Author Topic: Too Picky About Part-Time Jobs?  (Read 4663 times)

Offline sayhellototragedy

• Learning the way of Sly
Too Picky About Part-Time Jobs?
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:42:01 PM »
Hey guys! Since I figured this forum helped me with my balding issue. I figured you wise people could help me with my job situation.

So I just started working this year at the age of 19 (now I just turned 20). I had been committed to volunteer work for the past 3 years of my life, so I technically had worked before, just never got paid for it. I understand the importance of discipline, time management, and team work. During my volunteering days, I worked festivals with large amounts of people. I worked traffic, concession, donation drives, ext.

I guess I should start where this all began.

(This is quite a long read, if you want to just skip to the real issue read the last 3 paragraphs)

I started looking for a job at the end of January, I heard Sears was hiring, so I decided to put in app there. I ended up getting the job. I worked there for awhile and I was getting honestly the best hours I've gotten at a job (averaging 17~25 just folding clothes). However while I was just a merchandiser, the job was hellacious. I was made fun of by flamboyant manager, along the line of harassment. He constantly called me weak or stupid (which I'm neither). The people working there hated their job, and were overly vocal about it from managers to co-workers. I think the final straw for me was working Easter, there was literally no point in Sears being open on Easter. No one came in, and the rest of the mall was closed. I ended up being the only employee besides two mangers and one cashier working there that day, store manger, ext all took off that day. So I said screw it and quit the next day. I didn't like the fact that they made me work a christian holiday (which I am), which in hand took me away from my entire family.

Then along came Macy's. Which there's not even enough to talk about with that job. They lied to me from the start. Told me I was going to average around 30 hours a week WITH flexible time off, basically they said I would make my own schedule. Which was a damn lie. After 5 weeks working there (which in that time I only worked 4 days) I quit and then went to my next job.

Target had called me while I was just starting work at Macy's, I told them I would get back to them on the job offer within the next few days. When I found out Macy's wasn't going to work me I basically said, well I just have another job and not quit Macy's. When Target finally got around to hiring me, they promised me at least 20 hours a week being a cashier. Which was another damn lie. Target became a 4 month ordeal (almost five) because I was too afraid to quit. I was putting in job apps left and right and not getting any responses. Then College rolled back around and I changed my schedule, they didn't like the fact that I changed my schedule so they just stopped working me. Target was much like Sears to me, I got harassed by one specific manager, who told me I didn't believe in the company because I didn't want a Red Card, therefore I couldn't sell it and that I could never transfer to another department because he wouldn't let me, which he didn't handle transfers anyways so he was full of it. Anyways long story short I quit Target, I handled quitting there poorly, but I was going through a breakup. So I was just in bad shape.

Finally, I am where I am now. Courtesy clerk at Albertsons, and I just got this job (September 7th) and I'm already not working any hours. I needed a job point blank, but this isn't the job I really need. I keep getting scheduled for these 4~5 hour shifts on Fri, Sat, Sun. Which is about 15 hours a week at $7.25. Which means each paycheck I probably make about $170. My first paycheck being this week, which is only going to be about $60. Thing is this just isn't going to cut it for me, things are starting to get really bad in my household regarding money and I'm not coming close to paying my share. I haven't talked to them about getting more hours, because they hired a hell of a lot of courtesy clerks at the store (They hired 5 others along with me), and I haven't talked to them about transferring to another position because they just did a huge hiring at the store I'm at, which means all positions are full. Worst thing about all this is, I see this going down a lot like Target and Sears. Management is crappy and lazy. Like on the third day, I was insulted by my store manager, who was working a cash register, she said, "I need some more bags." I went to go get her some bags, there weren't any in the storage closet. I was literally gone for 1 minute. I came back and said, "There aren't any in there, we store the extra boxes in your office right?" and she said, "It took you that long to figure that out?" Then she chunked her office keys at me, all in front of a customer. That for some reason got under my skin. Then the next two days, I dealt with more insults from her. I want to add the fact that she was suppose to call me to tell me my next work day, after I worked two days I wasn't suppose to, and never did (I wasn't on the schedule at that point). They called me and told me I was late on friday, after I spent Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday calling them trying to figure out the next day I had to work. I never got a call back.

So if you didn't fall asleep during my lengthy year long job quest, am I just too damn picky? I want to say I am, but I just want to work! Like the entire week! I can't handle being off for an entire week, then busting my ass on weekends for a job that's giving me terrible hours! This is all driving me up a wall! I need money to get my car fixed, so I can sell it. The piece of crap is breaking down and now it's affecting me getting to school. If I get another job, it'll be my 6th job this year. My Dad keeps telling me, you need to try to stay at one place for a long time, but at the same time he's telling me you need to pay for your car and insurance. He also blames me for things going wrong at the places I work, which to me, isn't the case. I try to work things out, they just never seem to.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I just need some advice. If you guys could recommend me a job for a college student that I'll work at least 25 hours a week it would be much obliged. I just can't handle these petty job hours. I'm not even opposed to working in the morning and going to college at night, I'm going to hold on to this Albertsons job probably until something better comes along. I suppose I should ask more questions during the interview.

OH and a huge bonus question for you guys who are in some form of management, does having a lot of part-time jobs really affect your chances of getting a good career? For some reason my Dad seems to think so.

Thanks in advance guys.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Too Picky About Part-Time Jobs?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:21:34 AM »
Right now I wish I was you and someone like me was going to give you the advice that I'm about to give you.  

You have two concerns right now - getting paid while working a time frame you want to work and eventually being in management.

I have a solution that gives you both, instantly.  Start your own business.  As you can see it sucks working for other people because they control your earnings.  You already barely make much, so you don't have much to lose.

By starting your own business, you could easily make $200 a day, while in college, and you'll already be learning management skills.

Don't get hung up on the details of creating a business.  Just go out and do it.  If you need help, PM me.  

Here's a business that I think is easy to start on a low budget and could yield $400 a week easily.  The business is painting house numbers on curbs.  I'm not sure where you live, but it's popular in CA to have your house number spray painted on the curb in front of your house.  That way emergency workers and others can find your house easier.  All you need is some stencils and spray paint.  Head around to the nicer neighborhoods and charge $20 per curb.  Or you can give them a "donation" price card.  This is just a business card that says you only accept "donations" for painting curbs and  have a line that says people typically donate $20, $25 and $30 with a line that says, "all donations are accepted."  

Many people will pay you $20, which should be your goal.  Though you should find that some will pay less and about the same people will pay more, thus averaging you about $20/curb.  Do 20 curbs per week and that's $400.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:23:28 AM by Tyler »
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
Re: Too Picky About Part-Time Jobs?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:36:59 AM »
Tyler is a smart man, I was going to say tutoring. If you're good at certain subjects, people will pay a considerable amount for their kids to get private tutoring, maths or english usually pay well. I'm a full time guitar teacher and performing musician and I make as much as friends who are first year design engineers. I worked my ass off to get my business up to where it is, but it really paid off. I taught all through university round my courses, and it paid my bills and more! Now, because I started teaching part time when I was 16 I have built up a reputation in the area, and have basically an endless supply of students. Good luck, you are not picky, a bad job is a bad job. Sometimes they are worth sticking with, but only if you get the hours