Author Topic: Show Age  (Read 12470 times)

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
Show Age
« on: January 13, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »
I reckon that it would be good if the age of the poster was shown along with the other data on the left. I'm not talking about the birthdate or anything just the age as is shown in this site:

When people are filling out their profile there could be a checkbox for "Show Age" that people could check if they so desire.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Show Age
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »
 Ah O ::  Looks like someone is looking to make lots of changes and possibly take over this site .......
                      >:D      >:D

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »
Ah O ::  Looks like someone is looking to make lots of changes and possibly take over this site .......
                      >:D      >:D

No, no. Last change -- the site will be perfect after this.

Hey, I love that insect on the screen in your signature -- I had to touch the screen 3 times to make sure that it wasn't real. Now I'll have to go looking to see how it's done.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:01:16 PM by Gary~ »

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »
Hrmm, I really don't know about the age thing... Personally I have no problem with sharing my age with anyone that asks. But I think that there will be people unhappy with sharing their actual age. We do have some minors that and the like, that wouldn't like to show their actual age.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
Hrmm, I really don't know about the age thing... Personally I have no problem with sharing my age with anyone that asks. But I think that there will be people unhappy with sharing their actual age. We do have some minors that and the like, that wouldn't like to show their actual age.

That's why it should be just a check box opt in option. If people don't want to show age then they just don't check the box.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
I don't see a problem with it as long as it is optional....However, as Beardman said, the issue could be with members who are not of consenting age and further, you have to be careful in this age of identity theft. While some of those features are nice to have on a forum like this, sometimes too much information is not always a good thing....
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
I don't see a problem with it as long as it is optional....However, as Beardman said, the issue could be with members who are not of consenting age and further, you have to be careful in this age of identity theft. While some of those features are nice to have on a forum like this, sometimes too much information is not always a good thing....

So true -- that's why you show only the age in years and not any birthdates and if people are concerned they could change their age by a year or so either way.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Re: Re: Show Age
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about this. If someone had your age they are one step closer to having your full birth date information.  In this day and age that's a valuable piece of information.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
Re: Re: Show Age
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about this. If someone had your age they are one step closer to having your full birth date information.  In this day and age that's a valuable piece of information.

I have to agree with you on this I mean just one little piece of information can be identity theft and then all sorts of problems will start

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
Nope. Opt out.

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
Nope. Opt out.

Yep my thoughts exactly.  If I get to know someone through the forums I would have no problem sharing my age with them.  But otherwise no.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »
If you click on someone's profile, you can already see their age there.  That is if they wanted it listed.  It is just not where someone makes a post.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »
If you click on someone's profile, you can already see their age there.  That is if they wanted it listed.  It is just not where someone makes a post.

Adding on to what Marsh said, the comforting thing is that, only SBG members can see members' profile information. Many of us have casually mentioned our ages through posting or whatever. Further, if a member elects to list his/her birthday, a small cake icon will appear next to the member's age on the day that person listed as their birthday. I think for the most part, we all feel pretty comfortable about each other and can share minor details with each other on occasion. That said, I want to remind you gentlemen (and ladies) that if a member is making your visits to the site uncomfortable for whatever reason, PLEASE PM me or another mod immediately. Not saying that this is happening here, and in Gary's defense I know he didn't mean any harm, but it is OK to NOT share things about yourselves that you don't want out there. (FWIW, there is a thread asking what age are you, and any member is welcome to participate in that thread.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:26:12 PM by SlySirHarry13 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
If you click on someone's profile, you can already see their age there.  That is if they wanted it listed.  It is just not where someone makes a post.

Adding on to what Marsh said, the comforting thing is that, only SBG members can see members' profile information. Many of us have casually mentioned our ages through posting or whatever. Further, if a member elects to list his/her birthday, a small cake icon will appear next to the member's age on the day that person listed as their birthday. I think for the most part, we all feel pretty comfortable about each other and can share minor details with each other on occasion. That said, I want to remind you gentlemen (and ladies) that if a member is making your visits to the site uncomfortable for whatever reason, PLEASE PM me or another mod immediately. Not saying that this is happening here, and in Gary's defense I know he didn't mean any harm, but it is OK to NOT share things about yourselves that you don't want out there. (FWIW, there is a thread asking what age are you, and any member is welcome to participate in that thread.)

Oh, that's a good idea I didn't realise that.

Looks like most people want to leave things as they are -- and that's fine because things are pretty darn good here. I figure that it doesn't hurt to mention things though if an idea arises. Can't think of any further "improvements" at the moment.

I love the way that the forum members speak up and say yay or nay because this is what protects the site against unwanted change.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 05:01:03 AM »
I'm also not a fan of this one.I'm not a fan for the reasons stated. Please take no offense Gary.

I'll reiterate what Harry said... if someone is making your time here uncomfortable PLEASE contact a Mod immediately. This is VERY rare here but it has happened and a few people have been banned for it.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields