Author Topic: myth of male pattern baldness  (Read 8423 times)

Offline MarkusToe

• Sly
  • spring is coming
myth of male pattern baldness
« on: December 20, 2012, 03:27:49 AM »
Hey Guys,

I am new on this forum. I'm a 26 year old guy who is already having a norwood 3 hairstyle - not long and I will join you - at the moment I'm in a little fear - that I'll never find an attractive girlfriend again, that my self-esteem will be shattered, that I'll get strange reactions, etc. - you know what I'm talking about.

the reason why I'm posting here in the Diet section is that I'm reading the blog of Danny Roddy - he is a guy who states that he stopped his hair loss through a special diet - maybe some of you already heard from him - here's a link to a special blog post from his site where he talks about different hormones which cause baldness - I did some lab works and as he predicted, all my stats where in the not normal range - he already collected some more lab-results from his readers and he found a certain trend - so here is the blog post http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/the-myth-of-male-pattern-baldnes

I would find it very interesting if anyone of you found somehow out your hormones are slightly off too - if you have some I think it would be great if you would send them to Danny - I think he is on something

But let me make clear that I don't want to make any advertising for Danny and his Blog - just wanted to share a topic I find interesting

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: myth of male pattern baldness
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
Son there is alot out there about hormone's and the need of this and that.  And many years ago I asked Dr.'s about this and baldness is just one of those things that are not in hormone treatment.   Some people are born to be hairy and others aren't , there are still many things to be known about humans. 
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
Although I know that certain deficiencies can result in hair loss, the main cause is genetic--that can't be changed by diet.  It can be effected short term with drugs, with side effects, but never stopped.  It isn't a disease, a disability or anything that's "wrong" with you although there are lots of people who will try to sell you stuff by encouraging you to believe mpb can be "cured."  Trust us, the only safe and sane way to deal with mpb if you don't want a receding hairline or a hairy toilet seat (apparently some guys actually like that :o)  is to shave the remainder off, go Sly and happy.  It works without any side effects except in most instances increased confidence and happiness.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:30:09 PM »
I suspect that, given enough time, and if age did not cause withering of the body(as in, no death from old age), ultimately all or most men would arrive at having little hair. It's just part of physical masculinity.

Andrei

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
If there was a cure to balding (other than shaving) then I suspect a lot of rich people, public figures, politicians, businessmen would use that treatment and wouldn't be bald (only if they would chose it as a haircut) but that's not the case.
A healthy diet can't harm, but I wouldn't put my hopes up in that curing balding.

PS: I'm BBC, but if I were to be balding (and probably at some point in life that time will come)... well you already know what I would chose  :)

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
There's more YouTube guys out there promoting hairgrowth and combatting male pattern baldness.  This one young kid talks about all these herbs and stuff he takes and yet he is clearly balding but hides with hairspray and stuff and denies he's losing hair.  To each his own.  You can't fight nature and if you are in good health, just accept baldness !

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »
I suspect that, given enough time, and if age did not cause withering of the body(as in, no death from old age), ultimately all or most men would arrive at having little hair. It's just part of physical masculinity.
Ouch !  ;D 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline MarkusToe

• Sly
  • spring is coming
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:03:17 PM »
I just wonder if all of the sly bald guys would get more or less the same results when they would do lab tests? would be interesting for future research

Offline RichieRichie

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »
He's sorta right but mostly wrong.

Yes, hypo/hyperthyroidism can cause hair loss, and so can abnormalities in prolactin and other hormones (ie. postpartum hair loss in women). But certainly the majority of hair loss in males is MPB, and DHT has been identified as the key in the pathogenesis. It ain't no myth!

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
Until I went Sly last July I did not take notice of the existence or degree of MPD.  Since then I have noted that very few men older than mid twenties truly have a full head of hair.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »
Until I went Sly last July I did not take notice of the existence or degree of MPD.  Since then I have noted that very few men older than mid twenties truly have a full head of hair.

Interesting .... I'll make some observations here.

My mum told me once that when my dad was going bald due to MPB he tried to stop it by eating plates of some special food which she said looked like 'snot'. Didn't work for him. I'm sorry that he didn't take a chance and shave his head while he was alive -- I reckon he would have loved the freedom. I am happy to say that I have never had to eat a plate of snot anyway.

Like Andrei says 'the razor is the cure for baldness'.

benlen

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
This and stuff like it have been around for years attempting to attribute baldness to anything but genetics––I think the rationale behind it is preying on the false hopes of men who are balding because of genes.

I think a lot of it has to do with, and I can speak from personal experience, that balding men want to blame their baldness not on what is most likely the case––their genes. We feel like we are inherently inferior for losing our hair, that our self-worth is threatened, since we have male pattern baldness. So we want to find any blame in external factors, from wearing hats to chemicals or any other kind of excuse.