Author Topic: Nervous...  (Read 11578 times)

Offline RichardN.

• Sly
Nervous...
« on: June 01, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »
Last summer I shaved my head but it made me a little nervous & uncomfortable.  Everyone had to mention it to me.  I hated standing out so much.  Why do people have to make comments?  Negative & positive?  Does anyone have any advice on how to handle unwanted attention?

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Nervous...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:10:43 PM »
Questions like these all go towards your own view of your appearance. I would guess to say that most of the SBG's will tell you that their self-confidence has greatly improved since they made the decision to go sly...I know mine has. I love my new look!!! And really, if others don't like it, screw 'em. My wife doesn't like mine, but I love it and I have no intention on growing my hair back.

As far as "standing out", there are only a few SBG's where I live. But, when there is an SBG encounter, I usually joke and say, "Hey Bud, I see we go to the same barber....I call it the HAIR DON'T" (as opposed to the Hair-Do). I usually make it a point to make this joke with other people around. The people that hear it usually chuckle and I've had lay-days occasionally give me a big smile and say "I like that".

It's a confidence thing. Crack open a beer & march to your own drummer, Rich!  O0
Cheers!
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »
Maybe if you realize that the reason you stand out is more than appearance it might help!

You have made a bold stand for your own values, that challanges other people or "sheeple" who themselves are conformed to what they think others expect in order to be accepted by them.  You, clearly are not!

There comes a point where we just have to stop letting ourselves care what other people think, a SBG has done just that.

You are no longer a "sheep" bro... that's what makes you stand out!   O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »
I would love to add something, but I think the Sarge and Schro have said what I would have.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline RichardN.

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:18:29 PM »
Thanks guys!  I working on getting up my nerve again.  I'll keep you posted!

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 05:33:37 PM »
I strongly agree with the others, there is nothing elst to say on this topic.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

jusbnme

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
The Sarge and Schro said it like it is bro.  Just enjoy the new you. 

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »
welcome richard.....the reason why you didnt stick with it last summer is because you wasn't a SBG  O0 now that you found this place you'll learn how to perfect the Sly guy attitude in order to rock the look O0
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

JohnMont

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 06:20:51 PM »
Questions like these all go towards your own view of your appearance. I would guess to say that most of the SBG's will tell you that their self-confidence has greatly improved since they made the decision to go sly...I know mine has. I love my new look!!! And really, if others don't like it, screw 'em. My wife doesn't like mine, but I love it and I have no intention on growing my hair back.

As far as "standing out", there are only a few SBG's where I live. But, when there is an SBG encounter, I usually joke and say, "Hey Bud, I see we go to the same barber....I call it the HAIR DON'T" (as opposed to the Hair-Do). I usually make it a point to make this joke with other people around. The people that hear it usually chuckle and I've had lay-days occasionally give me a big smile and say "I like that".

It's a confidence thing. Crack open a beer & march to your own drummer, Rich!  O0
Cheers!
Schro

Question, Schro; just how does you wife 'live with it'?  does it cause any strain?  does she just slightly dislike it or does she HATE it?  I ask because my wife is very unreceptive to the idea; and I'm wondering just how unhappy she'd be with me 'sly'?  (huh ... maybe I should just ask HER?  :-X

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »
Hi John, if I can quickly jump in...

My wife does not like my new look either.  I explained to her how I felt about both, having to deal with my "very thin" hair and the literal bondage I felt I was in to maintain it, and the freedom and confidence I felt by going SLY.

Well, like married couples are supposed to do, my wife put me first in her heart, desiring what made me happy above her own happiness.  I know, I have a very rare one and am totally blessed!   :@`

I think the key was taking the time to really explain things and make her part of the decision!

Sarge

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

JohnMont

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 03:49:13 PM »
Thanks for the wise words, brother Sarge.  Openess and honesty are the key things, I agree.  Part of my mistake is not sharing with my wife my feelings about my thinning hair; the look I want to achieve, and why I want it.  You've given me "food for thought" and maybe even the extra ounce of courage I need to go all the way.

John

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 04:23:55 PM »
 O0 Let me tell you. If you love your wife and she shares our grief over balding, then share with her, make her a part of the the you you have to be. Gott sei Dank, my wife understood the agony of male pattern baldness and ENCOURAGED me to take the next step, slyness. It is not easy. You have to come to grips with what nature/genetics has decreed. That said, the bald, gleaming male dome is glorious. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 04:25:26 PM »
JohnMont,

There is one thing I can't understand about your situation.  You are so close to being naturally bald already (at least that's what your pic conveys to me), so what is it that turns your wife off to just finishing the job?  There isn't much difference between completely shaved and your current hair (what there is of it) trimmed very short.  Maybe you will look many years younger and more sexy to other women (just a thought since I don't know her or you) and that maybe that makes her nervous.  I'm just perplexed.   :/O
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:27:09 PM by Stew »
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Rhymez

• McGarry
  • Super Sly
  • Hip Hop 4 Life!
    • Notorious R-MC
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 04:34:10 PM »
With me, It stopped after a week or two. If you keep on doing it, people wont say a word. They just got to get used to it. If it makes you happy, dont worry what others think.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 04:37:05 PM »

Cheers!
Schro

Question, Schro; just how does you wife 'live with it'?  does it cause any strain?  does she just slightly dislike it or does she HATE it?  I ask because my wife is very unreceptive to the idea; and I'm wondering just how unhappy she'd be with me 'sly'?  (huh ... maybe I should just ask HER?  :-X

Initially, she really disliked it. A couple of months ago, she made a snide comment about me prepping the nugget for a night out, and I opened up on her. I told her (paraphrase) "You have told me on many occasions that you don't like it. I'm sorry you don't, but I DO. It's my head, not yours, and this is the look I have chosen".

She hasn't said anything since. Yyou would think the fact that I'm not scratching my scalp 24/7 would be enough evidence to accept the SLY look.

Women, can't live with em.......God, I need a beer.
Oops, sorry for the God reference. Did I offend anyone?

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.