Author Topic: Considering quitting and getting healthier in 2013  (Read 10227 times)

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
Considering quitting and getting healthier in 2013
« on: December 27, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »
Hey guys, For anyone who smokes are you considering quitting in the new year? Bottom line I am a closet smoker and have been for about 30 years- about 3-5 per day tops. I know I need to quit but to be honest love smoking. Anyone have any thoughts or in the same boat? Harder to have support when the smoking is not out there to everyone.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Considering quitting and getting healthier in 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
Good luck with it!  You'll feel the benefits as quickly as a few weeks after giving up, according to my mum anyway! 

I have to ask, what is a closet smoker?

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
Hey guys, For anyone who smokes are you considering quitting in the new year? Bottom line I am a closet smoker and have been for about 30 years- about 3-5 per day tops. I know I need to quit but to be honest love smoking. Anyone have any thoughts or in the same boat? Harder to have support when the smoking is not out there to everyone.
Yuk,  lol that is from a guy that has smoked for the most share of his sorry life.  I hope when you say 3-5 it is cigs a day !  I have smoked that many packs a day.  Should have bought the farm.  Then got to just smoking expensive cigars. But had a resp. scare. couldn't breath gave it all up and thought do I like to breath or smoke ?  Like breathing better , by along shot.  besides I stunk, in clothing, body, car. closet ( ;D )  short and sweet it will kill you.  

Through them down and don't look back .   O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
How have you managed to keep it a secret for so long? How do you cover up the smell?

Offline Psycho

• Psycho
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
I smoked for close to 15 years, I was smoking a pack to a pack & a half a day towards the end!
Then my wife & I found out we were going to parents, so I slapped the patch on & I quit a month and a half before the patch said I was suppose to & it was 5 years smoke free in October!
BUT! I still crave & want one! often! I'm sorry to say.
Just make sure your doing it cause you want to so you don't set yourself up for failure.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:32:15 PM by Psycho »
Psycho

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »
I have to ask the smokers out there a question.  Why did any of you start in the first place?  It has been known for years that it is very bad for you.  I also think that is just plain doesn't smell good.  Nor is it really cool to  have a flaming stick of weeds sticking out or your mouth?  I have never gotten the attraction to cigarettes?  My mom and my grandmother smoked like chimneys and I got to smell it in the back seat of the car and hated it as a child!

Anyway, I am not trying to be harsh on anyone.  Nor do I want to throw stones.  I know I have my issues with food that  could kill me if I don't finally lose the weight.  To me the only thing that  differentiates overeating with smoking is that  one has to eat to live.  But why would anyone want to start smoking?

Having said that, I hope that all of you who are trying to quit are successful in your journey!   O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »
How have you managed to keep it a secret for so long? How do you cover up the smell?

That's what I was thinking.  Everyone I've ever met who smoked could be smelled as soon as they entered a room.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:34:28 AM »
Smokers don't think that the smell. Good luck pardner. Just take it one day at a time. That's the way I did it.

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »
I quit after almost 50 years of 1 to 2 packs a day.  After 2 years I only miss it once in awhile.  I quit because of price.  If I could buy them for a buck or two I would still be puffing.  I do feel better, but If my level of addiction was only 3 to 5 a day I would never had tried to quit.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:02:51 AM »
  I quit because of price

I was standing in line at a 7-11 recently behind a guy who said he was saving $200 a month since he quit smoking.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 05:43:41 AM »
Thanks guys for the encouragement- I am going to try to do this once and  for all this time.  Just wish I did not enjoy it so much still and to be honest since going sly I feel like it enhanced the look of me smoking for some strange reason. Walking is an excellent replacement- that being said we just had a snow storm with slush and ice underneath.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »
I have to ask the smokers out there a question.  Why did any of you start in the first place?  It has been known for years that it is very bad for you.  I also think that is just plain doesn't smell good.  Nor is it really cool to  have a flaming stick of weeds sticking out or your mouth?  I have never gotten the attraction to cigarettes?  My mom and my grandmother smoked like chimneys and I got to smell it in the back seat of the car and hated it as a child!

Anyway, I am not trying to be harsh on anyone.  Nor do I want to throw stones.  I know I have my issues with food that  could kill me if I don't finally lose the weight.  To me the only thing that  differentiates overeating with smoking is that  one has to eat to live.  But why would anyone want to start smoking?

Having said that, I hope that all of you who are trying to quit are successful in your journey!   O0
I started smoking when I was 7 yoa my girlfriend stole them from her mom and we wanted to act growen up.   :/O  Back in the day of the 50's -60's it was cool to smoke and stink  ;D  It was on TV and the tough guys smoked.  I wish I had never started and have paid the price for it.  I don't smoke today for that is the main thing.  Hope marshd1000 answered your question.
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
Give. UP.

Best decision I ever made. My life was governed by when I would have my next cigarette. I loved it and enjoyed it but I was a slave to it. 40 a day (two packs)

3 years off. Now enjoy running.

You'll feel the benefit
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:41:49 PM by isleepinthebuff »

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »

Well for me, my dad was a 4-5 pack a day smoker all my life growing up. I never noticed a smell because frankly, even in middle school my clothes were full of the smell. It was normal. I started smoking at 15. My dad used to send me to the store to buy his smokes for him and back then it wasn't any huge deal for minors to buy cigs for their parents so I started buying an extra pack for myself. I still smoke now. Kept going through High School and College, even though I played baseball and football and scored myself an extra 6 laps for every cig I was caught with (pain..so much pain). It's only now that I'm 32 and my once 44 inch chest has relocated to my mid-section and I'm considering getting back on the thrice a day workout wagon, that I'm considering putting the damn things down.

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
Quitted 2 years ago. Avoiding occasions and changing habits  when i used to smoke helped at the beginning.
Saving the money to get into a new Hobby helped as well. (i had over 200  $ a month)
It feels good not to smoke anymore.
Good Luck !