Author Topic: Have you ever felt like a celebrity?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Have you ever felt like a celebrity?
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »
The other night I was out with my business partner having a beer to discuss a business meeting that we had just had with a new client.  We had been in the saloon a while and were kind of sitting near the front door.  I looked up and saw two guys walking toward me with shaved heads and one of them asked if I was Tyler from SBG.  It turns out it was a member from a while back, Time2Shine.  He had asked to take a picture and we chatted a bit before him and his friend left.  It was funny, for a moment I felt like a celebrity...mostly because he asked for a picture and other people were trying to figure out why.

Have any of you had an experience that made you feel like a celebrity?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
Re: Have you ever felt like a celebrity?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »
Once, about 15 years ago when I was doing some volunteer work at the maritime museum in San Francisco.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Psycho

• Psycho
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
I've been told I look similar to Vin diesel, and also Jesse James of West Coast Choppers!
Psycho

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:25:10 AM »
Oh Hell no! People usually look at me and try to vacate the area immediately. I'm like the "anti-celebrity".
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »
Every now and again, someone will recognize me as the author of my books. No one's asked for photos though.

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
On occasion I suppose. At my favorite pub I generally get something like the Norm from Cheers reaction. Everyone there seems to know me from many many nights there doing stupid things with my friends.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
I used to get Matthew Brodrick when I had hair. I don't get any comments now.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
In the past (not recently), when I had some hair on occasion, I was more than once told I looked like Donald Sutherland.  I can't see it myself, but it did happen independently those times.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 11:17:45 PM »
Didn't he used to live in Seattle?

I do get that feeling every once in awhile. I frequent some poultry forums and I have a unique user name (flyingmonkeypoop), everyone loves the name and I always post. I was at a show this past spring when I heard "Look! It's Mike the flyingmonkeypoop!" then I was surrounded by a few people all getting their pics taken with me and a couple folks offering to pay for my lunch, it was pretty awesome.
 Then, I had a few moments locally. I have a page on facebook that I made as part of an inside joke. It all started off when one of my old coworkers asked why I did something, I told them because "I do what I want!" which started it all. Now I have the Mike Friggin Baker page on facebook and a handful of tshirts out there with my pic and "I'm Mike friggin Baker" on the front and "...and I do what I want!" on the back. Anyway, in the Inlander which is a local paper that has the I saw you/You saw me section, there was someone that posted that they saw a guy wearing a Mike friggin Baker shirt that was clearly not me and they wanted to hang out. After that, I had tons of people 'like' my page and folks come into my store and request pics with me for no reason at all.

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
It's an old picture of me, but a friend of mine now officially calls me Willie.

Once upon a time. The End.

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
Yeah. Especially when the local skinheads spot me... lol.
"Sly til the day I die"

Enter your email address: