Author Topic: Baking bread  (Read 8426 times)

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
Re: Baking bread
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 04:04:20 AM »
I would be happy to share the recipe Mr. Bear!

4 teaspoons active dried yeast (i used 5 this time, it works better in the cold weather)
1/2 cup tepid water
3 1/2 cups high grade flour
1/2 cup milk
5 1/2 tablespoons of raw sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons melted butter (salted is fine)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
just under 1 cup of soft room temperature butter
1 1/2 cups of high quality dark chocolate broken into bits (you could use chips)

1 egg and a dash of milk for the egg wash
icing (powdered) sugar for dusting

- dissolve the yeast in the water and leave until it starts to become active (5 to 10 mins)
- sift in the flour and salt, add the sugar, milk, and cooled melted butter (i combine this with the milk to cool and aid distribution)
- mix until well combined and a firm workable dough, if too wet add flour gradually to bind (don't over add as it tends to look wetter than it is due to the butter, and we will be using flour to roll), add milk if too dry.
- knead lightly (this is just to fully combine, do not over work)
- form into a ball, cover the bowl with cling wrap, and prove in a warm place out of the sun for at least 1 hour, 2 is better.
- turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll until about 1/8" thick (as thin as you can get it without it tearing when you lift), this will make a massive rectangle, about 18" by 15"
- cover with a warm damp towel and leave to prove for 40 mins
- cut thin slices of the softened butter and place along one of the short edges, roll that strip over to cover the butter and repeat until you've used half the butter, and the rectangle has been folded over/rolled all the way
- fold the resulting butter filled strip in half, and roll out into a large rectangle which will now be about 20" by 15" due to both the butter and raising. (make sure the butter is well distributed throughout the rectangle but do not overwork)

- cover with a warm damp towel and leave for 40 mins
- repeat the steps in bold with the other half of the softened butter, wrap and chill in the freezer for a few mins to aid rolling and cutting (don't let it get too cold or the yeast will take longer to continue proving)
- roll out the dough into a 1/8" thick rectangle (you will need flour here to aid working and stop the parts of exposed buttery centre from sticking), and cut into rectangles about 3" by 5 1/2" (you should get around 2 dozen)
- spread a line of chocolate (as generous as you feel) along each short side, and roll the dough around it to meet in the centre, turn over, squish the sides together, and repeat with all the rectangles
- arrange the prepared croissants on non-stick baking sheets about 1 1/2" apart and leave for an hour for the final proving (they will increase in size significantly)
- slash the tops with a sharp knife, and brush a thin layer of egg and milk wash
- cook for 12-15 mins at 400F
- cool a little and dust with icing sugar (don't let them cool too much, they are heavenly warm)
- ENJOY all your hard work

I know it seems laborious, but most of it is just leaving it to prove, and it's well worth it. It also seems like an unbelievable amount of butter, but that's how you get it just right. you can omit the chocolate and roll triangles into traditional croissants too.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 04:24:19 AM »
While a bread machine can't make bread quite like that, I am getting inspired to rev the machine up!  YUM!!!!

When I've used a bread machine, I only use it on the dough cycle. Then take the dough out and shape the bread as desired.  The machines do well for mixing and kneading the dough. Never really saw one that 'baked' a nice loaf for visual appearance.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 04:25:16 AM »
Great looking l bread guys. You are making me hungry. I will have to give it a try now that the weather is cooling off. You can't beat home made bread.

Actually, summer is a better time to bake bread. The warmer temperatures really help with the rise.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
Here are some goodies I baked at the weekend, Pains aux raisins with traditional almond frangipane, but I broke tradition by soaking the raisins in a mix of frangelico and rum instead of brandy. and some non-traditional pains aux amandes with loads of almondy goodness!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
here's the others

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
here's the others
Do you ship to Texas?

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
here's the others
Do you ship to Texas?

Hahaha, I don't know if they'd be too fresh by the time they got to you! And customs would probably claim I was attempting to smuggle something or other. Looking at the quality of your bread I'm sure you could make them just as good, if not better! But hey, I'll be moving to Vancouver next year and then at least we'll be on the same landmass!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 02:32:11 AM »
Nice looking rolls.

Isn't bread dough fun to work with. Very satisfying.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:31 AM »
! But hey, I'll be moving to Vancouver next year and then at least we'll be on the same landmass!

That's a big move. I drove through the province several times back and forth to Alaska.

Nice scenery.
Coast it cost and rainy.

Stay home and bake bread.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 07:19:31 AM »
Id like to it is therapeutic but very time consuming , might get a breadmaker if i can find a space

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
@ mrZ: it sure is satisfying to work with, although croissant dough can be fairly frustrating at times! And with regard to the move, it's a huge move, but apart from the many practical reasons we are looking to move, both my partner and I have a powerful gut feeling that it's where we need to be.

@Baldchav: making bread is therapeutic, I love watching the yeast starting to become active, it's mesmerising. It takes time, but alot of it is just waiting, there's nothing like kneading the dough yourself.

theman

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 04:57:38 PM »
Some great Chef's on here also.  I have to wait before I look at this thread.  I get a smell , and mouth starts watering, just looking at the pictures.  Of the Rolls, and Buns,  When the snow is flying I will make some or a good attempt. 

Offline good to be bald

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
you guys have to stop posting all that food, are we will be sly food guys :@` :@`. i would post wife browne but all gone