Author Topic: Razor burn on back of neck  (Read 7160 times)

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
Razor burn on back of neck
« on: November 11, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
Hey guys,

I have noticed on my past couple of shaves with the Headblade ATX, I am getting red bumps and a rash on the back of my neck despite rinsing with cold water after shaving and applying ClearHead.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this or treat this?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:39:27 AM by KJK1LL3R »

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Razor burn on back of neck
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
Are you making sure you are lathering well on the back of your neck?  Looks like a reaction to a dry shave.

Suggest laying off shaving that area for a couple days to let it heal, then prep it with a preshave oil to provide more lubrication for the blade.

theman

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »
Also hair grow's everyway but but loose on your neck, so pressure on your razor makes a difference.  Also the great idea's from other member's !  Keep us informed ! 

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »
Are you making sure you are lathering well on the back of your neck?  Looks like a reaction to a dry shave.

Suggest laying off shaving that area for a couple days to let it heal, then prep it with a preshave oil to provide more lubrication for the blade.

I am not an experienced enough shaver to say if I am lathering "well" or not but I only use a small amount of HeadSlick (about 3 pumps worth).   In terms of a preshave oil, I don't actually know what that is?   I use HeadShed and HeadWash before I apply HeadSlick.

theman

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

I am not an experienced enough shaver to say if I am lathering "well" or not but I only use a small amount of HeadSlick (about 3 pumps worth).   In terms of a preshave oil, I don't actually know what that is?   I use HeadShed and HeadWash before I apply HeadSlick.
;) Holy Crap bro. keep it simple. I am lost !  Sorry bro..

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »
Three pumps of HeadSlick is plenty. Just be sure you apply it below the collarline in the back so that the razor isn't hitting bare skin.

Preshave oils soften the hair and skin, making the razor glide more smoothly.  You can find pre-shave oil at WalMart, The Art of Shaving, Kiehl's and other places. Some guys have used baby oil as well.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• One smooth dude
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
You might only want to use just head shed or head wash.  All that soap may be irritating it slightly.

Also take the strokes slow, the faster I try to go, the more irritated I get.

I also have to reapply mosturizer to the back of my head every so often.  It always soaks it up quick and dries out.

Oh, and try a fresh cartridge.  Worn out blades can irritate the hell out of you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:24:28 AM by Quetzalcoatl »

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
I've had that before. Be gentle around that area. I find the Sport is a better razor for preventing things like this, seems to cut the hair smoother, maybe it's just my technique though. Also you need a good aftershave, ClearHead is the best. I have zero irritation now.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 08:10:49 PM »
Try applying baby oil to the back of your head, see if the razor glides smoother. Also don't shave the back of your head for about 3 - 4 days, you need to let it mend or you are just going to keep scraping the affected area  making it worse and slower to heal.

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
Ok so I left it nearly an entire week and shaved again today and still the same issues.   I am wondering if I need to start using a shaving cream designed for ultra sensitive skin as opposed to using headslick?   I am also wondering if the 6-blade cartridges on my ATX is causing the problem, perhaps I should revert back to triple blades?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:34:29 AM by KJK1LL3R »

Offline Anil_Sharma

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 05:15:12 AM »
Ok so I left it nearly an entire week and shaved again today and still the same issues.   I am wondering if I need to start using a shaving cream designed for ultra sensitive skin as opposed to using headslick?   I am also wondering if the 6-blade cartridges on my ATX is causing the problem, perhaps I should revert back to triple blades?
Ok so I left it nearly an entire week and shaved again today and still the same issues.   I am wondering if I need to start using a shaving cream designed for ultra sensitive skin as opposed to using headslick?   I am also wondering if the 6-blade cartridges on my ATX is causing the problem, perhaps I should revert back to triple blades?

Did you try applying baby oil? Its quite cheap, one buck a pop. I've been applying baby oil and the shave is real smooth and also don't be too obessive with the neck line it takes time to master how to shave that part. Most starters will have the same problem, heck even I had it although not as severe as you though. About the number of blades, as far as I know the more number of blades the better, if you use a triple blade you have to do twice as many passes as you would do with a 6 blade for the same smoothness increasing risk for irritation. Next time, let the shaving gel set for more than 5 minutes, it works for me.

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 05:45:49 AM »
Some of you guys mentioned that the issue could be that I am not lathering well enough, so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use a shaving brush to apply the headslick?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 07:19:42 AM »
When I get razor bumps (most of the time it's at the corners of the neckline and not so much in the center) I use Bump Patrol sold at WalMart. The bumps clear up within 48-72 hours. Bump stopper is another alternative. I see that you're from across the pond, so rubbing alcohol may be easier for you to get. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:23:12 AM by SlySirHarry12 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 07:54:51 AM »
...rubbing alcohol may be easier for you to get.

This what I do. Our office has an alcohol hand sanitiser in the gents. Now and again, I take a little home in a plastic container. And apply to the head after shaving.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Re: Razor burn on back of neck
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »
My guess is that you're applying too much pressure on the blade or making too many passes on you neck.

Do you re-lather after one pass on the neck?  You should only need a pea sized amount per lather.  I lather for the front to back shave then lather again for the back to front shave.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.