Author Topic: Straight edge razors  (Read 914 times)

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
Straight edge razors
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
Well I was wondering if any of you guys use a straight edge razor to shave your head I have been thinking about using one to use on my face but not sure if I should use it on my head. Any advise is welcome and is needed

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
Re: Straight edge razors
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:54:28 AM »
I read on a straight edge site that it is difficult to shave your skull with them. One bloke said it took him 75 shaves until he could do it properly. Didn't say how may cuts he got along the way though.

The other thing is from what I've read is that they require a bit of maintenance. The daily stropping is ok but every six months they need to be honed which requires some skill and if done incorrectly can ruin the razor. On the other hand you can get straight razors now with disposable edges so they wouldn't need honing, just stropping.

Too much trouble for me but if you put the time, effort and money into it you could become an expert. And pretty bad-ass when you can say to the girls 'of course I use a straight razor to shave my head -- what else is there?'. You could say you use a Bowie knife when camping.

Just wanted to say well done on being shaven-headed at high school -- that's gotta be rare.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:59:44 AM by Gary~ »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:50:02 AM »
I do have a Fromm Straight Edge razor, but ever since I tried DE razor shaving, I haven't used it in a good eight months at least. I will say that it works better when you have a little peach fuzz (about two days growth) than to use it on an everyday basis. However, be careful; you can get a gusher from one of those things!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:45:52 AM »
OK thanks guys for the help it will give me something to think about