Author Topic: adjustable de  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Harleyman

• Sly Jr.
adjustable de
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »
I was cleaning out my garage this weekend and came across the double edge razor my dad left me when he passed away,it's a gillette long handle from 1969 butterfly opening and is adjustable I believe the numbers go from 0-to 9,what are these adjustments and what are they for?Can you tell I don't use  de,Thanks.

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Get codes for Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/140224/sampf09f1299b683a4f3.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: adjustable de
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
I was cleaning out my garage this weekend and came across the double edge razor my dad left me when he passed away,it's a gillette long handle from 1969 butterfly opening and is adjustable I believe the numbers go from 0-to 9,what are these adjustments and what are they for?Can you tell I don't use  de,Thanks.

I started shaving (not my head) in the mid-sixties.  I remember these, but I'm not sure exactly what it did.  Probably changed the pitch of the blade in an effort to shave closer or shave more smoothly.  I'll do some research.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Red is correct. Adjusting it will bend the blade so that the edges are at a different angle thus changing the aggressiveness of the razor.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
Yes Red is correct and I think #9 is the most aggressive setting.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:46:43 AM »
I'll second what the other's have said. I have an adjustable DE razor (whose use is currently on hiatus) and the higher the number the more aggressive the razor become.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
I never used a DE for very long.  I had my own money, even at 15-16 years of age, and bought myself a single-edge injector razor.  It was sleek and modern looking and best of all NOT what my father used.  ^-^

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
Nice score!

As the others said the numbers adjust the aggressiveness! You should definitely order a blade sampler and give it a go!
Lynchy

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
Or .... If your not keen in using it you could always sell it. Depending on model and condition it could fetch a handsome sum.
Lynchy

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 04:52:07 PM »
It sounds like you have a Gillette Slim.  If so... it is an excellent razor.  Post some pics of the Gillette Slim.  Are you going to take the DE plunge?  If so... "go for it"  You will not regret it.  Please keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
Where is the best place to order a blade sampler ?  Sorry , maybe I missed it .
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
Hi Switchy:  I got my very 1st blade sampler from Amazon.com.  They got some great choices and prices.  Also check out:  bullgoose shaving,  west coast shaving, razorbladesandmore, italianbarber, lees safety razors.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Harleyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 06:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the replys helped alot..I'm a headblade sport guy double edge is for the true professional which I am not thanks again for the replys.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Get codes for Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/140224/sampf09f1299b683a4f3.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline eric79

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:07:34 PM »
You should give it a chance you never know, you may like the close shave of a DE. If not you can sell it to someone on here or on ebay. I sure if you posted some pics of it you would be able to find someone interested in it. I know I am always on the look out for a good classic Gillette they are great razors.

Eric

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »
Hi Switchy:  I got my very 1st blade sampler from Amazon.com.  They got some great choices and prices.  Also check out:  bullgoose shaving,  west coast shaving, razorbladesandmore, italianbarber, lees safety razors.

WARHAWK O0
Thanks WARHAWK !
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
Thanks for the replys helped alot..I'm a headblade sport guy double edge is for the true professional which I am not thanks again for the replys.

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will mail you a few different blades to try out your find.

Enter your email address: