Author Topic: Beautyberry Jelly  (Read 3687 times)

Slynito

Beautyberry Jelly
« on: October 27, 2012, 06:45:45 AM »
Beautyberry bushes grow all over the Southern US and is known for the purple berries that many folks are afraid to eat. I was gifted a jar of jelly by a neighbor and found it better than the berries I've eaten. I'm sure the Sly Bear has seen them growing, but has he ever cooked up a batch of jelly, hummm?

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=caam2

Beautyberry Jelly

INGREDIENTS
6 cups berries, stems and leaves removed
8 cups water
juice of one lemon
4 cups raw sugar, divided
1 package low-sugar pectin

DIRECTIONS
Bring berries and water to a boil in a large pot and cook covered for
20 minutes.
Mash with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon and cook an
additional 20 minutes.
Strain through a very fine sieve—the seeds are extremely tiny—or use a
jelly bag.
Boil liquid to reduce infusion to 4 cups. Mix in lemon juice, stir
well and return to boil.
Mix 1/2 cup sugar with pectin. Slowly whisk into liquid and return to boil.
Add sugar all at once and boil hard for one minute.
Remove from heat. Pour into prepared jars.
Process in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Beautyberry Jelly
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
In case anyone's wondering what a beautyberry looks like:

I have two bushes growing in my yard. I'm not sure if they'll produce enough berries to try this out, but if they do, I'm sure to try it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:04:08 PM by TheSlyBear »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
I just saw some of these bushes at the farmers market this morning

theman

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:46:15 PM »
Would you gents, tell me what Berry that are simular to what we have in the Dakota's , if we have any .

Thanks

Slynito

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
Never been to your part of the country, but I would guess there are many kinds of berries that can be made into jelly. The Beautyberry grows as far nawth as KY and VA. Go check out the farmers markets after your snow melts and the ground thaws...maybe next July.

:*)) :*))

theman

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
Never been to your part of the country, but I would guess there are many kinds of berries that can be made into jelly. The Beautyberry grows as far nawth as KY and VA. Go check out the farmers markets after your snow melts and the ground thaws...maybe next July.

;)  We have chokecherry's out this way.  My mom used to can them and make Jelly, and Jam , it sure is good.  Ya, ever make it out this way bro. , love to show ya around.  ;)  Start in the Badlands, then go to the Black Hills all in one day .   ;)  Two different worlds.  Thanks for the info.

Slynito

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
I'll bet y'all have raspberry and huckleberry up there. I have a friend who worked in Fargo ( I know that's ND and y'all call them yankees) and he said it was so cold people ice skated to work on the frozen river in the city. He would go to MN for R 'n' R. If I get up your way I'll be sure to look you up. But I may be to much of a he!! raiser for you.

theman

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »
I'll bet y'all have raspberry and huckleberry up there. I have a friend who worked in Fargo ( I know that's ND and y'all call them yankees) and he said it was so cold people ice skated to work on the frozen river in the city. He would go to MN for R 'n' R. If I get up your way I'll be sure to look you up. But I may be to much of a he!! raiser for you.

;D ;D Yeah Sure Ya Bet Ya !  And yes we also have those thar Berry's to  ;) ;D Native American Brothers know all about the berry's around what ever part of country you live in. The older one's can tell you.  Love Blue Berrys !!  UUUUMMMMM!!!  Good and the Flap Jacks , now we are talken ! ;) ;D  Bring snowshows  (hopefully)  LOL  One thing the old sauna's in Minn. are the greatest , then ya go down to the river and take  a swim.   ;)  That there was in my younger days.  ;D