Author Topic: Bow and Arrow Hunting and Target shooting  (Read 5755 times)

Offline sam2021

• Sly Jr.
Bow and Arrow Hunting and Target shooting
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »
I shoot a Hoyt Buffalo recurve.  I was wondering if anyone else bow hunts for does back yard shooting?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Bow and Arrow Hunting and Target shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »
Just rifle shooting here...  #u#T3r
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »
I've dabbled in archery the last couple years, I should start with it again. I have three bows, one compound bow, and one crossbow. I haven't used the last two yet. It is really enjoyable though.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
Have to go with Tyler.  Even as a kid never was good with bow and arrow's.    I have friends that really enjoy it .  And as far as hunting , to me that is true hunting .  Takes alot of skill.   O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
I don't want to get controversial or judgemental here but I feel that I must say something.

The 'Golden Rule' [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule ] also known as 'do unto others ...' has been internalised into most religions and ethics systems for good reasons.

Why shouldn't this be extended to non-human animals? I wouldn't want an arrow through my guts, you wouldn't want one in your guts and neither would any poor animal. The philosopher Peter Singer writes very eloquently about this sort of thing.

Now target shooting would be a lot of fun and quite interesting -- what with all the hi-tech stuff available. Wouldn't mind giving it a try myself.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »
I don't want to get controversial or judgemental here but I feel that I must say something.

The 'Golden Rule' [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule ] also known as 'do unto others ...' has been internalised into most religions and ethics systems for good reasons.

Why shouldn't this be extended to non-human animals? I wouldn't want an arrow through my guts, you wouldn't want one in your guts and neither would any poor animal. The philosopher Peter Singer writes very eloquently about this sort of thing.

Now target shooting would be a lot of fun and quite interesting -- what with all the hi-tech stuff available. Wouldn't mind giving it a try myself.

I don't think I would kill anything without intending to eat it first, or to use it as resources. I don't believe animals are at the same level as humans, but I believe they should be respected and be protected from abuse and cruelty.

Now please note, I have never killed an animal, unless some bugs count.

Otherwise, I actually find that the lower-tech used in the bow, the more fun it is. I hate using sights, it feels like using a crutch, or cheating. Not that they help me much anyways. I prefer traditional bows over compound bows. I'd like to imagine that I might be able to provide for myself in the medieval era.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »

I don't think I would kill anything without intending to eat it first, or to use it as resources. I don't believe animals are at the same level as humans, but I believe they should be respected and be protected from abuse and cruelty.

Now please note, I have never killed an animal, unless some bugs count.

Otherwise, I actually find that the lower-tech used in the bow, the more fun it is. I hate using sights, it feels like using a crutch, or cheating. Not that they help me much anyways. I prefer traditional bows over compound bows. I'd like to imagine that I might be able to provide for myself in the medieval era.

Of course, you are right. Animals are different from humans and no-one in their right mind wants to see abuse and cruelty.

Unfortunately, I once had to witness a shocking animal slaughter [dozens of kangaroos killed] perpetrated by a bunch of very drunk blokes. They loved it. Virtually everything was wasted and left to rot.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »

Unfortunately, I once had to witness a shocking animal slaughter [dozens of kangaroos killed] perpetrated by a bunch of very drunk blokes. They loved it. Virtually everything was wasted and left to rot.

That's disgusting.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
I will admit that I have hunted for animals in the past.  But the animal I shot were used for food.  I have not hunted for many years.  But if hunting is the way to feed your family , I have no problems with it.  I love animals , and I do not believe in any abuse or killing for fun just to be doing it !

Target shooting with either Archery or Guns .  I have no problem with.

"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »

That's disgusting.

Yeh, actually I didn't want to say because I still don't like thinking about it but I will tell you so you can see where I'm coming from. The real horror [and I don't use the word lightly] of that night was that they were cutting off limbs and tails etc while the majority of the animals were still very much alive. They just left them alive like that.

I didn't drink in those days and I was the only sober one -- my boss at the time kept coming over to me and wanting me to join in the 'fun' -- he couldn't understand why I wouldn't. Soon after that we had a bad falling out and I explained to him exactly how I felt about it. He was really shocked and apparently hurt that I could feel that way -- go figure.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »

That's disgusting.

Yeh, actually I didn't want to say because I still don't like thinking about it but I will tell you so you can see where I'm coming from. The real horror [and I don't use the word lightly] of that night was that they were cutting off limbs and tails etc while the majority of the animals were still very much alive. They just left them alive like that.

I didn't drink in those days and I was the only sober one -- my boss at the time kept coming over to me and wanting me to join in the 'fun' -- he couldn't understand why I wouldn't. Soon after that we had a bad falling out and I explained to him exactly how I felt about it. He was really shocked and apparently hurt that I could feel that way -- go figure.
That is really sick , I am glad that you expressed yourself !  I have seen things but after the fact.  Big tough guys eh . >:D
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline sam2021

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
old indian proverb hunt to eat.  take the animal and use everything.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »
old indian proverb hunt to eat.  take the animal and use everything.

Yeah, if they had done that they would have killed just one kangaroo and they would have killed it properly so they could eat it.