Author Topic: What's the best electric shaver?  (Read 5338 times)

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
What's the best electric shaver?
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
I'm considering trying out the Braun 5 series. I've never had much luck with electric but I'm starting to think it'd be cheaper in the long run to use electric for face shaving and would probably reduce shaving time.

"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

theman

Re: What's the best electric shaver?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
I have a Norelco triple head that can be recharged.  It works good but your face has to become accustomed to it, or it will burn .  I have never found any electric to give the shave that a reg. blade will do.  Braun  has good products.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »
My disclaimer will normally read that I am primarily a blade shaver, specifically the personna M5 Magnum.

That being said I also have a Panasonic ES8243K Linear that I use when I have cuts to shave over or if I'm in a hurry. I have also had a Braun series 3 which did an OK job but the Panasonic is clearly superior. I must say that I don't know much about the newer Norelcos, I haven't had one of them in years. "Simply Red" is the Panny maven of the forum, he knows everything about them and has authored many posts about the Pannys. IMO they shave darn near as good as a blade provided that you prepare the surface to be shaved. For me that means wash and dry and then use something like Lectric Shave (diluted with rubbing alcohol) or AFTA. Another benefit to the Pannys is they are wet/dry meaning they can be used in the shower.

The Pannys are pricey but deals can be found online at a place called the Panasonic Premium Store. They sell what is referred to as "refurbished" units. I had a hang-up about that until someone in here explained to me that a refurbished unit is, in reality, a new one with the bugs worked out in advance.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
I have an old Norelco and a Panasonic Linear 3. I tried lectric shave many years ago when it was new, I don't recall how/if it worked for me so I might just give it another try.
-Winston Churchill

theman

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
I have an old Norelco and a Panasonic Linear 3. I tried lectric shave many years ago when it was new, I don't recall how/if it worked for me so I might just give it another try.
I used Williams but always washed it off in the summer as it was to oily.  Really watch your neck or you will see redness which is just electric shavers.  And maybe to much pressure.   ;)

Slynito

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »
I used Williams but always washed it off in the summer as it was to oily.  Really watch your neck or you will see redness which is just electric shavers.  And maybe to much pressure.   ;)

William's, feels the same way to me...oily. And I have to wash it off too. Not using it anymore.

I've used a Panasonic Wet/Dry for years and love my, Lima Alpha-63 for day to day use.  O0
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:24:11 PM by Slynito »

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
I used Williams but always washed it off in the summer as it was to oily.  Really watch your neck or you will see redness which is just electric shavers.  And maybe to much pressure.   ;)

I read somewhere in here that something in Lectric Shave is corrosive to the blades as well. A good wash is called for. The Pannys have a superfast wash setting that will butcher the skin if you use that setting to shave. But what I do is make a cup of really hot water with Dawn dish soap and submerge the head of the shaver in that and put it on the wash setting. It then runs really fast for about 20 seconds and shuts down. Then a hot water rinse and air dry the blades with the guard removed. The Dawn breaks up the oily residue and breaks loose any gunk that might otherwise build up between the blades.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Slynito

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
Buddha, has an excellent process for cleaning his Panny. I have also heard that William's Lectric Shave can have negative effects on the blades.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
Personally they all Suck, unless you can pluck the few hairs out with a twisser's !   :*))  For some odd reason I got bored today and used mine, my face feels like crap , razor burn and the razor is not that old.  Well maybe a year or two , didn't like it then and sure don't like it now !  Wait till your in a nursing home and the staff comes up and shaves your mug, while you set there and drule  :'( !  I have done it and only wished I knew what I knew now !  But being HONEST , is the only way ! 

So shave wet and enjoy  ;) while you still can , your preferance, but many good ideas on this fine board !  :)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »
Go for it, ive never tried an electric razor. Im so caught up in my headblade
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
Go for it, ive never tried an electric razor. Im so caught up in my headblade
;) Was talking about the old face.  However I do use a HB sport on my head.   I have tried electric razor   on my head also with same results !  ;D
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »
Electric doesn't work very well for me, at least none of the shavers I have do a good job.
-Winston Churchill