Author Topic: 20 And On The Fence (With Pictures)  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Witness

• Sly Guy in Training
20 And On The Fence (With Pictures)
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
Hey guys, I'm Alex 20 y.o male from Greece  :)
I've been a MPB sufferer since mid 15s. I have quite long hair (by choice) which by the way has helped covering up my problem a bit. However the MPB pattern is partially visible to others than me for about a year now and recently I've gotten my first comment in a long time about my hair being thin at the front.

Well I'm considering going completely sly but i'm afraid it will be a huge shock to me after having long curly hair for like 4+ years. What if I don't like it.. I won't be able to have my long hair back and there's no way I'll let them grow back and show everyone my ugly hairline  :D 

My only motivation is the hope that I will get over all the worries about going out when my hair doesn't look that good, about standing below intense light or getting too close to people. I really feel like having some form of disability that won't let me do things I enjoy in life  :-\

Well I attached a couple of pictures, tell me what you think I'll look like if I go sly. Do you think my face would look a bit more sharp if I lost some weight? ( I went a bit over the top with the badass look in the second one lol  :P) Excuse my bad english too  :)

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
Re: 20 And On The Fence (With Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »
You would look great. Go for it.

marty22

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
you may want to try a shorter cut lst and gradually get to the no hair look. welcome by the way!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
Welcome Alex, your English is just fine ... no apologies necessary.

Gotta say I haven't met a single guy yet who didn't look good sly - it is a "look" which seems to work with every head shape, coloring, frame, facial configuration, etc. You get the idea.

But it will definitely be a shock to yourself and others if you go completely from hair to hair-less. If I were you, I'd do it because - your hair is thinning and is likely to continue getting thinner, you stated that your hair issues are impacting your ability to enjoy life. At 20 years old that is a huge burden. So based on those, I'd go directly to Sly and have a planned answer when people ask why -- no need to say anything about thinning hair or receding hairline. Something more like - I'm ready for a change, or I'm totally changing my life, or whatever you can say which is believable (and true).

Alternatively, you could begin cutting your hair shorter every couple of weeks and getting closer to sly. But I think that's going to be painful (emotionally). You're going to worry that your thinness is more obvious and it just prolongs the agony you are feeling.

I think you'll look great, and I also think you'll find a huge reserve of self-confidence which will power you through the awkwardness of the transition. You may find yourself naturally losing a little weight, dressing a little better, and having a bit more positive outlook on life and being adventurous. Many others have felt these things.

If you haven't read about the 30-day challenge, I recommend you commit to it. It's easy (though I've added one additional step):
* Shave regularly (daily is my recommendation) for 30 days, this helps you get all the skills to become natural
* It gives you and others a full month to adjust to the new you
* And (I added) post regularly here at SBG about your experiences, any problems, your successes.

The guys here are awesome. There's probably not a problem you could present which hasn't been experienced by at least one of them. Guys of every age from teens to 80s are here to offer their support and encouragement.

Whatever path you choose, I wish you much happiness in finding a means to diminish the control your hair is having over you. Every day should be enjoyed without fear of overhead lighting, wind, "bad hair days" and all that.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:42:18 PM by FrontierGuy »
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Slynito

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »
I got to agree with FrontierGuy...I don't remember seeing shaved guys that look bad. And think about a short buzz to get the feet wet.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
I agree with FrontierGuy too (for the most part).  There are some people I don't think pull off the look so well but it doesn't matter.  All that matters is they make a choice and they are happy.  You, however, are not one of those guys.  I believe you will look great and as long as you are open to the idea (and you must be since you are here), you are going to love it!

I agree - do it all at once.  You will have more anxiety buzzing shorter and shorter because the MPB will still be visible and you'll have more explaining to do.  I can imagine it's a tough choice at 20 (I was more than twice that when I saw the need) but you don't want to live your life with anxiety and restrictions.

Look at other posts and you will see all the guys before you that had the same reservations and feelings.  They shaved their head and they felt great and they felt they looked great.  I suggest you pick a day in the near future, plan a long weekend for yourself, and do it for yourself.  I also say keep the beard for now.

Post a picture after you do it.  I can tell you are really close.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »
Well, there was one guy 40 years ago in college, that shaved his head all the time. At the time I thought he looked strange.  But today, a bald head is pretty common. Just look through the profile pictures here on SBG. All the guys look great with bald heads.

Going from your super long hear to bald would be quite a change!  But a good change.

Read through and listen to the stories of the guys on here. How many of the guys are just delighted after shaving their heads. They worry and fret up until the day they get the clippers and razor blade out and mow down the hair.  For most, it's immediately delight with the new results.

I'll look forward to having you join the sly bald guys as SLY.

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
20 was about the time when I got fully fed up with the thinning process. I shaved it sly on my 21st bday. It's natural to be semi self conscious about this, especially at a young age.

I felt it would make me seem much older than I actually was, so I covered it with a hat. Big mistake. If you go sly, SHOW IT OFF. Don't cover it up. Just embrace it. You'll look great. Don't worry about anyone saying anything negative, you'll get plenty of positive reactions! O0
Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline Witness

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »
Just as you said I'm FULLY fed up with that. My uni exams start tomorrow and I'm realising I didn't enjoy my summer AT ALL. What is more I lost too many classes last semester due to ''bad hair days'' and failed more exams than I should..

Thanks for the motivation people! Sly it is for me! I have to keep my hair though for I have an obligation in exactly 1 month where I need them ;) After that I'll plan a day just like Acme said and take some time off things to get past the first shock  :D

I'll keep you guys updated with pictures from the new look as soon as I get it. Till then I'l keep lurking around getting tips for my first shave.

What do you guys think about the sly look being connected to white supremacism? I personally dig the millitant look since camo shorts or black tight pants with black millitary boots look great with black metal shirts etc. Though a far right-wing party here in Greece has been on the rise lately and being mistaken for one of them is kinda dangerous where I live. I don't know how things are where you guys live but does any of you get mistaken for a racist or something?

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »
Just as you said I'm FULLY fed up with that. My uni exams start tomorrow and I'm realising I didn't enjoy my summer AT ALL. What is more I lost too many classes last semester due to ''bad hair days'' and failed more exams than I should..

Thanks for the motivation people! Sly it is for me! I have to keep my hair though for I have an obligation in exactly 1 month where I need them ;) After that I'll plan a day just like Acme said and take some time off things to get past the first shock  :D

I'll keep you guys updated with pictures from the new look as soon as I get it. Till then I'l keep lurking around getting tips for my first shave.

What do you guys think about the sly look being connected to white supremacism? I personally dig the millitant look since camo shorts or black tight pants with black millitary boots look great with black metal shirts etc. Though a far right-wing party here in Greece has been on the rise lately and being mistaken for one of them is kinda dangerous where I live. I don't know how things are where you guys live but does any of you get mistaken for a racist or something?

I've never had an issue with my SLY-ness being connected to racism. I'm jewish, so I'm the farthest thing from a white supremacist! lol. Obviously if you get Swastika tats and wear high leather boots with camo shorts, you may be labeled as such, but if you dress like a normal human being and live a normal life, I wouldn't imagine you'd ever have a problem. Just dress like a gentleman and you'll be good to go!
Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
This was discussed not too long ago.  The net was that it comes down to attitude - if you have a militant attitude you'll be perceived that way.

On the other hand, if you're a pleasant person, polite, with a smile, you'll be perceived that way.

Ultimately, you're in control of how you look and behave. Choose accordingly and reap the rewards.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
Welcome to the bald brotherhood Alex. You have a handsome face and a clean shaven head will bring it out some more. I say your head is ripe for the reaping..I mean shaving. Best regards.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Witness

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:33 PM »
Obviously if you get Swastika tats and wear high leather boots with camo shorts, you may be labeled as such, but if you dress like a normal human being and live a normal life, I wouldn't imagine you'd ever have a problem. Just dress like a gentleman and you'll be good to go!

Well I don't have any swastika tats and I really consider my camo shorts normal (and human  :P). It's just part of the heavy metal culture that has been enriching my life in the most beautiful way for many years now. Oh well, I'm a really polite and smily person so I hope I won't have any problems. That nose piercing helps too I think since supremacist guys are supposed to keep their face clean from piercings.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »
Welcome, Alex!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 12:14:17 AM »
hi. you will like it, but for the first 4-5 days you will feel..naked.
go for it step by step, from a regular cut, to a buzz cut, then with no guard, then shave it off.
BTW: how could you resist with a looong hair in greece's inferno? ( I mean, it's so hot there... )
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Enter your email address: