Author Topic: Fusion blade versus Fusion Power blade  (Read 78798 times)

BaldRob

Fusion blade versus Fusion Power blade
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:29:21 PM »
Last week I noticed on a thread someone was asking the difference between the Fusion and Fusion Power Blades.  I decided to do some investigating and here's what I found:

First, I went to Gillette.com to see if they had an answer.  Here's their canned FAQ answer:

All Fusion family razors and cartridges are interchangeable. However, because the FusionPower cartridge was designed specifically to work with the FusionPower handle, optimum shaving performance and results are achieved with a FusionPower handle and cartridge. The Fusion cartridges will not fit on any other Gillette razors such as MACH3 or SENSOR family of products.

Hmmmmm... ???

Second, I decided to try them for myself... I've been using the Fusion Power razor with Fusion Power blades since they came out (only on the face though).  I always notice the price of the Fusion blades is typically $1 - $2 cheaper per 4 pack than the Fusion Power blades.  I grabbed a 4 pack of the regular Fusion blades at Wal-Mart for about $12.36 (versus $13.74) and took them home to see if Gillette is telling the truth or if they are pulling our legs and profiting from a clever marketing ploy...  ???

The Test and Results...

The first thing I noticed was the regular Fusion blade was blue rather than orange... could that be the "specific design" mumbo jumbo that they were talking about? ???  I like orange, but not for an average upcharge of $1.50 per four pack...

I then jumped in the shower and used the same routine that I always do, so the standard was set... Hot shower, HeadShed, KoS Alpha Shaving Gel...

After chroming the dome with the Headblade, I grabbed my old Fusion Power razor handle with the shiny new regular Fusion blade and starting shaving the mug... Amazingly enough, the shave was just as close and smooth as if I were using a Fusion Power blade... ???

Since my first shave with the regular Fusion blade, I have mixed it up some using various cleanser, exfoliator, shaving cream/gel combinations, like I normally do, and still have not experienced a more "optimum shaving performance and results" ???

My take on Gillette Fusion Power blades is that the blades are the same as the, dare I say, ordinary Fusion blades and they market them at a higher price to deceive men that they will get a better shave using the Power blades because they are designed differently.

I plan on writing a letter to Gillette with my test results and see if I can get an answer that is a little more above board!

*while I will never buy a Fusion Power blade again, I do truly believe that the Fusion Power handle with it's buzz does give a more comfortable shave no matter the blade attached to the end.  I realized this one time when the battery died...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:22:45 PM by Tyler »

BaldRob

Re: Fusion blade versus Fusion Power blade
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:43:11 PM »
Here's the email I sent to them:

To whom it may concern:

I have been an avid Gillette customer for many years.  I belong to a forum (www.slybaldguys.com) that is about headshaving.  Many of our members use a Gillette razor for shaving their heads and/or faces.

One of our members asked the question "What's the difference between a Fusion Power cartidge and a Fusion Cartridge?".  I decided to investigate.  I went to the Fusion FAQs and found this:

"All Fusion family razors and cartridges are interchangeable. However, because the FusionPower cartridge was designed specifically to work with the FusionPower handle, optimum shaving performance and results are achieved with a FusionPower handle and cartridge. The Fusion cartridges will not fit on any other Gillette razors such as MACH3 or SENSOR family of products."

That explanation wasn't quite good enough for me so I put both blade cartridges to the test.

I set the standard by shaving the way I always do, i.e., in the shower using the same shave and cleansing products.  There was no need to test a Fusion Power cartridge because I have been using them since they came out.  I put a new Fusion cartridge on my Fusion Power handle and shaved my face (I use the Headblade for shaving my head).

During the shave, I could detect NO difference in the shave between my normal Fusion Power cartridges and my new regular Fusion cartridge.  After the shave, my face was just as smooth as if I shaved with a Fusion Power cartridge.

All that being said, what gives Gillette??  Why do Fusion Power cartridges cost, on average, $1.50 more per four pack when, in my opinion, they give the exact same shave as a regular Fusion cartridge?  What exactly is the difference that makes the Fusion Power cartridges superior to the regular Fusion cartridges?

Thanks and have a great day!

Rob Zilch
aka BaldRob

Wonder what they'll say ???

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:44:44 PM »
Take 'Em Down, BRob!  b0x3r

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
Just call me the SBG Consumer Advocate Man!  O0

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »
Just call me the SBG Consumer Advocate Man!  O0

Funny....you take out the BG from SBG and you're title would be S.C.A.M.

I knew you couldn't be trusted!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 12:55:19 PM »
Sly Bald Guys' BaldRob - on your side!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
Sly Bald Guys' BaldRob - on your side!

I think you should make me a t-shirt that says that!   O0

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »
Thanks for the info BaldRob ... You just saved me a heck of a lot of money! 
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »
Great research and review Rob.  As a Fusion user I will be interested in their response.  Who you tackling next?
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »
The real reason for the Power is that Gillette owns Duracell. ;)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »

Gee, imagine that..........  :o
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 05:40:22 PM »
Hey BaldRob, it's funny you posted this topic, I just bought some regular fusion blades the other day, and my wife asked me what the difference was between the regular and the power. I told her there is two very noticeable differences, 1) The Price $$$$$ in canada at Walmart they Cost 19.99 for the power blades and 15.99 for the regular ones. But in the power blades they are nice enough to put in a two dollar off coupon.
                   2) The colour.
Thats it those are the only difference.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Jay

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 06:21:32 PM »

and Braun so they need to amortize the batery tech over more models.

And all of the above are owned by P&G so they have the ballz to over market things at a premium.

Case in point, Tide for HE washers. Its just regular Tide but watered down with a premium attached.

They're bastards I tell ya!

BaldRob

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 07:57:22 AM »
And the response from P & G:

Dear Rob-

The differences between the Power and Manual Fusion Cartridges are subtle but there are differences.  The Power Fusion Cartridges have aloe, vitamin E and natural oils in the lubrastrip while the Manual Cartridges have just aloe and vitamin E.  There is also a slightly different coating on the blade of the Power Cartridges.  That coating was designed to work with the vibration of the razor.  I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks again for writing.

Kelly H
Fusion Team

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 08:18:20 AM »
And the response from P & G:

Dear Rob-

The differences between the Power and Manual Fusion Cartridges are subtle but there are differences.  The Power Fusion Cartridges have aloe, vitamin E and natural oils in the lubrastrip while the Manual Cartridges have just aloe and vitamin E.  There is also a slightly different coating on the blade of the Power Cartridges.  That coating was designed to work with the vibration of the razor.  I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks again for writing.

Kelly H
Fusion Team

So, how much are the natural oils cost you Fusion users?