Author Topic: Anyone have a sleeve they are required to cover for work?  (Read 9287 times)

Offline JT16

• Learning the way of Sly
Anyone have a sleeve they are required to cover for work?
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »
I really want a sleeve, at least on the lower part of my arm. My one arm is currently covered in tattoos from the elbow-up but they only show when I wear a t-shirt. My general rule is that any piece of skin which can be covered by a dress shirt with rolled-up sleeves is fair game.

I want to get into education, my goal is to become a college professor, although depending on grad school and all of that I would consider teaching high school as well. I'm pretty sure I would have to keep all of my tattoos covered at all times, regardless if I was teaching high school or college.

Do any of you guys have sleeves you have to keep covered for work? Is it a hassle? Do you ever regret inking your forearm? It doesn't sound bad on paper, but I think on a sweltering day that is freakishly warm the desire to roll up my shirt sleeves would be too great.

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
Re: Anyone have a sleeve they are required to cover for work?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
First off, welcome JT. Have you tried Amazon.. they have everything there
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
Last time I checked, Amazon didn't have an advice section.  8)

In my line of work (software engineering), no one would bat an eye at ink or piercings that are readily visible. (In fact, in the gaming industry, tats and piercings almost seem like prerequisites!)

But I can understand that academia might be less progressive.

Do you live in a warm climate?

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:29:03 PM »
Where I used to work we weren't allowed to have any tattoo's visable which was fine as I just wore a long sleeved shirt instead of a short sleeved. However, when it did get a bit warm it was annoying not being able to roll up the sleeves, mind you I usually just did anyways, I was a gaming arcade tech so spent most of my days surrounded by people who didn't care what you looked like aslong as you kept them slots running!!

My soon to be wife works in education here in the UK and I know she isn't allowed to have any tattoos that can't be covered up.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
I'm a guitar teacher and no one seems to mind. Sometimes I think they see it as a sign that I'm fully committed to music. NZ is very tolerant when it comes to tats though.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:45:12 PM »
I'm a guitar teacher and no one seems to mind. Sometimes I think they see it as a sign that I'm fully committed to music. NZ is very tolerant when it comes to tats though.

Well, Matt, you're pretty much covered in ink, if I remember right.

Can you really buy tattoos at Amazon.com?  Just stick your arm up next to the computer screen and press the PRINT button. They will tattoo you through the internet?  LOL.

In my office I rarely 'see' a tattoo, but I know that some of the people have big ones that don't show.  Occasionally you'll see a small one.  I think one intern had his stomach tattooed, but of course you don't see those in the office.  Several younger fellows have them high up on their arms, but they don't show, even in short sleeves.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:17:24 PM by mrzed »

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
No Sly bear, I guess they dont. But perhaps I was telling a joke?
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
Now days , if they don't look like prison tat's , lol some of those are better than what you can get out on the street.  I am sorry if I missed what is your occupation ?  Before I comment further.
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald By Choice since August 24, 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
I practiced law with sleeves tattooed to about two inches above my wrists. Unless I wore extra long shirt sleeves with tight cuffs, my tattoos often peeked out. No one ever objected. All judges and lawyers I dealt with knew I was majorly tatted, as did most clients.  I had always worn long sleeves when working so that didn't cause me a problem.
As soon as I retired, I got my sleeve tattoos extended to my fingertips. That was my way of saying I am through working as a lawyer! Soon after my hands, I got my neck done. Then my head. The only regret I have ever had about my tattoos is that I ran out of room!

There is a young man I know who works in a franchised restaurant. I noticed that he always wears long sleeves whereas almost everyone else working there wears short pants and shirts. But his tattoos come really close to his wrists so they often peek out below his sleeves and he frequently has his sleeves pushed up to his elbows. I asked him if they required him to wear long sleeves. He said they did. I didn't ask how he got by pushing his sleeves up, but I suspect it's company policy to cover tats and local management really doesn't care.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:29:17 PM »
No Sly bear, I guess they dont. But perhaps I was telling a joke?
Or perhaps I was?  8)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »
One of my employers has a strict policy against visible tats ... thus long sleeve shirts (or undershirts) are required unless the tat is small enough to be covered by an adhesive bandage.

Looks kind of silly to be working parking lot valet in the summertime Central Florida heat with long sleeves. But if you want to work you've got to adhere to the employer's policies or find employment elsewhere.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:14 AM »
As soon as I retired, I got my sleeve tattoos extended to my fingertips. That was my way of saying I am through working as a lawyer! Soon after my hands, I got my neck done. Then my head. The only regret I have ever had about my tattoos is that I ran out of room!

You are an inspiration!

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »
Years ago I was a Physics Professor and a frequent guest lecturer at other campuses. (My "home" campus was USC.) That was then. About three years ago I returned to the lecture circuit and was amazed. I, too, am "majorly" tatted but it didn't happen until I came to my senses and got what I'd always wanted. What I found was that when visiting other campuses, I fell into discussions with other academics not about the importance of weighing gravity in a vacuum but rather about stretching holes in your ears, the care and maintenance of tats, whether tribals were really a fad and if Old School didn't look right unless you were, well, older. I'm in the process of getting a full sleeve on my right arm and I'm...72. That worked to my advantage when lecturing as did the eagle peeking out from an open throated polo shirt, the young identified with me and were amazed to find an old fart with big tats. Had I been asked to cover them...I might have. But I'm dealing in a world of hypothesis and intellectural freedom not a nine to five office. If you know you're tatted or will be tatted or are even thinking about getting tatted, check out where you might work before you apply. Be direct with the HR person. Frankly, I've always felt sorry for the cops and troopers who, increasingly, have to cover up or resign.

Offline VOT

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
Sadly my employer has a no visible tattoos policy. I want a sleeve, as I already have a tattoo that goes up my forearm on to my chest and all the way down my back. Although I rarely wear short sleeves I have decided that to never be able to wear them would be a pain so have bowed to my employers ridiculous rules. I am sure in time the rule will be abandoned.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
Over the decades I have seen a lot of "physical presentation" rules relaxed.

For one, it's due to the labor pool. If you've got a job to fill it is increasingly difficult to find "featureless" candidates.

And second, a lot of companies have realized that their workforce often needs to reflect their customer base.

In due time these points will be irrelevant.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012