Author Topic: Does anyone still have/use a VCR?  (Read 8436 times)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Does anyone still have/use a VCR?
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:30:53 AM »
Hey SBG's- Last New Year's Eve (12/31/11) I pulled out my old Sony VCR to check out some old home videos. When it asked me to set the date, the year wouldn't go past 1999. I told a buddy about this and he said that his VCR did the same thing and that he subtracted 28 years from the current year and the day, month and date would fall in line just like normal. I thought about this and realized that the 2000 calendar was the exact same calendar that was used in my birth year (1972)! So I set the year to 1984, and the calendar kept up just the same even on February 29th (Wednesday). So, the VCR is now reading MON 1/7/1985. So I guess (assuming the thing works that far) in 2028 I just have to go back to 1972. Anyone else still using VCR's or any other outdated electronics?

Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
Re: Does anyone still have/use a VCR?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »
I still have a couple of them and my wife looks at old stuff from time to time.  She was just given a shopping bag of brand new tapes; what she will use them for I have no clue.

As to the date and time it still blinks12:00, just as it did from day one.

Offline MikeM

• Sly
  • With two ears and 50 pounds of kid.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
Yep. We have two young kids in the house (4 and 6). The local public library still has some VCR tapes in circulation, although now the collections are mostly DVD (and digital download/subscription). But mostly we buy old tapes at the library sell offs for about 25 cents apiece. This way we have a nice supply of fresh things for the kids to watch (that we've selected), but at low cost. If a tape breaks or becomes unwatchable, oh well (so far this hasn't been a major problem).

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 07:26:19 AM »
Sure.  Why not?

I still have all the vinyl LPS I collected over about thirty years.  And I still own a record player, too.

I also have a DVD player and a CD player (and hundreds of CDs; not so many DVDs)..

The VHS?  Well, when the libraries and yard sale folks were dumping their VHS tapes, I got a lot of nice trash for less than a dollar each; sometimes for only a quarter.  What's not to like? 

You say there are no "extended versions" on tapes?  No "extra features"?  Yawn.

Trash is trash, and whether off a DVD or a VHS tape, I don't much care.  With a tape you can't succumb to the twitchy urge to jump to the next "Chapter."  It slows you down, and not in a bad way.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:33:05 AM »
We still have one. My kids still enjoy watching some of the movies that the watched when they were much younger.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
VCR, vinyl LPs ( I play on direct drive quartz turntable), cassettes but no 8-tracks.  Yes ... I even have letters typed on manual typewriter and autographed ... yes autographed by .... LAWRENCE WELK !  who ???  I need to have a garage sale and raise some money to buy razor blades .... LOL !

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »
VCR ?

Is that we called a video recorder ?

Have a I fallen through a window into the early 1990s ?  :D

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:29:56 PM »
We still have one. Haven't used it in years. Makes mw wonder why I'm letting it take up room in the closet.

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
Oh used to use a VCR until last week and it broke. I also play with the playstation 1 and I love to play it especially frogger

Offline Petunia

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »
Yes.  We have a DVD/VHS player together.  Love to watch old home movies of when we were younger.
"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together...Keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever".    Winnie the Pooh

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »
I have one, but the last time I watched a video on it, I received a phone call right afterwards saying I was going to die in seven days.  :P
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
Always will have one like some of the old VCR movies and have some also.  Many of them such as the God Father, Dirty Harry, etc.  I know the lines as well as the actors.  John Wayne,  can't remember my address but I know the movies !   ;)  8).
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 05:25:43 PM »
Yes! We do, and we watch older favorite movies on the VHS tapes.

Also family videos that we have not converted to DVD yet. Last Christmas bought a recorder that would do the dubbing, but we've not done the dubbing yet.  Need to get to that.

Offline BBCnorthants

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
I haven't had one for about 13 or 14 years. I got rid of it (and all my video cassettes) when I converted to DVD's, and now I don't even have a DVD player. All my DVDs were copied into iTunes about 5 years ago, and now everything I have is on my computer.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 06:45:32 PM »
Yup ... add another VCR to the inventory count.

I've never "moved up" to DVD or Netflix.

Not much of a video person.  For me, with "more and more to choose from" there seems to be "less and less quality" with well-crafted plots and dialog. When most of the office chatter is about "Honey Boo Boo" I'm comfortable with my decision.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012