I've learnt is that if their disapproval stems out of true concern for you, if you talk to them and stand by your choices, they will eventually come round and accept them; on the other hand, if it's just narrow-mindedness on their part, it's simply not worth bothering with or being bothered by.
After all, it's your hair (or lack thereof ;)), your choice, your life and therefore, ultimately, no one else's business as Isleepinthebuff has already summed up. It's good that your mum will back you up; as for the less understanding members of your family, well, if they have a problem with it it's their problem, no need for it to become yours too, right?

Good luck and keep up the good fight :)
.: you must laugh and sing if you want to conquer the world :.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »
Just to give everyone an update:

Reunion is next week and I'm not going, but only because I have some too-good-to-pass-up work opportunities and my 2 favorite cousins also cancelled out, so it really would have been an awkward time all around. 

However, I updated my Facebook profile page as a way of telling the entire family I went sly (and texted a pic to my mom, who is one of the few not on FB).  It went over surprisingly well!  Lots of silence, which is fine by me, but a few likes and even a few positive comments!

My mom keeps calling it "that haircut" when I talk to her (as in "how does your boyfriend like that haircut?  isn't that haircut cold?") but oh well, I'll give her room to adjust.  She gleefully told me the other day that this is the first time since I was a baby my hair was shorter than hers so I think she's coming around.

Thanks for the support, everyone.  While the FR point ended up being moot (which I am kind of disappointed about - getting everyone together would have been great, but I can't say no to work), I did get a lot of perspective from y'all about both being sly and family dynamics.  This place rocks!

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »
On the plus side, she understands that it is a haircut, and not some for of cult conformation haha.

I'm glad she is coming around though, and that you've got some positive comments from the new you on facebook too!