Author Topic: Best electric shaver???  (Read 10492 times)

Offline ajfox

• Sly Guy in Training
Best electric shaver???
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to this. I have read a lot of posts but just joined the forum as of recently. I have been shaving my head since June. First shave was done by a barber who used a foil shaver that got me nice smooth and bald. I took over a short amount after I have used Mach3 and Fusion Razors. I have tried using different options those razors I previously mentioned, Andis T-outliner trimmers, Whal Balding Clippers, and as of lately I decided foil clippers might be the best for me. I have done some research and was wondering what is better foil or rotary shavers?? Also, which brand is best? My barber swears I should get a Remington, but I have read a lot about how good Braun and Panasonic's are. The foils give me just as good of a shave as a razor did, just misses in some spots. I picked up a Panasonic ES-RT51S and it got me real close but missed some spots also. A few days before that I had a Remington that did a good job, but I decided to take it back and try another. Just needing a little insight?? Brand? Store? Price?

I know this is a lot to ask for to read, but it seems like you guys have been doing this for a long time I am 21 and a rookie when it comes to shaving.

Please Help! :o

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Best electric shaver???
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 02:15:32 PM »
Buy yourself a Panasonic Wet or Dry (the latest and greatest model), shave wet in the shower and you'll get a shave that is close to a blade shave!

Arc 4 series or Arc 5 if you've got money to burn

Red
Self-Proclaimed Panasonic Linear Guru  O0
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:19:12 PM by SimplyRed »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline ajfox

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:38:41 PM »
I tried shaving in front of mirror with Lectric Shave. Would it be better to use shaving cream? Any recommendations?? I prefer to shave in front of mirror but I will give the shower shave a try. And with electric do you shave everyday? I would like to but I heard that it could cause irritation.

Sorry for all the questions.

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
Austin, no problem with the questions.  That's how we learn.

I'll post my shave routine later, when I get home.  Check this thread later this evening.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »
Buy yourself a Panasonic Wet or Dry (the latest and greatest model), shave wet in the shower and you'll get a shave that is close to a blade shave!

Arc 4 series or Arc 5 if you've got money to burn

Red
Self-Proclaimed Panasonic Linear Guru  O0

Look up the Panasonic Premium Store online. I bought my ES8243K there a couple of years ago and it is still going strong. One thing I had to get accustomed to with that store is they sell what is referred to as "refurbished" models. I had a hang-up with that until someone in here explained that what you're getting with a refurbished unit is a new shaver with all the bugs fixed. Their prices are considerably better than what you might pay in the store or maybe even on Amazon, plus you get a warranty from Panasonic.
I also have a Braun Series 3. The Panasonic is far superior. I haven't had a Remington for probably 20 years. I don't know about today's Remingtons but back then they were nothing to write home about.
The nice thing about the Panasonic Linears is that you can use them with shaving cream in the shower or at the sink and they work great. You would have to try shaving daily with any electric to answer the question about irritation because the answer is different for everybody.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline ajfox

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »
Buddha what's your routine? Shaving gel? Wet or Dry Shave?

marty22

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 05:04:36 PM »
Remington is fine and so is the Wahl.

Slynito

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum, AJ. I've been a happy Panny user for several years. My last upgrade a couple years ago was an ES-LA63. There are more state of the art models now as Red stated. And like he said it's a good head shave, but not as smooth as you get with cold steel. I've bought all of mine on E-bay and Amazon for better prices. Best of luck.

Offline ajfox

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
I liked using the razor, my head is just too sensitive. Back of my head and lower neck just too prone too bumps. From what I heard with electric this wont be as much of a problem, and it gets pretty darn close to razor shave. Only thing with electric I feel like I have to make more passes on my head.

Being a college student money is tight, I was able to pic up a Arc 4, I believe its not as high quality as others but its a ES-RF31-S. Only been using electric since Sunday, I'll give it a month.

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:58:04 PM »
I bought a Panasonic and a Norelco last summer.

The Norelco is faster, but the Panasonic is closer.

Which is my favourite?  Both of them.

What gives me the best shave??  ..... my HeadBlade.

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Best electric shaver??? (My Shave Routine)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 03:33:01 AM »
Remember my motto: Prep is everything.

My shave routine:

OK, here goes. I'm not one of those people who has ever shaved their head in five minutes. I believe that pre-shave prep and post-shave treatment goes into making a highly successful shave.

Get into shower, wash head with St. Ives Exfoliant (every other day only) otherwise, wash head with the cleanser of your choice. Right now I'm using Menscience Daily Face Wash.

Apply a good pre-shave oil, then King of Shaves AlphaGel.  I like a low-foam gel.  Leave on while washing all your other bits

Shave head completely with the Panasonic Linear electric. Keep head reasonably wet, but don't wash off too much of the gel. Run the Linear all over your head in every direction that the hair grows. Keep a good pressure on the razor, but don't bear down to heavily.

You can skip the blade shave if you just want to use the electric razor.

Apply more AlphaGel. Now shave against the grain with the Gillette Fusion (or the razor of your choice). Rinse, wash head and face with the facial cleanser of your choice. I'm using Menscience at the moment. Rinse, then do a cold water rinse before getting out of the shower.

Pat dry. Apply Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera liberally. Let air dry. Now ice cube rub and another cold water rinse. Pat dry. Let air dry again. Apply Origins Firefighter. Let air dry. Apply a good moisturiser before leaving the house. I'm using Origins Organic or Mario Badescu After Shave Balm presently. Yes, I am a product 'ho. I'm always trying different moisturisers. Start to finish, about 30 minutes. While you're waiting on all these 'air dry' sessions brush your teeth, or whatever other daily routines you need to do.

Offline ajfox

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 07:24:01 AM »
Red,

Does the St. Ives Exfoliant go by a different name? I have only been able to find facial scrubs and cleaners. Also, is the witch hazel astringent? Also would it be bad to use witch hazel w/ alcohol? Not sure what origins firefighter is either.

By pre-shave oil do you mean like Lectric Shave? And for after shave I use either Bump Patrol or Kiti Kiti, both which work pretty well I'm not sure if you have had an experience with either of those.

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36:24 AM »
Red,

Does the St. Ives Exfoliant go by a different name? I have only been able to find facial scrubs and cleaners. Also, is the witch hazel astringent? Also would it be bad to use witch hazel w/ alcohol? Not sure what origins firefighter is either.

By pre-shave oil do you mean like Lectric Shave? And for after shave I use either Bump Patrol or Kiti Kiti, both which work pretty well I'm not sure if you have had an experience with either of those.

Firstly, are you in the U.S.A.?  St. Ives Scrub is usually available in the big box stores.  I buy mine at Target.  Witch Hazel is an astringent.  I recommend against the ones with alcohol.  The brand I use is available at The Vitamin Shoppe or on-line from the maker.  Origins Firefighter is an aftershave soothing balm.  It is only available at Origins stores (sometimes found as boutique shops in Macy's).  Pre-shave oil is an actual oil.  One popular brand is Shave Secret, also available at some big box stores.  Luckily for me I don't need a shaving bump product.

Red

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Buddha what's your routine? Shaving gel? Wet or Dry Shave?

I probably should have clarified that I am primarily a blade shaver. I use the personna M5 Magnum. I almost never cut myself with it and it gives a smooth shave with a glassy shine afterward. I start off by wetting the head and washing with Suave for Men Shampoo/Conditioner/Bodywash ($2.50 at Wally World), then apply Shave Secret shaving oil (Wally's again), and over that I put either HeadSlick or King of Shaves Alpha Gel.

The times I use the electric are when I have cuts on my head that I don't want to go over with a blade or when I'm in a hurry. On those occasions I use a watered down (with isopropyl alcohol) version of Lectric Shave. I always remember to thoroughly wash the blades after using this because something in the Lectric Shave is said to be corrosive.

A lot of guys in here use the St. Ives before shaving. I'm one of the oddballs here because I use it afterward. I think that if there's dead skin on my scalp that needs to come off that the blade will get most of it, the St. Ives finishes it off. Wally's carries the St. Ives, I think Walgreen's does, too.

Hope that helps.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline ajfox

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »
@Simply Red

Yes I am in USA I was just making sure the scrub was what you were referring too. Only witch hazel I have been able to find is that with astrigent but I will continue looking or order online. Another question though, is it bad to use both electric and razor?? Or will that cause irritation?

@buddha

Do you prefer the HeadSlick or the KoS Alpha Gel? Also have you ever used electric and then a razor??