Author Topic: 3rd day shaving everyday, head feels raw and razor burned  (Read 7346 times)

Offline medpsy82

• Sly Jr.
3rd day shaving everyday, head feels raw and razor burned
« on: September 19, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
I normally only shave every 2 or 3 days, but decided to try shaving everyday starting this week. Si far I really like the smooth feeling apposed to the short stubble of a day or so growth. However, my head feels like it is razor burned and raw after I shave  :Xo!. I am guessing it will take time for my head to get use to it being shaved this often, but man it feels raw and nasty. I am thinking my lather might not be up to par for this yet, I make my own with save soap and a boar brush. I use a Sheik Hydro 5 to shave my head with most of the time, DE on weekends or days off when I have time. I also mix Headslick into my lather right at the end, after the lather is pretty much made. Keeping on trucking and see what happens, No Worries  O:O either way.

[img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/120919/samp3c41427fc0c77b87.jpg[/img]    ~No Worries~

Slynito

Re: 3rd day shaving everyday, head feels raw and razor burned
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
I would use the Hydro and shave with the grain until the head felt and looked better. And perhaps every other day. Good luck.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
The Hydro is a good, gentle razor IMO. Like Slynito said, go with the grain for a while until your head adjusts to the daily shaving.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
Slynito and Doug gave you some great advice.  You might want to perform a cold water rinse immediately after your head shave, towel dry head,  ice cube rub until it melts, and refrigerated witch hazel (let air dry).  Than apply Hydrocorisone 10 Lotion to help with the razor burn.

Keep us posted,

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline medpsy82

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »
My normal shave routine fora while has been every other day or 3 days, depending on how busy I got, and now moving to the everyday way of life. Thank you both for the With the Grain (WTG) advise, I haven't shave WTG for so long I didn't think about that.

I also normally use Thayers Witch Hazel with some glycerin mixed in after I shave and was thinking about using Eucerin after that dries to give my head some moisture and protection. Any one ever used Eucerin Daily Replenish or the Eucerin Shave Balm? Just saw the shave balm today while Googling Eucerin with Bald Heads.
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/120919/samp3c41427fc0c77b87.jpg[/img]    ~No Worries~

Slynito

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
Good idea...putting moisture back in should give relief...whitch hazel then aloe makes me feel good after razor burn.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 12:19:14 AM »
hey. changes take time. give it a few days and you'll love it.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: 3rd day shaving everyday, head feels raw and razor burned
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »
Just takes time for the good 'ol scalp to toughen up. Haven't tried the Ice cube thing but I do find the cold water rinse after works wonders... YMMV8)

Cheers,
Ro

Offline medpsy82

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
Loving it so far, just not for about an hour or so after I finish. Used some Eucerin daily replenishing yesterday. Head felt weird for a bit, but pretty good all day today so far. Sun wasn't as bad on my head.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »
I've tried all the different time frames between shaves: daily, every other day, every few days, etc.  I've settled on every 2-3 days, though sometimes I'll shave two days in a row. 

I've found that when you shave on consecutive days, that 2nd day will almost never be as smooth as the first.  The reason being is that to attain that absolutely smooth ATG shave on the 2nd day you have to press harder (if using cart razor) or do more passes (using a DE or similar) because your hair is closer to the skin or even under the skin, and this inevitably leads to irritation. 

The sly guys have given you great advice on how to treat razor burn post-shave, but I honestly believe if you're getting any type of razor burn you're doing it wrong.  That's why I've settled on shaving every 2-3 days; I can get the absolute best BBS shave possible with zero irritation.  I also believe it is possible to get a BBS dome shaving daily, it just requires more work and you're pretty much guaranteed at least some irritation in my experience.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:17:40 PM »
I've tried all the different time frames between shaves: daily, every other day, every few days, etc.  I've settled on every 2-3 days, though sometimes I'll shave two days in a row. 

I've found that when you shave on consecutive days, that 2nd day will almost never be as smooth as the first.  The reason being is that to attain that absolutely smooth ATG shave on the 2nd day you have to press harder (if using cart razor) or do more passes (using a DE or similar) because your hair is closer to the skin or even under the skin, and this inevitably leads to irritation. 

The sly guys have given you great advice on how to treat razor burn post-shave, but I honestly believe if you're getting any type of razor burn you're doing it wrong.  That's why I've settled on shaving every 2-3 days; I can get the absolute best BBS shave possible with zero irritation.  I also believe it is possible to get a BBS dome shaving daily, it just requires more work and you're pretty much guaranteed at least some irritation in my experience.

Thanks, Bill...That's the explanation that I was trying to give for not being an everyday shaver (not that I needed to give one), but the words were lacking for me that day....
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline alaskandave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 05:00:47 AM »
Great comment Bill. I do the same thing as Bill. I find I get a closer shave and less irritation when I shave every other day. It is also easier to shave it. The only time I shave every day is if I have the day off and I shaved the day before. My hair doesn't grow fast enough for me to shave every day.
AlaskanDave

Offline medpsy82

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 06:39:22 AM »
Thanks to all for the great comments and advice. I will try the daily shaving for a little while longer to see if it works for me, if not I will most likely go back to every other, or 3rd depending on what is happening, day as before.

This should be a fun experiment  O0

Offline Bucksfan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »
When I went to every day, I started combating bumps and irritation with Bump Patrol, followed by a light moisturizer. 

Give those a try.