Author Topic: 1 Year of Freedom from hairpiece but considering going back...advice please  (Read 3170 times)

Offline DaCentaur

• Learning the way of Sly
Well I finally decided to peel off the rug and love the freedom.  Wore a rug for 17 years now and decided to try sly but with a twist.  I was headed out on another deployment and this time I went to Good Look Ink and had micro pigmentation done and it looks great.  Unfortunately there were two areas in the back that have scar tissue due to years of abuse with the glue that didnt accept the pigmentation well.  Also I was hoping for more of a lower bold hairline look but they only recommend going natural and that is what I have.  Probably my natural hairline.  I still have quite a bit of hair everywhere which helps to a degree with the camoflage and texture but it makes me shave really close usually everyday.  Unfortunately my vanity is creeping back in especially when I see pictures of myself now.  Most angles make me look slick bald instead of the buzzed or shaved look and of course now I usually do not get mistaken for being in my 30s when i am actually 47.  I know this is my reality and I want to accept the fact I am really bald but I do enjoy being easy on the eyes.  My wife swears it doesnt matter either way to her, she justs wants me to be happy and comfortable.  I have definetly let it affect my confidence.  I had such a hair fetish and still do.  I had long hair for a long time and was in big hair metal bands.  So hard to let all that go.  On the other hand I am ready in 5 minutes now instead of an hour, saving lots of money without it, can do any physical activity without worrying what my hair looks like, which now allows me to get into even better shape.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
Hey there.

Without seeing photo's it's hard to say if your look looks ok. There have been a couple of threads on here regarding the micro pigmentation thing, interesting to read on here about someone who has had it done.

Im just over a year after ditching my systems, and I do think sometimes..I want the hair back. Note I said HAIR not the monthly appointments, the cost, the inconveniance!

Think about it seriously before going down that route again. Is it worth it?

Lets see some photos!

Offline DaCentaur

Thought about posting photos but I am still in the military and what I have now would be considered out of regs if they knew.  Just being cautious.  But seriously I know I can pull this look off and few think I look more like Bruce Willis.  I was really good at making a hairpiece look good.  No one ever had a clue not even my kiddos.  I probably wont go back because I couldn't stand the maintenance anymore, but on the chance I do I will do almost all of it myself to forgo the expense.  These new lightweight lace systems are pretty awesome and I would remove it weekly or more instead of going 5-6 weeks.  I just dint want to end up an old fart with the full head of hair that then everyone knows is fake.  Plus, I am sure I will not be as dexterous then either and would have a hard time putting it on.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
I think you should go with whatever makes you feel happy in the long run.

Those lace front, ultra thin silicon systems, might look great, but I bet they are expensive and hard to maintain.

Offline DaCentaur

I can get one for 395 and it just depends on how much you wear it and how rough you are on it.  Of course I am a pro now.  But after reading alot on this site and spending a good chunk on my "tattoo" I really think I will go home and shave the 2 week growth I have going to prep for a "system" and suck it up.  It is who I am.  Actually I think I am more approachable now because strangers are talking to me more these days and people seem to relate to me differently now as well.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
I'm sure being bald looks fine on you!

You should rock the look and try it for a while and see how you feel?
Lynchy

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
One thing I've learned: Never let any mental obsession or fetish rule your actions and life.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
IF you are happier and feel more comfortable with the hairpiece... then go for it.  However... this is the SLY BALD GUYS forum.  It is a forum that embraces the sly life. 

For me... the sly life gets better each and every day.  I cannot imagine myself with hair.  I love my super, smoooooooooth dome.   I am SLY FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!! O0 8) O:O

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Isn't a hairpiece out of regs for the military, too?   ???  How do you possibly deal with a hairpiece when you're deployed somewhere?   ???

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
In the Army (I presume this applies to all Armed Forces) hairpieces are not allowed unless to cover natural baldness or physical disfiguration. When worn, the hairpiece must essentially conform to the standards of a normal haircut meaning that the hairpiece cannot interfere with the wearing of headgear](especially a kevlar, also a gas mask). I know a couple of guys that I was deployed with a couple of years ago that had hairpieces, but decided to ditch them for deployment. One just walked around with a close MPB buzzcut the other just shaved it all off.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:48:37 AM by SlySirHarry12 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: 1 Year of Freedom from hairpiece but considering going back...advice please
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »
In the Army (I presume this applies to all Armed Forces) hairpieces are not allowed unless to cover natural baldness or physical disfiguration. When worn, the hairpiece must essentially conform to the standards of a normal haircut meaning that the hairpiece cannot interfere with the wearing of hairpieces (especially a kevlar, also a gas mask). I know a couple of guys that I was deployed with a couple of years ago that had hairpieces, but decided to ditch them for deployment. One just walked around with a close MPB buzzcut the other just shaved it all off.
agree ! 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL