Author Topic: Oily Head  (Read 74501 times)

Offline Witness

• Sly Guy in Training
Oily Head
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
I think the title is pretty self-explanatory.
My head is too oily! Only 2-3 hours after having a shower my head becomes an oily mess. I don't mind the look of it but it's really disgusting to whoever touches it so an awkward moments occurs whenever someone does so.

So far I have tried washing my head more often (3-4 times a day), and using a so called oil control shampoo but with little success. What's really weird is that the oil appears only where I have (or used to have) hair. No oily forehead or face!

So I would love to hear your recommendations for anti-oil products (shampoos, after-shave creams or whatever). After a look at a few topics I noticed many people complaining about a too shiny head but I don't think it's the same issue as mine.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: Oily Head
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »
I know exactly what you mean, and I have no solution.

Whenever I use the restroom, after I wash my hands I take a damp towel and do a quick swipe across my scalp.

Usually before bed I'll take a hot towel and do the same.

This isn't anything new because of shaving my head - my scalp has always been oily. It's just much more annoying now because there's no hair to absorb/cover it.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Witness

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
Well the problem is that when I'm not home there's nothing I can do about it. And washing my head in the university's public restrooms isn't much of an option.

There must be a solution but I think I have to look towards drug products and not cosmetic stuff. If I find anything I'll update this post.

Thanks anyway!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
I have the exact same problem. That's one big reason I decide to go sly in the first place: it's the ultimate in dandruff control.

Not that I'll ever let my hair grow back, but I'd love to find a solution. Like you, I like a shiny dome but I'm a little hesitant to let people touch it.
Hair is over rated.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
I think this is a pretty common thing--without hair to take the oil and secretions away from the scalp they just sit and create a oily sensation.  I have to reiterate Frontier Guy's suggestion.  Take one of the paper towels in the bathroom, moisten it well with cool water and wipe down your scalp--I do this everyday after lunch in the men's room at the office.  I usually use two, after cleaning up with the first, I get a second pass.  Then when I get home at night I duck the melon under the faucet and give it a nice wash with soap.  It's not perfect, but it works well enough. 

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
That's probably the best, and easiest, way to go.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:15:31 PM »
I agree with FG and saintc. Also, if you have the means (room) to do so, carry some hypoallergenic wipes around with you for a quick wipe n toss when need be. Baby wipes are awesome for it.  O0
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »
I bought some makeup removal wipes, I just keep those in my bag/desk. A couple of times a day I will just give the head a quick wipe over, which brings it back to the post shower state.

Are you moisturizing your head? For me, if I don't moisturise my face, my skin seems to over compensate and become really oily. Counter intuitive know, but it's something to consider.
Lynchy

Offline Witness

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:43:52 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations people, I think I'll try the wet wipes solution. I always moisturize my head with a little bit of after shave, however the more after shave I use the more oily my head gets after a while.

I think the oily head has to do with the male pattern baldness too. I have noticed that the most oily part of my head is the front where my old hairline used to be. I remember reading on an MPB forum that androgens play an important role on how the sebaceous glands work so there must be a connection between those too.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations people, I think I'll try the wet wipes solution. I always moisturize my head with a little bit of after shave, however the more after shave I use the more oily my head gets after a while.

I think the oily head has to do with the male pattern baldness too. I have noticed that the most oily part of my head is the front where my old hairline used to be. I remember reading on an MPB forum that androgens play an important role on how the sebaceous glands work so there must be a connection between those too.
There you said it alot of aftershave as not only alcohol in it but other items that will make the oil  ;) O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »
I reckon that I have the solution.

I have always had an oily head and not having hair hasn't changed this. When you use wipes or wash it too often the scalp just compensates by making more oil.

To easily solve your problem do these 2 things:
1. Don't use any moisturiser on your scalp unless you have to ie it gets too dry [which is not your problem] and
2. Every few hours or so when you notice the oil use a completely dry microfibre cloth to wipe the oil off. It will completely remove the surface oil in a couple of swipes but because you're not removing anything below the surface as with baby wipes or whatever you are not stimulating the scalp to produce more oil.

You don't have to go to the bathroom or whatever -- it only takes 8 seconds -- I just timed it. It is also better for the environment than wipes and washing and will leave your brain-box nice and matte.

I use a microfibre face washer that is made in China and cost $1. Every time I do a wash it goes in with everything else and is then good to go again -- just remember -- no fabric softeners. It's the flat/angular shape of the extruded fibre that is the reason that it removes oil so much better than any other cloth.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:42:13 AM by Gary~ »

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »
Washing your face/head too much will only make it really dry, causing your face/head to produce more oils, which will not only give you a greasy sweaty head but also give you pimples/spots, flustered looking appearance. Wash morning and night, and try using a aftershave after shaving, I find it really helps to tighten my head up and leave it very soft and smooth. I'd stay away from gel like products.

benlen

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
I'm no expert but, depending upon age and skin type (many folks naturally have oily skin) oily skin can be a real pain or manageable.

I have mildly oily skin myself on my dome and face.

In terms of my experience with skin on my head and face, I've found that the environment I'm in (such as a workplace) my amount of exercise and my DIET have a huge effect on the oil of my skin.

As a sly guy, working out feels great. If you work out already, keep it up, if not, start! Working out clears crap out of your skin and makes it look and feel better. Working out regularly makes your body and your biggest organ, your skin, work more efficiently.

If you're not properly showering and cleaning you skin, do so. Purchase stuff like clearasil, and use it on your face twice daily. I wouldn't recommend it for the head, though. Just use a mild conditioner with aloe vera, which can absorb bad stuff from your skin and unclog your pores.

Lastly, diet DIET is the biggest factor. Junk foods lead to break outs on the face and excessive oil on your head. I eat a vegan diet, but you by no means have to go to such a diet to get good results. Eat whole grains, lean meats and fish, and stay away from fast food and junk food.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:23:30 AM »
I carry a package of handiwipes in my case and use them to control the oil problem as well as keeping my hands clean. I find that the slight alcohol content tames the problem better than water. At least for a time. I've never tried the hand sanitizer that is semi-liquid and dries as you rub it in. Might give that a shot as well.

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:30:31 AM »
Hi. I'm very new here & I just started a thread before I saw this one already existed. I use an alum block. It's like a clear stone that I rub on my scalp. I think it's supposed to be used as an antiseptic (side-bar; I use it on my face as well & it has eliminated my chronic shaving rash which I suffered after almost every shave since I was 12) but it works wonders on the oily scalp. I rub it on straight after the shave then, on the shower, just rinse with water. Head feels squeaky "dry" even under the water & the effect lasts all day.
Doesn't have to be washed off. I just usually shower after a shave. Sometimes I rub the alum on after the shower instead of before. It has no scent.
I had the most disgusting oily head I could imagine. I actually asked about it on other forums in desperation (I didn't know this forum existed).
I hope this helps :)