Author Topic: To the guys with big awesome beards...  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
To the guys with big awesome beards...
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »
To the guys with awesome beards, Rusty Shackleford, Beardman, and the rest, you know who you are... when you were younger, were there any times where you got anxious over whether you'd be able to grow out that much, with that much coverage or not? I'm in that spot, and I could use encouragement. I can grow a good circle beard, but I'm just 19, and shouldn't be worrying about this. So, encouragement would be cool.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: To the guys with big awesome beards...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
To the guys with awesome beards, Rusty Shackleford, Beardman, and the rest, you know who you are... when you were younger, were there any times where you got anxious over whether you'd be able to grow out that much, with that much coverage or not? I'm in that spot, and I could use encouragement. I can grow a good circle beard, but I'm just 19, and shouldn't be worrying about this. So, encouragement would be cool.
BH, Trust me as you age you beard is going to also fill in.  It is a time process.  I also went through that tried and didn't seem to work , then one day thought ah what they heck.  And let it grow and had a nice full beard.  Don't wish your life away  ;) and I was a impatient young guy .  Some have it and some don't but it does come.  O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

benlen

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »
Bald Hobbit, you have NOTHING to worry about in terms of beards. While the last couple years I've lost hair on my head, I've gradually gained it on my face! As you can see from my profile pic, I have a beard. The goatee has great coverage, and the cheeks are thin, but less than a year ago, my goatee didn't connect and I had NO hair on my cheeks, so following that timeline, I can imagine within a year I should have decent coverage everywhere, and I'm twenty three.

My dad also didn't have a full beard until twenty-five.

When I was in college I envied guys who had their full beards by the time they were 18-19, but sadly genetics aren't always on our side.

Don't worry! Monitor the progress of your facial hair growth every six months or so, and you'll probably notice small differences over the next couple years.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
I was into my 30‘s before my beard really looked good. Now it grows fast and full. Just takes some years.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »
Thanks guys. I've stopped feeling off about it today, it'll die down all the way soon enough. I guess it's like when a 14-year-old is wishing he was 5 ft 9 already. It'll come in in time. I've got very sparse vellus hair on my cheeks, but it at least outlines the beard. I've got a good circle beard though. I'm going to try to grow it out about 4-6 inches this year. It's not like shaving the head, it takes time, and I'm trying to accept that. Same with the maturing of the vellus hairs.

If you get on jefffsbeardboard and look at the teen section, it's all guys who have sparse growth or have had a full beard since age 3. Their "Encouragement for all teens" section annoys me, as they pretty much only has examples of very well developed beards. It is a great site, and very, very encouraging, but I find some of it ironic. Though, I did post on there, and one of the moderators said my beard is great for my age. My current rate of growth... it's taken about four years to grow the circle beard, at the rate it is, I'd say another to finish development. And then the sides will start, hopefully.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the encouragement. My goal someday is to have a huge long beard. Or maybe just short full beard with long goat.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:52:47 PM by Bald Hobbit »

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »
Hey mate, I felt the same as you when I was growing up, I knew from a very young age I wanted to grow a beard, all my role models were bearded people, eg, favourite teachers, favourite historical people, etc. I've just always been fascinated by them, and just couldn't wait to grow my own. But just remember with all great things, it takes time to achieve your goals, or else they wouldn't be worth achieving!

Just make the most of what you have now. If you're able to pull off a good looking circle beard then go for it mate! grow it out and just have some fun with it, you'll eventually be able to grow a full beard, and then you can grow out and experiment with that too.

But please don't get down about the fact you can't grow out that massive full beard like you want, just yet. There is no sense beating yourself up about something that is impossible for you to attain at the moment, just sit back and enjoy the ride, when it is possible you're victory beard will be all the sweeter!  O0

benlen

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »
Just make the most of what you have now. If you're able to pull off a good looking circle beard then go for it mate! grow it out and just have some fun with it, you'll eventually be able to grow a full beard, and then you can grow out and experiment with that too.

I agree with beardman. I recently shaved my cheeks and am sporting a circle beard right now. I want a full beard, but in a professional environment (grad school) my cheeks are still too sparse and it appears unprofessional. Since my goatee comes in full within less than a week, it's a good option!

I would suggest NOT growing a full beard until you know it can look good. Nothing screams unkempt or silly like a guy attempting to pull off a style he can't do...a scraggily beard is just like a combover, it don't look good!

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:07 PM »

I agree with beardman. I recently shaved my cheeks and am sporting a circle beard right now. I want a full beard, but in a professional environment (grad school) my cheeks are still too sparse and it appears unprofessional. Since my goatee comes in full within less than a week, it's a good option!

I would suggest NOT growing a full beard until you know it can look good. Nothing screams unkempt or silly like a guy attempting to pull off a style he can't do...a scraggily beard is just like a combover, it don't look good!

Thanks a lot you guys. And Ben, there's no risk of that. Aside from having a similar view, I can't grow anything on my cheeks yet but a few thin, white hairs. I recently let it grow for a week to see what direction it was going though. I shaved those off afterwards, and it just felt wierd. At least my beard's coming in starting in all one part, and not all at once all dispersed, so I can actually wear it.

Thanks for the encouragement. A lot.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:42:44 PM »
You're welcome. You are also right, at least you've got something to work with for now, even if it isn't quite the full beard you are after   :)

Enter your email address: