Author Topic: Butterfly vs 3pc Razors  (Read 12444 times)

Offline Bald Weasel

• Sly
Butterfly vs 3pc Razors
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »
In conversation with Ole Bluebriz during the HB PIF he asked if I had thought about DE shaving.
After a few emails and a visit or two to a shaving website (Badger&Blade I think) I now have my
hackles up about giving it a shot.
One thing that I have noticed there is a lot of talk about is the Butterfly vs 3pc users.
From what I can see, it seems the only difference would be in the ease of cleaning the 3pc ones.
Is there a difference or differences that I am not seeing?
I'm leaning towards the EJ de89lbl, but open to all opinions
Keith

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Butterfly vs 3pc Razors
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
I have one of each, a Merkur 3 piece and a Parker butterfly.  Aside from the cleaning aspects, there is another difference between them: the Merkur bends the blade to a gentle curve whereas the Parker holds the blade flat.  Because of that difference, I have to hold them at different angles to get the same shave. 

Personally, I prefer the Merkur.  It's better made and holds the blade more securely.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
In conversation with Ole Bluebri
I'm leaning towards the EJ de89lbl, but open to all opinions
Keith

Keith.... that is an excellent DE razor.  You cannot go wrong with an EJ89L.  That was my very 1st modern day DE razor.  It is a great razor with a great price.  It will last you a lifetime.  Mikekoz, Bluebriz, and BillonBass also have the EJ razor. 

I also have to agree with Npsbg that Merkurs are excellent razors.  You might want to try the Merkur 34C.  I believe BBCMark has one.  It is a nice hefty razor. 

I am also a member of Badgerandblade.  It is an excellent site that is dedicated to the traditional way of shaving.  They have many quality members like SBGs and they are very helpful.  I have learned a lot from badgerandblade.

Keep us posted to your DE journey.  PM me or ask any questions and post up and we will be more than happy to help you out.  There is nothing and I mean nothing better and closer than a safety razor shave. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
Here is a you tube video on the Edwin Jagger 89.  However... get the 89L version.  The "L" stands for lined chrome.  The "lined" chrome looks better and it provides a better grip. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Slynito

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:02:36 AM »
I would also recommend a Merkur 34C HD as a fine shaving tool to start out with. Not aggressive, easy to pack, it's 3 piece and easy in the hand. Good luck!

http://www.royalshave.com/p/401-008-00/merkur-34c-classic-safety-razor.html

O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
I loove the EJ89L. Great razor and a great beginners razor. Cost effective too!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Bald Weasel

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »
Thanks for all the insight.
I've gotten much more interested in the aspects of shaving now that I am shaving more (literally lol).
A few of Dad's old DE razors were floating around. I thought I could find them but to no avail.
Thinking back...waaaaaaayyy back....I remember standing on the side of the sink while he lathered his face up.
He would then lather mine and I would "shave" with a popsicle stick or a spoon or whatever was to be my "razor" that night. lol.
When done, he'd put whatever aftershave he used on then pat his nearly dry hands on my face so I smelled a bit like it too.
We didn't do a whole lot together, but it is funny how those memories came back so vividly.
Yes, I believe I do need to learn how this is done. If for nothing else the great memories.
Keith

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
I always thought that the Butterfly or TTO razors were easier to use as far as changing blades..IMO.

Offline Bald Weasel

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »
What does TTO stand for, Tom?
Taking a wild guess here.
"Traditional Top Opening"?
Keith

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
I believe it stands for "Twist To Open" Keith.

Offline Bald Weasel

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »
LoL!
That makes sense....duh! ::)
Mine does have a more romantic tone to it though.
Kinda like Ricardo Montalban emoting about "Rich, Luxurious Corinthian Leather" back in the 80's Chrysler commercials.

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 02:10:12 PM »
........... 3 piece and a Parker butterfly......................... Merkur bends the blade to a gentle curve whereas the Parker holds the blade flat................... 

I have a Parker 99R;  it bends the blade to what appears by my eye to be the same amount as my Merkur 33C

Slynito

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 08:30:30 AM »
Y'all got to check out my newest gift...a 1956 Gillette Travel Tech 3 piece. They came with several different pouches and boxes for packing away in your luggage...these were made from 1955 to 1973. (I think) I was pleasantly surprised at the comfortable and close shave I got from it. It's cuter than a bugs ear, but it don't come close to a Merkur.

photo hosting sites

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »
Y'all got to check out my newest gift...a 1956 Gillette Travel Tech 3 piece. They came with several different pouches and boxes for packing away in your luggage...these were made from 1955 to 1973. (I think) I was pleasantly surprised at the comfortable and close shave I got from it. It's cuter than a bugs ear, but it don't come close to a Merkur.

photo hosting sites

Very nice. It looks a little on the short side.?

Slynito

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »
Right! The handle is just a little longer than a blade...

Enter your email address: