Author Topic: Neti Pot  (Read 6798 times)

Offline justtom

• ~BALD BY CHOICE~
  • Sly
  • "THE MORE HAIR I SHAVE THE MORE HEAD I GET"
Neti Pot
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:58:18 AM »
So I am curious to see who uses one. I picked up myself one back in December at the local corner family drug store after a customer at my job recommend it to me to help with my sinus infection. And its been part of my daily morning routine ever since. During the peek allergy/hay fever season I will use it up to three times a day.But I must say since using it. For the fist time in over 15 years I had not needed to take my prescription allergy meds. And I just gave them the royal flush down the toilet.I am now looking to upgrade to a nice brass one and use the plastic one for travel.For those that never herd of one here is a small description and a picture.Please post up you comments.Thanks and Have A Great Day.

Tom.

Neti Pots: A Holistic Health Care Treatment for Sinus Problems and Congestion

Neti pots have been used throughout history as a holistic health care solution in various parts of Asia and in India as part of Yoga and Ayurvedic traditions. The flush of warm salt water in the sinus cavity provides much needed moisture and relief from sinus pressure, stuffiness, headaches and the typical runny nose.
Neti Pots: A Holistic Health Care Treatment for Sinus Problems and Congestion
A Natural Health Approach Used Throughout HistoryNeti Pot

Nanci Bompey, a writer for the Asheville Citizen-Times, published an article titled “Neti Pot Craze” on May 15, 2007.  According to Bompey’s report, “The American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology estimates that 37 million Americans suffer from chronic sinusitis. Health care providers report nearly 32 million cases of chronic sinusitis to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention annually and Americans spend $5.8 billion each year on health care costs related to the condition.”  For many people suffering from sinusitis and other common health problems such as colds, the flu, allergies and headaches, Neti Pots can be an affordable, safe and medication-free solution.

Neti pots have been used throughout history as a holistic health care solution in various parts of Asia and in India as part of Yoga and Ayurvedic traditions. The flush of warm salt water in the sinus cavity provides much needed moisture and relief from sinus pressure, stuffiness, headaches and the typical runny nose.  “For some people, it might seem strange to stick the spout of a small ceramic pot up their noses, deliberately pouring saline solution through their sinus passages,” writes Bompey.  “But for those who use the neti pot to clear their heads of mucus and congestion, especially during allergy season, there is nothing odd about it, and nothing better,” she continues.    
Naturopathic Doctor’s Cure for Common Allergies and Symptoms of Sinusitis

Managing common allergies and symptoms such as a stuffy nose and sinus pressure can be exhausting.  Oftentimes traditional medical doctors prescribe complicated allergy medicines or patients choose over the counter medications that can have any number of side effects.  In order to avoid synthetic drugs holistic doctors and naturopaths often recommend neti pots, they can even be used as a means of prevention before sinus problems occur.  If you have spent time outside, a neti pot can remove pollen, dirt and dust.    
Holistic Health Care Tips for Using Your New Neti Pot

In the beginning, it may seem awkward or difficult to use a neti pot, but with practice it will become one of your essential, alternative health tools.

Tip 1: Use distilled or purified water, not tap water.
    Tip 2: Add pure sea salt, not table salt. Avoid any salts containing iodine or anti-caking substances.
    Tip 3: Place the spout in one nostril, lean over a sink and tilt your head slightly to the side.  The warm salt water should now flow through your sinuses and out the opposite nostril.  If you swallow water, continue attempting other angles until the water flows correctly.
    Tip 4: Clean and disinfect your neti pot after each use.
    Tip 5: Use the neti pot on a regular basis. Think of your neti pot as a way to remove unwanted toxins from your body and to restore balance to your sinuses.
In the world of holistic health care and naturopathic medicine neti pots can be an excellent natural treatment both alone or in conjunction with other alternative health therapies.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:09:53 AM by justtom »

Offline tm1

• Sly Jr.
Re: Neti Pot
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:05:28 AM »
I have used one for the last 3 years for my allergys and love it

Offline alaskandave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 04:08:28 AM »
I would recommend not using the Neti Pot but the bottle instead. I have found a lot better relief with using the bottle instead of the pot.
AlaskanDave

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 04:22:19 AM »
We have a neti pot here at home.  It comes out when we get congested. Don't use it daily, but when sinus issues come up, we do.  We like it better than nasal sprays and other chemical treatments that just seem artificial.  The salt water seems to do a good job of disinfecting the nasal passages of whatever should not be there.

Offline justtom

• ~BALD BY CHOICE~
  • Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:24:59 AM »
I would recommend not using the Neti Pot but the bottle instead. I have found a lot better relief with using the bottle instead of the pot.

^ WOW... I fell the total opposite gave the bottle a good try for years and found the pot to give me a truly more deeper flush and better nasal irrigation that lasted alot longer and greatly improved my breathing.It did not take me long to trash the bottle and never look back. I gave the pot its rightful spot in my Man Cave Bathroom.The bottle is totally different and has very little Similarities and flushing power then the Neti Pot. There is no comparison imo.But hey what ever works for you dave.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:20:00 AM by justtom »

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:34:38 AM »
I've used it in the past with great success. Just remember not to use tap water with it. I've read of people getting really sick when the used tap water because of some bacteria that was in the water.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »
I've heard of it before, but never actually tried it. Maybe it is something I might look into... Seeing as how it is about to start entering that nasty hayfever season in the next few weeks!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 07:32:39 AM »
I had a bad sinus infection/allergies this Summer. Went on for weeks. Over the counter medication really did not help clear it up. Just raised my blood pressure! Got antibiotics and still did not feel 100 percent. Got a neti pot and that finally did the trick. Next time I will just start with the neti pot. Or if I'm feeling a little stuffed up thats what I am going for first. The Trick is that it washes out all the sinuses and all the allergens. It gave the best relief. Using it is easy to use and not uncomfortable at all. Don't use tap water. Use distilled.

Offline justtom

• ~BALD BY CHOICE~
  • Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
Yes distilled is what I use and keep a gallon on hand at all times,but you can use tap water if you boil it to remove the impurities I did this in the beginning but the distilled is much more smother and recommended,I also add some tea tree oil with my salt mixture at times.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
I'm a believer in this also. I use a bottle but that Nasaflo pot of yours looks good. Where might one come by one of those?

On the tap vs distilled water question I've read that people have actually died from the effects of using tap water. This could be a bacterial problem or it could be the effects of some water treatment chemicals. If bacteria was the only concern bringing it to a boil would resolve that issue. If the problem is the chemicals.....
Hence, I only use distilled water.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
My partner uses one nightly. Distilled water only.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 11:04:50 AM »
Oh mannn, I thought you guys were talking about a new type of grass...LOL.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
Oh mannn, I thought you guys were talking about a new type of grass...LOL.

:*))
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
Another believer here.  I usually just let nasal congestion run its course, but if it's really bad and to the point where I'm not breathing very well I break out the Neti Pot and it flushes out my sinuses with ease.  Love it.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:32:27 AM »
I use a Neti pot whenever I have a cold or sinus congestion and it works really well, to the point where I don't use other medications.

As to the tap versus distilled water issue, realize that tap water from a municipal water system is treated to kill bacteria and is tested for e.coli, one of the most resistant bacteria.  I would have no concern about using it in a Neti pot

Enter your email address: