Author Topic: Laser Hair Removal  (Read 6345 times)

Offline wabashtx

• Learning the way of Sly
  • comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable
    • de la Frontera
Laser Hair Removal
« on: May 24, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »
I ran into Tyler at The Playboy Club within the Palms in Vegas and he told me all about the site.  He asked me to post my experiences, thus far, with laser hair removal.

Yep, I'm getting laser hair removal on my head, face and neck (leaving the goat).

My wife and I decided that it would make a great Christmas present to each other.  She is getting her underarms, upper lip (yuck!!) and ALL the girl parts!!  Yippy!!

I am getting everything above the collar bone. :-)

I have only had two treatments so far.  We live in a relatively small community and the local dermatologists "borrows" the laser from Dallas one day per month.  I travel frequently, so coordinating the session doesn't always work.

They say that it takes 4 to 6 treatments to take effect.  So far, after two treatments, my neck face and top of my head is probably 80% gone.  The sides of my head (above my ears) still has 40% + coverage.  My folks use a round (circular) laser device so when it grows out 18+ hours, I have a funny little circular pattern on the sides of my head.

The little girl that is "lasering" me is HOT but I think she purposely misses spots so that I will keep coming back.  My dermatologist charges $500 per treatment/session for my neck, face and head.  I have heard other places will quote one price for the total "project" that will include unlimited sessions.  After my experinece, that might be worht it.  Depending on the amount required.

How does it feel?
It is alot like a tattoo.  Places that have fat coverage, it is less intense.  Places with no fat are much more intense.  It is literally firing a little lightning bolt into your skin.  You get red (like a sunbun) for about 24 hours after the treatment and you can smell the hair burning.  I don't think it is too bad, but having so much skin covered (entire head and face) can get pretty intense by the end of the session.  I certainly sweat!!

The laser device is about 1/2" diameter.  She sets it on to my skin and pulls the trigger.  She then moves over slightly and fires again.  As you can imagine, she probably fires the thing at least 300 times during a session.  The session usually only takes 15 - 20 minutes though.  All in all, not bad at all.  I would recommend it to anyone wanting to go "permanent".

I travel extensively and am always rushing to get email finished, phone calls knocked out, dressed, and meet my sales rep prior to 8am.  I always shave in the shower without mirror or cream using a mach 3.  It still takes an extra 10 minutes or so to do a good job (and I am OCD).  I figure if I can save 10 minutes shaving every morning, then I am golden.  Just more time for work.

I have a full head of hair.  None of my relatives have ever gone bald.  I hate my hair.  It is thick and nappy.  I would have to cut it every two weeks to keep it under control.  I started shaving about 4 years ago and love it!!  I will never go back, hence the laser hair removal.  My wife loves the bald head and I am happy.

Hope this helps a little if you have had curiosities about laser hair removal.  Feel free to write with any questions....

Cheers!!

If God made everything, then who made God?

BALDANDRE

Re: Laser Hair Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 03:29:54 PM »
Hey dude, thanks for the story....good for you buddy! I would LOVE not to have a shadow and be slick and smooth 24/7!

Like you said on the other thread....we all dig the bald thing...why would wanting it to be permenant be out of the question?

Maybe your story will inspire myself and others to go for the ultimate SLY...stranger things have happened!

Keep us posted and post some up close pics of your progress...it would be cool to see a noggin with only skin and absolutely no shadow O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:16:23 PM »
Hey bro, thanks for posting up your story and offering to answer questions!  I know people have asked about laser hair removal on the scalp in the past and now someone can actually give us the real nitty gritty. 

I look forward to seeing you again in Austin!  By the way, I checked out your site and you guys sell some cool stuff. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
 O0 Dear Wabashtx: your story is inspirational. I am thinking about lazer treatments, as I love baldness and won't ever go back to thinning hair. Please comment further on your embrace of the sly image. Your sly bald brother, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 12:44:42 PM »
Did they tell you if you can expect your hair to be 100% gone, or is it just going to result in a susbstantial reduction of the amount of hair you have?  I had my chest, back and abdomen done.  I had WAY too much hair on the chest and abs (think Austin Powers) and the back was just starting to get that way.   The back is clean now.  Chest and abs are not but about 80% of the hair is gone.  I'd have preferred it if it were all gone, but at least I look human now and not like the Missing Link.

Offline wabashtx

• de la Frontera
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 01:58:32 PM »
LMFAO

I've got these odd, randomly placed patches of long hair on my back.  Drives my wife CRAZY.  And not in the good, totally wild, sexual kinda way.

Besides the point....

They told me that the laser targets pigment.  So the ideal "victim" is a fair skinned person with dark hair.  Hair folicles that are lacking pigment (i.e. very blonde, grey or white hair) will not be effected.  Those hairs will always be there.  Kinda sucks.  Otherwise, any dark hairs will get fried!!

