Author Topic: Am I balding? Or Mature hairline?  (Read 28951 times)

Offline dimemag

• Learning the way of Sly
Am I balding? Or Mature hairline?
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Hi; Ive been losing hair for the last couple years (Im 20 now). Its been mostly from the front, and so far has not been seen anywhere else. Ive realized my whole hairline has moved back. At first it was the temples, then the part in the middle receded to make a line with it.

Family history: Dad is bald, of his four brothers, 3 are bald, one is good. On moms side, no uncles, but grandpa went bald at like 50/60. Male cousins on moms side: 8 have good hair, 3 bald.

Ive used rogaine on the temples. I think its working? I mean its thicker when i use it as compared to not.
Ive also been using biotin everyday. I dont want to mess with propecia and its side effects..

Some pictures:

Am I balding? and if so what should I do to maintain it? Thanks!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Am I balding? Or Mature hairline?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
Looking at your picture, I would say  try a short buzzcut first just to see if you like shorter hair....Then when the recession kicks in, you could always go sly then. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
The question is are you happy with the way your hair looks now?? If it's not bothering you then there is no need to worry. Looking at the photos and your family history I'd say yes it is on the retreat but in my opinion it doesn't look that noticeable, I certainly don't think "Hey that dude is going bald!" or anything.

Don't be afraid of the inevitable, afterall there is little you can do about it so why worry!!

benlen

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
With that many relatives bald, and your pictures, I would say that yes, you are balding. At this point, the speed at which it will become noticeable to anyone except other balding guys is difficult to determine.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »
Looking at your picture, I would say  try a short buzzcut first just to see if you like shorter hair....Then when the recession kicks in, you could always go sly then. Good luck!

I agree with SlySirHarry.  It looks like you are balding at forehead/temples.  Did dad/uncles start frontal balding?  I remember my balding was exactly like my dad's (looking at old photo album).  He was full norwood 7 mpb by age 33. Yet, my furious mpb beat him like by 10 years ... go figure genetics.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
Welcome,

Sounds like you are in the beginning stages of balding. Don't stress though!

Are you considering shaving or?

Apparently regain and the like can have some pretty nasty side effects.
Lynchy

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
I have to agree with the others. If it starts to become more noticeable go for a buzz cut and if you want to go ahead and shave it all off. It is your choice do what you think is best O0

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »

There is probably less hair on you head than there was a few years ago but does this qualify as "balding"? I'm going to say no with the understanding that balding has to to relatively easily noticeable to qualify as balding. It is not noticeable unless you pull your hair back and pose like in photo 3.

In the long run you will be happier if you can accept whatever you have. Given your family history it seems likely that you will go bald in time and really this is no problem unless you resist it.

When the time is right you can shave it all off and find out what it is like to be free from the tyranny of hair. You will love it.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »
I'm a bald by choice guy. I'd say, whether you are balding or not, now would be a good time to shave your head and give bald a try.  It's a very acceptable hair choice for men these days.

For as many guys in your family that are already bald, you'll likely be there one day anyway.  You could claim ownership now and just avoid the comb overs and the thinning look along the way and just do it.

For me, I love being bald.  Any my community of coworkers family and friends say it looks good on me.  You'd certainly fit in with the rest of your family.

Go for it.

Offline dimemag

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I forgot to add that my hair style and texture (curly) is similar to my one uncle on the guys side who did not bald too much. His hairline receded but nothing really past that.

Yes I will shave it if it becomes incredibly noticeable, however I have somewhat of a Kobe Bryant shaped head. It's tough to explain, but it really doesn't look that great. I'm telling you this after having tried being bald this past summer.

If I take propecia, it will lock in place right?

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
Propecia has bad side effects. Why not try a buzzcut for 30 days ?  Your hair seems too long even if it were not balding. You will look athletic and in style with a buzz. Being bald is not something guys avoid these days. Many guys shave even without any hair loss. Stay with a buzz until you get used to it and headshape does not matter.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I forgot to add that my hair style and texture (curly) is similar to my one uncle on the guys side who did not bald too much. His hairline receded but nothing really past that.

Yes I will shave it if it becomes incredibly noticeable, however I have somewhat of a Kobe Bryant shaped head. It's tough to explain, but it really doesn't look that great. I'm telling you this after having tried being bald this past summer.

Going from what I have read it might or might not "lock in place" if by "lock in place" you mean "stop/slow the hair loss". It seems that eventually everyone on propecia loses their hair and it stops/slows hair loss in some people better then others. It also causes impotence and other nasties in some people.

Again, from what I have read if you do experience impotence or other side-effects it may be possible to reduce the does substantially and still get some of the desired effects whilst reducing the side-effects to an acceptable level. Most people take propecia with another drug thus the side-effects grow as well as the costs -- it is quite an expensive drug.

If might be useful for you to contemplate why you want to keep your hair the way it is now. No other part of your body is going to stay the same as it is now so why should your hair? It seems to me that when you take a drug for your hair you are implicitly saying to yourself "you are not good enough as you are [ie as a man perhaps losing hair] so take this drug to make yourself better than you are." Telling yourself everyday that you are not acceptable as you are is not good for your state of mind ie it will make you unhappy.

You are standing at the top of a pretty slippery slope. If you do this with hair what about wrinkles -- is botox next on the list? I'm sure that it would be really useful for you to think about what your life would be like if you could learn to accept yourself as you are now.

benlen

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:37:02 AM »

No hair loss treatment will stop baldness entirely. Propecia and Rogaine can slow the process dramatically, but Propecia has well reported cases of causing extreme sexual dysfunction in men (erectile dysfunction) sometimes for good. Rogaine's sexual side effects are rare but I experienced them myself two years ago, along with a rapid heartbeat and heart palpitations. I still feel on occasion the effects of the Rogaine on my sexual health. Trust me when I say, hair is less important than sex!

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken,Rogaine does NOTHING  for hair on the crown or the hairline............only wispy ''vellus'' hairs that are hardly noticeable. Any minute hairs gained.........are lost after you quit it.Bottom line is that Rogaine does very little if anything for balding. Save your money.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken,Rogaine does NOTHING  for hair on the crown or the hairline............only wispy ''vellus'' hairs that are hardly noticeable. Any minute hairs gained.........are lost after you quit it.Bottom line is that Rogaine does very little if anything for balding. Save your money.

The son (age 25) of a friend of mine (who is mpb) was on Rogaine for three, yes THREE wasted years and his balding forehead and spot in back did not fill in.  Apx. 3-4 months after he quit Rogaine, his top started thinning fast so he bic-ced his noggin smooth n shiny !  I'm not sure what he spent on Rogaine, but he's a happier man ready to get married this year  ;)