Author Topic: Question on Head Shaving Technique  (Read 5561 times)

Offline SlyGI

• Sly Jr.
Question on Head Shaving Technique
« on: May 24, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
Hi All,

I love the site! I checked you guys out about two weeks ago when I decided to shave my head. My top was BBG (Bald by God) and the rest is now Bald by Choice.

I have a quick question for you guys. I've been using a mach 3 on my head and I seem to get a good shave. But after I shave, I do have some stubble left. Is this normal, or am I missing some hair? Is my shave not close enough?

Also, do any of you have any tips for the back of the head? I use a mirror, but man, it's hard to shave back there because everything in the mirror is backwards (of course).

Thanks!

BALDANDRE

Re: Question on Head Shaving Technique
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »
Welcome SlyGI....

Shouldn't be normal to have a lot of stubble...you will always have to do a "spot" check though...especially if you're a bald-purist....I'm only happy when it's totally scraped clean without any hint of hair, both by sight and touch....

I always use a mach3 without any complaints (for about 12 years now! O0)...

I used to use a mirror the first year or two,,,the best way is the braille method of touch...isn't that the best way to know if you've shaved off all those buggers anyways?!

Good luck buddy, glad you're diggin' your new found slyness!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 01:55:34 PM »
Welcome GI (bald by God...good one!).

You'll also find a lot of people that use the HeadBlade razor (me included). For some, it appears to takes a bit of a learning curve. To learn more about it, go to www.headblade.com. I believe this promotion is still good......f you order from their website, and enter the word "SLY" in the promotions/coupon code box, you get a 20% discount and a free beanie (whatever that is).

I'm a dedicated HB fan.

Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »
Welcome SlyGI!

As BaldAndre said, when you're done, there shouldn't be any stubble... I used a Mach III for about 6 months before I found the HeadBlade.  While I could get it smooth with the Mach III, it doesn't compare to the closeness I get using the headblade.  Obviously, everyone's skin is different and they will tell you what works best for them.  The only way you can get your routine down is to try different things until you're happy!

Definitely browse through other topics to pick up more tips and tricks for getting the closest head shave you can!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 02:42:45 PM »
Welcome SlyGI glad to have ya with us.   To echo the others, for closeness you just can't seem to beat the Headblade.  If you can feel anything, you missed some.  As for the back of your noggin, I have found it helps to look down when shaving the back.  Helps me to get it real close, but like the others I go by touch. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline mikesj

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 02:52:50 PM »
Welcome SlyGI....I started also with a Mach 3, then tried the HeadBlade which seems to give a much closer shave. I would recommend you give it a try. I have pretty much given up on the mirror and go by feel. I use a layer of oil then use the HeadBlade brand shave lotion HeadSlick. A pass from front to back, then back to front and bend my head forward for the back. I think I get it as close as it is going to be. Be sure to browse the posts here, lots of good ideas....if one doesn't work for you, I'm sure you will find one that does.  Keep us posted.

KALBO

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 03:38:19 PM »
Welcome to the world of the SLY, SlyGI! 8)

HeadBlade fan here as well...went from struggling in front of the sink, using another mirror to look at the back...to with practice shaving in the shower going totally by routine and feel!  Whatever your technique is...with practice, you'll get it down with no stubble! O0

P.S. Are you shaving against the grain?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 04:19:46 PM »
SlyGI, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!!

My first question would be, "do you shave against the grain?"  If not, then you should try that to get a closer shave.  If that doesn't work, you may want to try switching up your shaving cream/gel and/or razor.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 05:00:05 PM »
Here you go. Headblade + sensor excel blades + Headslick + shower + against the grain = SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH. That is all.

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 05:48:58 PM »
SlyGI...welcome to the site brother.

I also use the Mach III and have experimented with different gels/creams, you'll find a good one, also I shave with the grain, then re-apply shaving cream and shave against.
I would definitely take a shot with the Headblade as well, I am going to take another shot, but most of the sly fellas on the site highly recommend it. Putting my slick dome under the cold showerhead afterwards feels great...

Offline SlyGI

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 08:17:30 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the help. There sure is allot of Headblade people out there. I think I'll give it a try.

Going against the grain is something I haven't tried yet. I can tell already that I'm going to want my dome smoother than silk.

I think I'll try Cam's routine.
Here you go. Headblade + sensor excel blades + Headslick + shower + against the grain = SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH. That is all.
going both with and against the grain.

I've been using the regular old "Barbasol" (I don't think I'm spelling that right) or "Colgate" shaving cream for my dome. I think I'll have to move up to something of higher quality.

This is a great site!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 08:24:18 PM »
Welcome to the site SlyGI. I use a Mach3 with King of Shave Oil combined with Headslick. I find it easier to use on the back of my head. Shave with the grain to keep it smooth, but keep in mind hair grows in different directions on your head. On my crown and top half of the back of my head I actually shave left to right. My hair seems to grow in that direction. I also find it easier and quicker then going from the neck straight up the back vertically.

I started out using a mirror, but now I can shave by 'feel' and no mirror.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
some areas are harder to get than others and take more attention more going over.   as far as the back of the head, I just do it by feel.   I can tell when I'm going to get a cut or nick because it happens when you can feel a ripping sensation.
bald for life

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 12:30:17 AM »
Welcome to the Forum
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 01:14:38 AM »
Headblade + Sensor 3 blades + Head slick + shower + with then against the grain+ Cold water rinse is what I do... Every other day i expholate(sp?) with St. Ives Apricot scrub... leaves me with a grape that is as smooth & soft as a baby's butt

I also just got a bottle of Head Lube matte... I don't know if I'm using to much or what... but it seams to leave my head a tad oily where Nivea for men aftershave balm does not