Author Topic: Career Change??  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
Career Change??
« on: September 15, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »
Anyone out there successfully changed their career path??

I'm currently working doing a job that brings me down, I've lost all interest in it so find it real boring. I work as a service engineer in the leisure industry, working on slot machines, quiz machines, pool tables, jukeboxes etc.... The hours aren't great, most nights I don't finish till 10pm, the pay is pretty lousy (I was made redundant from a simillar role in 2011 that paid £5000 per year more for the same job) and the environment can be pretty rough at times, 99% of the time I'm working in bars and clubs (and mainly bad ones at that!) so I've had all the threats to be stabbed and glassed etc..... and just general abuse which wears you down.

Obvious choice would be to try and transfer to a simillar industry where my skills would be relevant but working hours/environments more to my liking but after a couple of years of trying nothing has come off. I know that my problems are that 1) I've only ever really done this job, 2) I don't have any real qualifications in what I do know (I just kinda fell into it 10 years ago!). Unfortunatly most simillar industries are looking for the qualifications and direct experience, and because of the state of the country at the moment there are plenty people out there with those requirements out of work, it makes sense really, take a chance on the guy that'd probably work out eventually or take on the guy who's done it before and doesn't require any training.

So has anyone completely made the transition to a totally differnt industry?? Last night I was on what they call a "Speed Awareness Course" over here, essentially if you get caught by the Police speeding by not too much you get to sit a course to educate you on road safety and avoid getting penalty points on your driving license. It was 4 hours so I had plenty time to think, the guy delivering the course was a highly trained driver and seemed to really enjoy his work so it got me thinking, "why don't i try and do something i actually enjoy?". When I was younger I shyed away from doing anything i was into as a career, I am a total car freak so didn't want to work on cars for a living as that was what i did in my spare time to unwind from work, now I'm feeling I made a mistake!!

Anyone got a story to tell??

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Career Change??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »
I say that you should always educate yourself in new things and if you find one that you truly love and can provide you an income then you should do it.  What's funny is that we typically really like things that we're really good at and when we become really good at things then we can typically make good money doing that thing. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
I had a similar experience a few years ago.

I was working as a warehouse manager/buyer/administrative clerk for a San Francisco-based clothing manufacturer when they reorganized and shifted the bulk of their production from Mexico to Egypt and Turkey which made my job(s) obsolete. Four months later I was starting a new job on a cruise ship in Hawai'i.

I'm still basically doing warehouse work (in the ship's provisions department) but it's a very different industry. Immkinda glad now that things worked outthe way they did.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
Prior to my present career (weighing and inspecting grain trucks) I was into mostly security....I was also in the active army and National Guard for 22 years. I am just returning to college part time this semester for the first time in 16 years. While I have a well-paying job, I want to finish college even if it doesn't necessarily lead to anything better. There is nothing wrong with making your hobby your career, but you have to be open for change and movement to improve yourself should that opportunity arise....I made a career change at age 34, so it's never too late for you. Advancing your education could certainly help get you out of the "rut" that you feel you are in...Good luck to you, man.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 04:57:06 AM »
When I joined the labor force four decades ago (yeah, I'm that old) my first manager told me something which has never left me: "If you are not having fun and truly enjoying your job at least three days out of five you are either: 1) In the right industry but the wrong employer, or 2) In the wrong industry entirely." In either case, figure it out and make changes.

I've passed that on to anyone that I've trained and they all know that when I see them I'll ask them, "How many days?" Often the answer is 5, sometimes 4. If I hear three or less then it's time for a friendly talk about issues and action to move forward towards happiness.

I've changed jobs many times - sometimes with the same employer, and other times with a change of employer. Some changes were initiated by me, others by the employer or the economy. Without a doubt, every change has been beneficial. New teammates, different physical surroundings, different skills, sometimes different geographical location. Often those things are positive or negative depending on how you choose to view them. I am The Original Optimist and always see the positives in an opportunity.

I know that doesn't do much to answer your question. But here's a question for you: Can you picture yourself doing the same job you have now for another ten (or 20) years? If not, there's your answer. Time to figure our what industry/jobs/skills appeal to you and begin learning about them and putting yourself into situations where you will encounter people from those areas who can tell you more about employment requirements/opportunities.

Live is too short not to enjoy your work when it consumes so many waking hours of your week.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012