Author Topic: A Painful Question  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
A Painful Question
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »
I've come up with a truly fine idea for a sleeve, one that comes from a zipped up area on my side. The thing is, it involves tatting my underarm. The guy who has done my work, and done it beautifully, so I trust what he says. And what he says is that, "knowing you, and your very high pain threshold, it's possible but this is the softest tissue and who knows how much it will hurt you." Okay, he doesn't know but...it's too great an idea to abandon on pain alone. Anyone have tatted arm pits and, if so, what was your experience? Thanks in advance.

Offline Scottakist

• Sly Jr.
  • Permanent Color Technician
    • Permanent Color Technicians
Re: A Painful Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
Ok...
There are tons of factors here..
What would the design be?
Full color saturation? Black and grey?
 Any negative space?

Also the armpit is a gland
And saturation may not be the best in one sitting.

Spoken from years of being a professional tattooer

If your not having fun... Your doing it wrong.

Offline Scottakist

• Sly Jr.
  • Permanent Color Technician
    • Permanent Color Technicians
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »
Also...
 The skin in the underarm is a bit softer...
So disbursement is quite possible
(Line work blowout)
So I would try to keep in mind that any
Hard line or line work should be avoided as much as possible
And the "alla prima" method may be best.
    Hope this helps some..
   If you have any questions please feel free to ask away.
 Scottakist   
If your not having fun... Your doing it wrong.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:15:16 PM »
I probably wouldn't go for it just from a healing point of view, the desired effect may not be achieved because you can't stop the rubbing, the sweating and the likely swelling of the gland as well. But hey, in saying that, if it's what you want, and your artist thinks it can be done, go for it.

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald By Choice since August 24, 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
I had both of my pits tattooed in one session ten years ago.  My artist did not want to do it, said it would be too painful, but I am pretty highly tolerant of pain and very highly hard of the head, so I said, I can have no holes in my tattoo, so we will do it.  We set up two appointments a week apart to do them in separate sessions, but the pain level was really NOT THAT BAD so we did them both in one session.  They healed fine (no blowout, hard lines and all), still look great after ten years, I still sweat a lot, and if I were gonna do it over I would go for more solid work with bold color.  The design that was done was scaled back to grey (I had wanted more solid black) because of the anticipated pain.

Those pics are at about two months healed.

Blitzed, your artist is right: who knows how much it will hurt.

BUT: if you want it, get it.  I never met anyone who died from the pain of getting tattooed. 

HA!

I've been to lots of tattoo conventions and seen lots of tatted armpits. And I never knew anyone who really thought through their tattoos who regretted anything about them.

But then some people say those of us who go to tattoo conventions are a bit hard core. 

That may be true, but we have more fun.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »
But then some people say those of us who go to tattoo conventions are a bit hard core. 

We certainly do have more fun!

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 06:07:42 AM »

We certainly do have more fun!

Ditto. I'm having some significant shoulder surgery next month and....I'm more concerned about cancelling a five hour appointment with my tattoo guy. Also, the surgery will tear out two inches of eagle feathers and another three inches of sleeve....the good thing is they'll have to be repaired, may be added to...in the pits. As it were. PJ