Author Topic: Hair reduction  (Read 1417 times)

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Hair reduction
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »
While on the search for the perfect shave, as we all are, I'm always trying to improve my technique.  I still watch videos and read about shaving techniques, and the concept of "hair reduction" comes up a good bit. 

Hair reduction, as opposed to hair removal, is the process of gradually removing the length of hair through the use of different directional passes and a light (but firm) touch.  If you think about a modern cartridge razor, the goal of it is hair removal by dragging lots of blades over one area all at once.  This naturally causes irritation as the first blades with hair contact fill with hair first and cause drag and uneven, dull cutting and pulling of hair. 

I've been making the effort to do three passes on my head with the DE from now on: WTG, XTG, and ATG.  Before, I was only going ATG x2.  I'm using much shorter, more precise strokes and, most importantly, never going over the same area twice during a pass.  The comfort level and closeness of my shaves has never been better!

This may seem like common sense, but if you try to start thinking about gradual hair reduction instead of getting one area completely smooth after one stroke of the blade, I think the quality of your shaves will improve drastically!

"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: Hair reduction
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
While on the search for the perfect shave, as we all are, I'm always trying to improve my technique.  I still watch videos and read about shaving techniques, and the concept of "hair reduction" comes up a good bit. 

Hair reduction, as opposed to hair removal, is the process of gradually removing the length of hair through the use of different directional passes and a light (but firm) touch.  If you think about a modern cartridge razor, the goal of it is hair removal by dragging lots of blades over one area all at once.  This naturally causes irritation as the first blades with hair contact fill with hair first and cause drag and uneven, dull cutting and pulling of hair. 

I've been making the effort to do three passes on my head with the DE from now on: WTG, XTG, and ATG.  Before, I was only going ATG x2.  I'm using much shorter, more precise strokes and, most importantly, never going over the same area twice during a pass.  The comfort level and closeness of my shaves has never been better!

This may seem like common sense, but if you try to start thinking about gradual hair reduction instead of getting one area completely smooth after one stroke of the blade, I think the quality of your shaves will improve drastically!
Great read, and thanx brother for sharing !  Interesting ! O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »
Great post!

I always wanted my hair thinned out(every since I started shaving)

But the thought of reduction from using a razor sounds even better. But permanent.
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »
It's not a permament thing; you'll still shave as often as normal.  It's just a shaving method that's consistent with the concept of DE usage.  While not permanent, it DOES keep your dome smooth for longer!
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."