Author Topic: Close clippers  (Read 16514 times)

Offline JohnnyC

• Learning the way of Sly
Close clippers
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »
Hello,
When using the wahl balding clippers by yourself, how do your prevent cutting yourself?  The zero-overlap makes me a bit nervous.
thank you.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Close clippers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »
You shouldn't have any problem using clippers on your head.  Just be careful around the ears.  I used to use Andis clippers without a guard and never cut myself.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 03:32:18 AM »
Yeah just watch the ears like Tyler said,when i was buzzing mine,i had more than one accident with my Wahl's
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 06:48:36 AM »
I haven't gone completely SLY yet, but I use an barber quality Andis Outliner trimmer (no guard) or a pair of Oster 76 clippers with a #000 blade.

It helps to pull your scalp taught with your free hand (does that make sense?)...that way you lower the risk of having any loose skin (especially around the ear) getting nipped or pinched. And you get a tighter clip/shave.

Your technique will improve with practice. Go for it.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 08:04:56 AM »
When I was clippershaving my head, I used a pair of Andis Headliner. I bought it at Walmart. They are designed to prevent in-grown hair. The headliner is similiar to an edger. It cut my hair super close -- similar to a 00000 on a classic Oster 76.

I like the clipper shaved look. You can sport a bald look but still have a bit of hair. I thought clipper shaving was messy and required more clean up off the sink and floor. Since i was buzzing my hair so short, I got curious abour razor shaving. So I opted for shaving it clean with a headblade. Been hooked on the sly look ever since.  It's a different look, but it's the feel of smoothness that got me hooked.

Keep it sly!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 08:16:24 AM »

I thought clipper shaving was messy and required more clean up off the sink and floor. Since i was buzzing my hair so short, I got curious abour razor shaving.

Same here.  I briefly tried clippershaving with the Wahl Balding Clippers because I was going through a lazy phase and thought it would be lower maintenance.  It turned out to be a lot more work with all the clean up involved, and it is difficult to keep a consistent look with hair shorn so short.

If you want to sport a bit of stubble, I think it would be much easier to just shave everything off with a razor 2 or 3 times a week.  If you do it in the evenings as soon as you get home from work, you'll have some stubble again by morning.  This also has the added benefit of giving you a taste of what it is like to be completely bald.  You may be surprised to find how much you like it.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
Thanks, Razor X and Razorhead. OK, I'm in.

I'll try this tonight (been working in the garden all day) with the Mach 3 on the sides and back. Good point about the stubble being back in 2-3 days. Already have it skin tight sides and back, just not slick. Short, rounded crew cut on top (1/4 inch).

And since it's a long weekend, it's a good time for a test run. :-\
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 05:39:30 PM by wannatrysly »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 07:25:21 PM »
Thanks, Razor X and Razorhead. OK, I'm in.

I'll try this tonight (been working in the garden all day) with the Mach 3 on the sides and back. Good point about the stubble being back in 2-3 days. Already have it skin tight sides and back, just not slick. Short, rounded crew cut on top (1/4 inch).

And since it's a long weekend, it's a good time for a test run. :-\

Excellent!  Let us know how you make out.

Offline JohnnyC

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 03:45:25 PM »
Thanks to all who answered my original post.  Unfortunately, it was for naught.  No need for clippers anymore.
I went SLY instead today.   :)

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 03:50:36 PM »
Cool, congrats on going Sly, and welcome to the sit JohnnyC, glad you joined. Posts some pics soon.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »
Thanks to all who answered my original post.  Unfortunately, it was for naught.  No need for clippers anymore.

Excellent!   O0 O0

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 08:51:33 PM »

Congrats, I'm sure you won't regret it.  Looking forward to seeing your pics. O0
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »

Awesome bro!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

KALBO

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 06:38:13 AM »
Welcome to the world of the SLY, JohnnyC! 8)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »

Oh hell yeah, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Enter your email address: