Author Topic: Advice wanted  (Read 1486 times)

harderwithstyle

Advice wanted
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:45:20 AM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:23:44 AM by harderwithstyle »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: A few newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:31:21 AM »
Harder, I suspect that the nose/forehead concerns will disappear when you shave you're head. The may look larger now because of the hair. Sans hair, the will fall into perspective.

I have always cut my own hair since going to clippers seven years ago. It is simple.  Wife could do it too, but not necessary. My wife takes too long (perfectionist). 

My route was to run the clippers shorter and shorter each week until I was bald.  that works. Or just go for it and buzz with no guard.  But the real joy comes with thee razor shave. Looks almost the same as no guard, but feels so much better. You won't want to go back to hair again.

Use the barber if you want to pamper yourself and can afford it. I just do my own. Speaking of which, its time for my daily shave.

Offline tm1

• Sly Jr.
Re: Advice wanted
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:05:52 AM »
Welcome and I agrree with Mr zed not much difference in cutting with clippers no guard and razor.this is only my 2nd week sly and love it I did the clipper thing for awhile and glad I took the plunge there is no going back for me . I always thought my were big till I shaved my head

Andrei

Re: Advice wanted
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 05:15:00 AM »
Welcome Marc!

I used to buzz my own hair, now I use the razor.
If you have any birth marks make sure not to cut them, but you should have no problems at all on trimming your hair all by yourself.
You wife can help you when you miss a spot.
If you think it takes you too much time, don't worry, the second time it will be easier and faster.

Enjoy the experience!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: A few newbie questions
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »
Harder, I suspect that the nose/forehead concerns will disappear when you shave you're head. The may look larger now because of the hair. Sans hair, the will fall into perspective.

I have always cut my own hair since going to clippers seven years ago. It is simple.  Wife could do it too, but not necessary. My wife takes too long (perfectionist). 

My route was to run the clippers shorter and shorter each week until I was bald.  that works. Or just go for it and buzz with no guard.  But the real joy comes with thee razor shave. Looks almost the same as no guard, but feels so much better. You won't want to go back to hair again.

Use the barber if you want to pamper yourself and can afford it. I just do my own. Speaking of which, its time for my daily shave.

Welcome Marc, Mr Z said it all quite well.

I'll just add that this is really easy and you can do it all yourself - which I would encourage. This is really about "you" and I feel that you should be the one who controls this "rite of passage."

As for the forehead, Mr Z has it right - the hairline brings attention to the forehead -- when the hairline is gone the forehead issue will be gone as well. You've got a really nicely shaped head and are going to look terrific Sly (whether buzzed or shaved).

As for confidence, here's what I believe you should expect. Trimming that first strip down to the scalp will be a little of "Oh, my" feeling. But now that you've started you have to finish the job. When you're done the feeling will be "Oh, what an incredible relief" - not that you're done, but that you no longer have to worry around hair issues of any kind. You're next will be "Who is that?" because it will take you a few days to become accustomed to the "New and Better You." You'll expect lots of reactions from others - and will be surprised when you get relatively few. We believe that everyone else is focused on our hair - when they are actually more interested in their own lives. I know - disappointing, huh?

And then, prepare yourself for the surge in self-confidence which comes from a simple haircut. Who knew?

And, finally, you'll be back here posting ... "I don't know why I waited so long." That's the real surprise.

To get from "here to there" I really encourage you to adhere to the "30 day commitment" - commit to the Sly look for 30 days (whether it's by clippers or by razor). First, you'll develop the mechanics of head shaving. Second, it will become a natural part of your grooming routine. Third, it will give your scalp time to adjust. And Fourth - it will give you and those around you time to adjust to the new look.

Just finished my coffee, so it's time for my daily shave - haven't missed a day since I started.

Keep us posted Marc ... ask questions, tell about your experiences, and join in the occasional silliness which is Sly.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012