Author Topic: Great Horned Owls  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
Great Horned Owls
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
They are both Great Horned owls; male and female. They have probabaly set up a nesting territory as they will start to lay eggs in the next 6-8 weeks. If I had to take a guess, the female is on the right as owls exhibit reverse sexual dimorphism - the males are smaller than the females.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: Great Horned Owls
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »
Totally Sweet,  Used to have a couple that lived in a road sign along a interstate where I lived .  Owls in the the Native Relgion are a sign of Death , but I love them  ;)  Beautiful creatures and thanks for sharing Bro..
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
I love seeing pics of owls they are one of my favorite birds. I think you are correct about males being smaller can't remember exactly. Very nice to see though thanks for posting this

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
Thank you  O0

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »
You have done it again J_B mate, super photos. Love the sharpness of the photos.

They look evil lol.

Where do Great Horned Owls build their nest??........... anywhere they want!  :*))

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »
OzSly ~ The great horned owl, actually will take over nest other large birds build.

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:44 AM »
oooooooo and nasty too  lol

Thanks for the info J_B :)

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
Cool picture!  I haven't seen an owl up close in a very long time.  Where are they perched in this pic?
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Cool picture!  I haven't seen an owl up close in a very long time.  Where are they perched in this pic?

These are perched in a very old barn, south of Kalispell, MT

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
OzSly ~ The great horned owl, actually will take over nest other large birds build.
So these Horney little guys, do they like to fight, they must if they steal nests. LOL
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »
Hawaiian culture say the owl is the protector, but some Native American culture say different.  I will hold to my Hawaiian side of the culture, its all good  O0

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
Hawaiian culture say the owl is the protector, but some Native American culture say different.  I will hold to my Hawaiian side of the culture, its all good  O0
Yes my friend I would also.  I guess , I look at them as a beautiful animal.  And also very interesting.  Where I lived prior to where I am now , I had to big Owl's on a large sign that were there for sometime I used to set on my deck and chat with them.  That was 3 years ago and I am still here.  Yes as you say its all good  ;) O0
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »
Yes my friend I would also.  I guess , I look at them as a beautiful animal.  And also very interesting.  Where I lived prior to where I am now , I had to big Owl's on a large sign that were there for sometime I used to set on my deck and chat with them.  That was 3 years ago and I am still here.  Yes as you say its all good  ;) O0

Have to agree with you there they are beautiful animal and are very interesting for sure. Owls are said to be one of the smartest animals if I remember correctly and are known for their wisdom  O0

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »