Author Topic: Show country flags.  (Read 12207 times)

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
Show country flags.
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:11:12 AM »
On another forum that I frequent when a person posts a message along with that person's details on the left of the screen [as on the SBG site] there is also included a small but animated country flag which indicates which country the person is from. I find this quite interesting and often handy.

Many people on SBG don't even indicate which country they are from in their profile but if they got a little animated flag then this would encourage them to provide the country information.

If you go to the page below you can see what I mean:
http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/153981-midnight-commander-4817487/

Offline BBCnorthants

• Sly Jr.
Re: Show country flags.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:16:42 AM »
I agree, it would be nice to know - but from experience on another forum, it can also lead to the formation of cliques, and that can limit conversation rather than encourage it. But yes it would be nice to know where everyone is located.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »
I agree, it would be nice to know - but from experience on another forum, it can also lead to the formation of cliques, and that can limit conversation rather than encourage it. But yes it would be nice to know where everyone is located.

I hadn't thought of that -- hmm...

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
I kind of like the idea. But as you said, a lot of people don't display that kind of information anyway, so might not like the idea of the flags.

I don't think they'd really need to be animated either... just a nice little flag would be enough.

I don't think cliques are really an issue around here, but I could still be proven wrong...

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:32:43 AM »
I don't think cliques are really an issue around here, but I could still be proven wrong...

I wouldn't think so either. I like the idea. If nothing else, it would help my feeble brain to remember where most of you guys are from.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »

I wouldn't think so either. I like the idea. If nothing else, it would help my feeble brain to remember where most of you guys are from.

That's why I like the idea too haha

Offline BBCnorthants

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 01:31:52 AM »
Yeah I like the idea too :) but on the other forum I mentioned, the American guys tended to form a little group of their own, as did the Brits and Canadians (etc) and it caused a bit of a them-and-us posting style which seemed to detract from the topic at hand, and a lot of the users left the group, particularly those from countries which weren't as well represented.

In an ideal world, our locations and nationalities wouldn't make a difference, apart from just being an interesting tidbit of information, but...

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 02:21:05 AM »
Of course there's that possibility and I could be totally wrong. I just get the overall feeling, and have since day 1, that the majority of guys on this particular forum are a bit classier than that.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:19:14 AM »
Most of the longer serving members knows where each other are from here anyway, and we all seem to take that in our stride. There is not really any of that patriotic, I'm from US I'm not going to talk to you cos your Canadian or that kind of thing. We all treat each other as if we are life long friends or family members. That's part of the reason this place has remained so popular over the years I guess!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:40:34 AM »
I think it would be a great idea. It would be terrific to be able to get a mental picture of the culture of the person that you are communicating with.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 07:27:23 AM »
Many of us (at least the frequent posters anyway) have mentioned where we're from be it in an introduction or a thread related to our whereabouts. I would be okay with the flag suggestion, but some members may not be comfortable with the revelation of their location (or of posting an avatar picture of themselves). Ultimately, when people get comfortable, they will reveal more personal details about themselves (perhaps an avatar photo as well?)....my 0.02
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »
I think the people on here love the fact that we are from all over.  It is like you have friends all over the world.  We really have our own culture anyway... sly guys and gals are a notch above the rest, so we have that in common.  The people on this forum are so accepting and non-judgemental, that we embrace our differences while bonding on our big thing in common.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:58:41 AM by slymyke »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
From the level of inclusiveness I have seen from the great guys who frequent here, I don't think cliques would be much of a problem.

But please, no animation!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »
Hey guys, I've added the flags.  To add your flag to your profile, click on Profile on the forum menu and then go to Forum Profile Information and choose your country.  Your flag will then show on your profile.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
Hey guys, I've added the flags.  To add your flag to your profile, click on Profile on the forum menu and then go to Forum Profile Information and choose your country.  Your flag will then show on your profile.

Awesome thanks Tyler!