But.... they explained some mumbo-jumbo (that I don't exactly remember) about hair growing at three different rates.  Apparently some hair grows very rapidly, some grows much slower and some grows much much slower (like a lifetime).  Depending on the cycle of the individual hairs depends on whether they fry appropriately or not.  It seems that you could get the recommended 4 to 6 treatments over a 6 month period and some of those really really slow growing hairs may not have even poked their head out enough to be fried.  Go figure.

So, if all your hairs are dark and they are all in the "growing" phase, then no problem.  You will be slick.  But, chances are there will be a few slow growers that miss out on all the fun or some blonde (or grey) hairs that the laser doesn't "see". 

I am waiting 2 months between treatments so that I will have as many hairs poking out as possible and all of my hair is relatively dark.  I have 10 or 15 blonde hairs.  I assume I will "pluck" those once we are done with the laser treatments and I am finished shaving.  I assume I will still have to shave once every two or three weeks.  At least until I identify the "problem" hairs and go get them lasered as well.  A spot treatment so to speak.

This whole thing would be a lot easier if we could locate some ancient Chinese herbal treatment that makes all the hair fall out.  But then I'd have to pencil in my goat.  That would suck. :-)

Hope everyone has a happy Memorial Day weekend.  Please reMEMber what it is all about.  Support the troops!!  Even if you don't support the jokers that are commanding them up in DC.

~with bliss~

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 07:16:31 PM »

This whole thing would be a lot easier if we could locate some ancient Chinese herbal treatment that makes all the hair fall out.  But then I'd have to pencil in my goat.  That would suck. :-)

That's the problem with hair.  It's next to impossible to get it growing where you want it and next to impossible to stop it from growing where you don't.

Slickdome

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 07:46:10 PM »
After 4 years of pretty consistent Slyness (yeah, I got lazy a few times), I know I love being a slickdome.  But even after 4 years, I still get tired of shaving.  The option of permanent hair removal would be great, but there doesn't seem to any truly permanent method (aside from MPB).  If I knew it would really succeed in making me slick for life, I'd do it.   It would be a real rush to become truly BBC (Bald BEYOND Choice). 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »
After 4 years of pretty consistent Slyness (yeah, I got lazy a few times), I know I love being a slickdome.  But even after 4 years, I still get tired of shaving.  The option of permanent hair removal would be great, but there doesn't seem to any truly permanent method (aside from MPB).  If I knew it would really succeed in making me slick for life, I'd do it.   It would be a real rush to become truly BBC (Bald BEYOND Choice). 

I agree; it would be nice not to have to shave every day.  But I'm still paying for having my chest, abs and back done and the hair on my head isn't dark enough to be affected by the laser anyway, so I am stuck with shaving, I guess.

I had a day off today.  I worked out last night and showered afterwards.  I was having a lazy morning so I decided not to shower again before I took my dog to his vet appointment this morning.  Wasn't going to shave, either but about half an hour before I was supposed to leave the house, I found that I just couldn't bring myself to leave the house without shaving. 

Offline wabashtx

• de la Frontera
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm OCD about the shadow or scruff too.  Even if it isn't all that noticeable, I can feel it.  Drives me crazy.

BTW, SLICKDOME, what exactly is MPB?  Curiosity is killing me and I tend to be a little slow with the abbreviations sometimes....

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »

BTW, SLICKDOME, what exactly is MPB?  Curiosity is killing me and I tend to be a little slow with the abbreviations sometimes....

Male pattern baldness.

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 05:15:05 AM »
Yeah, I'm OCD about the shadow or scruff too.  Even if it isn't all that noticeable, I can feel it.  Drives me crazy.

Interesting thread.  Don't believe I've had the pleasure, wabashtx.  Pleased to make your acquaintance and a belated welcome to you.  I hear loud and clear the "hassle of shaving".  I've been non-sly now for a while.  I don't know exaclty how long now but my hair is approaching the 1/2 inch mark.   My scalp is always itchy, no dandruff or obvious skin problems, just itchy for no apparent reason.  Keeps me thinking about shaving it all off again but I really want to see if it's going to stay this time. 
I don't think laser would be for me though because I'm just too cheap.  Besides, if it costs you $2k, it would probably be $4k up here in Canada.
Anyway, congrats and I hope it is worth it for you.  Looks great! 
Now what does OCD stand for?  I'm kinda slow with the abbrev's too eh...   ;)
I'm Brian and so is my wife!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 05:25:50 AM »

That's the problem with hair.  It's next to impossible to get it growing where you want it and next to impossible to stop it from growing where you don't.

This is so damn true ,well put RazorX.

Wabashtx, I commend you for your decision to Laser it all off and thanks for sharing the details. I would too if I had the cash to do it.

If it is 2k in US and 4k in Canada then in Australia it is probably 10-15k. :*))

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 08:22:10 AM »
Well where I am from it would prolly only cost you about $20.  You go down to the local amish hair cuttin place and they will take a blow torch and just burn it all off

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 08:37:26 AM »
 :*)) Tim are you in Northern Indiana? I often went to Kendall Indiana growing up. We would go to a campground called Gordons about twice a year. Some of my best memories growing up were spent there.

Enter your email address: