Author Topic: Unguarded clipper use - how to get a smooth shave.  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Rourkesdrift

• Sly Guy in Training
Unguarded clipper use - how to get a smooth shave.
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on unguarded clipper use.

I've recently started shaving my own head using a number 1 (use to go to barbers but now need to save money) and so far so good.

Thought about going a little shorter by using unguarded clippers for that stubble effect but first attempt didn't go too well. I did a length test on leg hair that I was happy with.

But when using on my head the clippers kind of juddered through friction and left a result that looked like furrows on a ploughed field as viewed from above. Luckily only did a small patch that wasn't too noticeable after I'd done the rest with a number 1.

It feels like some lubricant is needed to reduce the friction but I'm not aware of any product that is available (other than ones for complete shaves with a razor/headblade)

Just to clarify, I am not looking to go down to the skin yet, just a little shorter than a number one.

Any suggestions/tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: Unguarded clipper use - how to get a smooth shave.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »
interesting. shaving your head with a straight razor means saving up money.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Rourkesdrift

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »
True, face shaving costs me a fortune as it is but at 14 pounds a time (30 odd times a year) a pair of clippers and some electricity for the head do save a bit of money.

Slynito

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
Sounds to me like your clipper is not powerful enough for the job. Is it a hair clipper or a beard trimmer? I would take the blades off (2 screws) and clean all of the hair clippings out, clean the blades, reassemble, lubricate with very light oil and see if it improves. Good luck!

Offline Rourkesdrift

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »
Thanks, it is a hair clipper (Remington) but I will try that. The actual friction occurs on the metal plate at the base of the blades. Perhaps I need to find some way of lubricating that! Or buy new clippers...Thanks for the input, though.

Slynito

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
Thanks, it is a hair clipper (Remington) but I will try that. The actual friction occurs on the metal plate at the base of the blades. Perhaps I need to find some way of lubricating that! Or buy new clippers...Thanks for the input, though.

Did you get a little bottle of oil with the clippers? You put a drop or two on the blades and then run it a little and wipe off excess.

Offline Rourkesdrift

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
Yeah, did oil them for the leg test I did and it glided, which gave me the cofidence to start on the head but the bumping as I started led me to abort and a mirror check gave me the furrow confirmation. Perhaps it's just my technique needs improving!!

Slynito

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
Yeah, did oil them for the leg test I did and it glided, which gave me the cofidence to start on the head but the bumping as I started led me to abort and a mirror check gave me the furrow confirmation. Perhaps it's just my technique needs improving!!

The clippers that a barber uses has a more powerful motor and of course is more pricy than the Remington or the one I have, so that's how you see them plowing through full heads of hair. I have let my hair grow out at times and to get it back to the scalp is a huge chore using the toys I have. And another thing. When the blades get hot from friction they cut much less, worse. Wishin' ya luck.

Offline Rourkesdrift

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
Cheers, will try your tips but may have to stick to a No.1

Slynito

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »
Cheers, will try your tips but may have to stick to a No.1

Keep trying, but sticking to #1 is probably best unless you choose to spring for pro clipper, imho. Oh yea, welcome to the forum, enjoy.

O:O O:O

Offline medpsy82

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »
I have also noticed that when using clippers if the clippers are not flat against the head they do tend to skip around some. With no guard it can be harder to tell if the clippers are actually flat against your head or if you are angling them some. Also pressure seems to do the same thing. Just a thought
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/120919/samp3c41427fc0c77b87.jpg[/img]    ~No Worries~

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »
try using a wet dry shaver or some electric solution for a closer shave maybe that might help

Enter your email address: