Author Topic: The thing that bothers me...opinions  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Gone

• Learning the way of Sly
The thing that bothers me...opinions
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »
New here, great site.  So I am 31 and losing my hair, have been for the past 10 years or so.  I have shaved it down to a 1 and also a 0 on the clippers and it looks not half bad.

The only thing I really dislike about my situation is that I have this hairloss island in the front that does not look good.  I think it may look better if there was really no hair there at all, but you can see the shadow of it and I hate it.  I think it would look better if I was just completely bald up there (which will probably happen over time).

I don't think I want to take it down to the grain yet.  I mean with a razor, but my question to you guys is for those that are dealing or dealth with hairloss, do you know what I am talking about in regards to this "island" in the front and do you find it helps it look a lot better when you take it straight down with a razor?

thanks

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
Re: The thing that bothers me...opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:11:55 PM »
Taking it all the way down is the obvious solution here.  If you have your hair trimmed that short, I can't imagine it looks too bad.  It's when guys try to have any length to their hair when it's thinning that makes a bad look.  Post a pic if you're not sure.  We have lots of opinions here.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »
I know what you mean about the island.  I don't have it, but two of my Sly friends do.  I didn't even know that they had it until I saw each of them with some two day old stubble.  I would try shaving it down with a razor to see if it helps you eliminate the shadow.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:09:54 PM »
Get rid of the "island" Bro, shave it completely ...its the only way you will feel better and stop putting yourself through the unneccesary frustration.  :o

I have the MPB demon and although I hate the "shadow" of the cursed horseshoe, I feel 1000000000X better with the "SLY" look than trying to hide it under something...

Welcome to the site, if you have questions about shaving, products, or anything, you have found the right place...Tyler hooked the site up and there are really great people here, and some really  :px :px ones too!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
I know exactly what you're talking about. What you called an Island, I called a "patch of bad grass" (not smokeable grass). In college, a roommate's dorky friend called me the "missing link". That was the name of a pro wrestler from the WWF in the 80's that had bushy hair, but shaved a portion of it so he had "the Island" of hair in front.

My opinion? Shave it off. Coming from a former Island Mon, it's liberating to know that crap is not there anymore.

Cheers!
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 02:32:27 PM »
To be quite honest I think it looks quite cool on certain people e.g. Jack Nicholson. But most it doesnt.
  I would hazard a guess at SHAVE IT

Offline froze

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 02:40:21 PM »
Shave it!
Would be alot easier and better if it was shaved!!!

Come to the Sly!

jusbnme

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »
I know exactly what you mean.  I don't have a full out "island" just yet but I do have the beginnings of one.  That is what made me want to start going totally sly.  I would shave it man.  It does help a lot.  If you are fair skinned you can still see a little of the hair line but not enough that people will take notice.  The best thing to do is to shave it all the way and get a little sun.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »

I don't think I want to take it down to the grain yet.  I mean with a razor, but my question to you guys is for those that are dealing or dealth with hairloss, do you know what I am talking about in regards to this "island" in the front and do you find it helps it look a lot better when you take it straight down with a razor?

thanks

Yes and yes. 

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 11:23:44 PM »
Another "Islander" here.... I had been gradually buzzing my hair down also which just made the island even more noticeable. Went SLY on Wednesday of this week and I've gotten so many positive comments so far, it's remarkable.  My brother even made the comment "hey, your island patch is gone... cool."

Give SLY a try I don't think you'll miss deserting the island.

Offline Gone

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 11:45:54 AM »
Yes!  You are right, it is more noticeable the more you buzz it down because there is no hair around it and it stands out more.  I need to get back in the gym and bulk up a little again and then take it straight down.  I have shaved it to a 0 with the clippers - how many days growth do you think it is from a razor shave to a clippers 0 shave?  2-3 days on avg?

thanks everyone for the comments.  I am glad some of you know exactly what I am talking about and can relate.  It is reasurring.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »
Yes!  You are right, it is more noticeable the more you buzz it down because there is no hair around it and it stands out more.  I need to get back in the gym and bulk up a little again and then take it straight down.  I have shaved it to a 0 with the clippers - how many days growth do you think it is from a razor shave to a clippers 0 shave?  2-3 days on avg?

thanks everyone for the comments.  I am glad some of you know exactly what I am talking about and can relate.  It is reasurring.

It's about 2 or 3 days, tops to get from a razor shave to a 0 so there is very little risk involved.  You're correct that buzzing, no matter how short, doesn't really eliminate the problem, though it can make it look a little better.  Your only option is to take it all off, to the skin, with the blade.  And we're talking the entire scalp here, not just the island.  You might not be ready to hear that yet, but trust me, it's the only way.  And when (not if, because you know you're going to do it eventually  ;) ) you finally do go sly, your only regret will be that you didn't do it a lot sooner.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 11:09:37 PM »
Go for it bro, you'll be so glad you did!   O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Enter your email address: