Author Topic: Beanie that doesn't leave fuzz?  (Read 7429 times)

Offline ktb

• Sly Guy in Training
Beanie that doesn't leave fuzz?
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:06:28 AM »
Hey guys, I've been BBC for 3 months now and now that we're getting into cold weather my head is freezing.  The problem is that I shave at night and in the morning the combination of the cotton beanie I have and stubble means that I get fuzz stuck all over my head.  Any other options so I can stop looking like a black cotton swab?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Beanie that doesn't leave fuzz?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:11:05 AM »
Get yourself one that is cotton and lycra blend, not wool.  Underarmor makes an excellent one that won't stretch out of shape and won't leave fuzz on your velcro head.  ;D

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline ktb

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Re: Beanie that doesn't leave fuzz?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
Cool, I'll look into that, thanks.

benlen

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
Wool generally isn't recommended, but it depends on the wool.

If you want a wool hat that won't leave fuzz, you should look for a "merino wool" hat––extremely comfortable, not scratchy like typical wool, and won't leave fuzz (at least not for me so far!). I just got a merino wool hat from Eddie Bauer, Made in Canada, AND on sale for 15 dollars (typically 30+ bucks for this hat) so I consider my Christmas wishes fulfilled!

BBCAlex

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »
The problem is that I shave at night and in the morning the combination of the cotton beanie I have and stubble means that I get fuzz stuck all over my head.

Couldnt you start shaving in the morning? This way you would be slick when you put on the hat and could avoid the velcro issue.

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
I find some problems too with fuzz even though I shave in the morning but its not that bad only a little bit of fuzz

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »
What about Polartec? I have several, some of which are wool lined with Polartec. I have no problems with fuzz whatsoever. Columbia makes really nice ones.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »
I have one from Eddie Bauer. It's warm and it cuts the wind.

The outer is poly/wool/nylon, but the inside is a polartec/polar fleece type material that doesn't seem to shed or leave any fuzz.

(Funny thing - I just noticed this morning that  a coworker who also shaves his head had the same one sitting on his desk)

link: http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=38485&catPath=&viewAll=n&pg=1&cmPathInfo=T347
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:42:28 AM by skram »

Offline eric79

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
If your in the states hit up a surplus store for the micro fleece hats the army wears they are great and soft on your head. I have to have them and love using them.

Eric

Offline Cysly

• Sly Jr.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »
I have that issue at night since I shave in the morning. Some beanies are better than others - polarfleece seems to work better though I have several types. This is my first winter of BBC too.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
Personally hate things on my dome.  But being older  ;D figured with all the flu going from state to state, good to have a cover on !  Hat, cap, Trojan ! Only if it is raining and you don't have a umberlla  !  ;) 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »
I have a Polartec one by L.L. Bean that is great.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »
I have that problem alot, I dont like anything on me dome, so now i choose to keep my gloosy/shadowy head out in the open
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
Polarfleece is great. I did get a Headblade beanie recently- not for extreme cold but lighter for cooler weather and great logo .