Author Topic: Vibram Five Finger Shoes  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Bald Weasel

• Sly
Vibram Five Finger Shoes
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
I read another topic about these and wanted to see if the original poster or other contributors were still wearing them?
I am thinking about purchasing a pair to see if it alleviates the outer calf pain I have been having.
When I attempted to reply to the old post, I was given some warning that was written in italics and red. :x!
I always pay attention to red italicized warnings, soooo..
New POST!!
Keith

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
Re: Vibram Five Finger Shoes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »
I really want to try these!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
I have a pair of the KSOs and I love them. They take a little while to get used to but once you do they are great. I've worn them on short hikes and short runs, both without foot pain afterwards.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

theman

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
I have a pair of FILA's,  comfortable and great for the lake, boat, tippi  ;)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:18:25 PM »
I was the one who started the original post.  I've been using them at the gym on the treadmill and like them a lot.  They do take a little time to get accustomed to.  I noticed a difference in how my calves and feet felt.  There was no ache or pain, they just felt a little different. 

I usually go to the gym after work, so I switch from dress shoes to the Vibrams.  The first couple minutes, I take it slow to give my feet and calves time to adjust.  After that, they feel great.

Slynito

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:14:59 AM »
I was browsing around a local outfitters and a young woman asked if she could assist me. I told her yes and asked her, "Do y'all have any of those ugly water shoes with the toes sticking out"? She replied, "Do you mean like the ones I'm wearing"? We had a good laugh over it...she sold me some Tevas.

:*))

theman

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »
I was browsing around a local outfitters and a young woman asked if she could assist me. I told her yes and asked her, "Do y'all have any of those ugly water shoes with the toes sticking out"? She replied, "Do you mean like the ones I'm wearing"? We had a good laugh over it...she sold me some Tevas.

:*))
;D O0 :*))

Offline Bald Weasel

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »
I've begun jogging after about a years hiatus and am experiencing some outer calf pain in both legs.
Only after around an 1/8 of a mile they burn like hot coals under my skin. As well as that part of my calf getting and remaining rock hard. I was doing 3mi a day and I know I'll need to work back up to that, but I am being forced to stop way before I am even sweaty or winded due to the pain. I was referred to these by a online friend that also jogs.
Upon seeing the subject here, I thought might as well get ya'lls opinion on this too.
Keith
and Slynito, that sounds like a gaff I would make. LoL! :*))

Offline roadrunner570

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Tim's Page
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »
I have KSOs and I love them, I wear them everywhere.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
What are KSOs?

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »
They are a particular Vibram model, it stands for 'keep stuff out', because their original shoe has an open top and therefore would let sand and dirt in

Offline Bald Weasel

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »
DANG YOU SLYFIVE!!!!!!
I was just Google'in that for an answer.
I feel like the guy wearing the black hat after the shoot out at the end of a Western movie. :XX
Keith

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »
The quickest post in the west *blows across the barrel of my revolver*

Offline mark

• Sly Jr.
    • Personal Trainer
Re: Re: Vibram Five Finger Shoes
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:49 AM »
Your calves burn like hot coals because they are tight and probably out of condition. Also, your running technique can be a bit off.

The 5 finger shoes are OK, but in my professional opinion and personal experience and from the experience of clients, they aren't your best choice for exercise. Those barefoot shoes are advertised to strengthen your feet and ankles because we were never meant to wear shoes. Well this logic is fine and dandy if you didn't wear shoes from birth.

Most people shouldn't do anything high impact like running in barefoot shoes. You can end up worse off than when you started. It sounds like the original poster needs to work on flexibility as well as going to a reputable shoe store to be fitted for the proper shoe, not the coolest looking shoe. Buy what fits your feet best for your foot shape. A good store will check your gait and wear pattern on your current shoes.

I own a pair of 5 fingers and wear them while doing yoga, that's it.

Not everyone will have issue with barefoot shoes, but i would say 95% of people buying them do not ease into their use or proper technique. You cant run or walk  in barefoot shoes the same way you normally walk in a regular type of shoe.

If you want to ask anything more specific just email me.

Anyone who may be unsure of my credentials can see them here.

Www.coachcampana.com

It doesn't cost anything to ask questions, so don't hesitate. Be safe.
Www.coachcampana.com

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »
It's very important to adjust to the Five Fingers before exercising in them.   For about two weeks before using them for exercise, I wore them inside the house.  By walking around in them, my feet got accustomed to them.  Also, I only use them on a treadmill which has a little more "give" than a hard surface like pavement. 

The logic behind the Five Fingers is that thick soles and designs where the heal is higher than the toes alter your natural stride and as a result cause more stress than people seem to realize.  This is the same principle that was behind "earth shoes" back in the 1970's.   also, since the sole of the Vibrams are thin and flexible, your foot moves differently than in a conventional shoe where you exert some energy simply to bend the sole.

All that being said, I like using them for exercise.