Author Topic: Advice on Razor vs clipper, aftercare etc - Newbie  (Read 24463 times)

Offline balderandbalder

• Learning the way of Sly
Advice on Razor vs clipper, aftercare etc - Newbie
« on: December 20, 2012, 03:49:44 AM »
Hi All

New to forum.

As a 30yr old with thinner and thinner hair, I have been clipping my head for about 18 months now.

I use a cheap rechargeable beard trimmer with no blade so essentially a zero.(similar to this one...http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_324005002663MISC?CMP=OTC-GOOGLEPS&tmcampid=28&tmad=c&adtype=pla) This does tend to work well and i can do it myself over the bath with or without a mirror. (I do have a cheap plug in hair shaver but it does not give as clean a shave and needs to be plugged in to the mains.

However the beard trimmer is not ideal for a few reasons....

1) The blade isnt as wide as a plug in head shaver so it takes a little longer. (About 5 or so minutes in total) - About once a week.
2) Leaning over the bath so it catches all the hair is annoying
3) With the top of my head being thinner, even a close shave with the trimmer can show the bald top and shaved sides. (Really dont fancy the Rex Linn look  http://wwwcdn.channel5.com/assets/images/000/000/146/full_left_column_CSI__Miami_-_Frank_-_small.jpg?1282562400)

So.......

I have a 3 circular head electric beard shaver. (again cheapish - £40/$60ish, similar to http://www.very.co.uk/remington-r3150-dual-360-shaver/926757207.prd?aff=google&affsrc=acquisition&cm_mmc=google-_-Electricals-_-ELECTRICAL_AND_SEASONAL_ELECTRICAL_PERSONAL_CARE_SEAS_MENS_GROOMING_PK233-_-R3150_Dual_360_Shaver_81APqPOV )
Would this work on my head?
Before i try it i need guidance as i really dont want to start shredding my scalp!!!

The possible advantages i see of using the beard shaver are:
1) Closer shave than head clippers??
2) The beard shaver i have is waterproof so i can not only use it in the shower to save time but it also catches most of the hair inside (obviously)
3) Due to it being more convenient in the shower, I can shave more often and it wont be an annoying weekly task.

If this is not ideal, can someone point me in the direction of a decent low/medium priced waterproof shaver of some sort that will solve my issues??

NB - Have a couple of very small moles on my head that are not very raised and so may or may not be able to remove at doctors.
They do not create a problem with my beard trimmer if i am careful around them but i reckon if i use a wet shave razor i could slice them so trying to avoid "Bic-ing" my head at present.

PS - Im also assuming usual post shave headcare is needed if using electric shaver in shower? M current shaver doesnt give a close enough shave for moisturising etc to be warranted!!

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long post and links!!!!

J

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: Advice on Razor vs clipper, aftercare etc - Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
Welcome, If I were you I would buy a Head Blade Sport and a bottle of Head Blade Slick and shave it .  It will make you very happy ! 
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Andrei

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
Welcome J,

I must admit I'm a noob regarding electric shavers.
Have you tried shaving with a razor?

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Welcome,

Sorry I haven't used an electric on the head so can't be overly helpful.

For me I find a razor is the easiest option. You should give it a go.

Cheers
Lynchy

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
I use a circular head electric razor very similar to what you have shown, and have gotten excellent results.  The trick seems to be to take it slow, go over the area several times in different directions, and empty the heads often.  With some effort I can get a silky smooth shave on my head.  If I have not shaved for a while, though, I can get a lttle razor burn on my neck in the tender area just below the ears, but if I shave regularly, this does not happen.  Since you already have the electric razor, I would say to give it a try first, and if you are not satisfied with the results, then go to a blade.  BTW, I also have several small bumps and raised areas on my head, and the razor glides right over them with no problem.  Hope this helps.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
I have one of those Norellco triple heads , I only use it if I have a cut on my dome.  Otherwise I shave with HB Sport.  To each his own or her own  ;)  always got a Razor burn on the neck with a Electric and it would take me forever.  I do have plenty of time but  ;D but when I use the sport it hasn't grown out in 2 hours .  O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Brownimation

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:45:49 PM »
I've also used a similar electric rotary razor with pretty good results.  I also used the conair cleanhead for a while, although I don't think it can be used wet.  Ultimately I started using the Headblade because I found a razor shave to be quicker and longer lasting than the electrics.  I hear you about the moles though.  I have quite a few on my head that I've had to be careful about.  Still trying to figure out any tricks other than to just go lightly over those spots.

Offline balderandbalder

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 02:59:23 PM »
Just for anyone following the post.....

I bought the panasonic rt53 wet/dry shaver. (normally £130/170ish USD?) for £50 (75USD)

Used it this morning and like the results. Very smooth head.(used wet with foam)
No burn whatsoever and no sensitivity. Followed with Nivea post shave.

Unfortunately the wife likes me to have a tiny bit of hair (shaved "hair" and Not "head" if you like) so she wasnt best pleased!!!!

She may need convincing but thanks for the help!!!!!