Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 899709 times)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #2265 on: February 23, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »
Totally envious of some of the beards in this thread. I've tried growing out a long lumberjack beard, but I find my facial hair just doesn't grow in thick enough so it looks kind of ratty. So I just try to keep it short and tidy.

You probably just need to give it more time - most beards have that look when first growing out.  Grow beyond the length you want, and then when you trim back the thin ends it will look much fuller.
SlyBeard

Offline J_Scott

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2266 on: February 23, 2016, 03:14:18 PM »
Totally envious of some of the beards in this thread. I've tried growing out a long lumberjack beard, but I find my facial hair just doesn't grow in thick enough so it looks kind of ratty. So I just try to keep it short and tidy.

It looks pretty good from your avatar.

Thanks, Sly Mike.

You probably just need to give it more time - most beards have that look when first growing out.  Grow beyond the length you want, and then when you trim back the thin ends it will look much fuller.

That makes sense, I'll give it a shot. I'm always trying to get a better beard to go with the dome.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2267 on: February 23, 2016, 04:05:38 PM »

It looks pretty good from your avatar.

Thanks, Sly Mike.

That makes sense, I'll give it a shot. I'm always trying to get a better beard to go with the dome.

There are various beard boards on the internet that you can check out for tips on how to get the beard that you want and how much time you may need. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2268 on: February 23, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
I've tried growing out a long lumberjack beard, but I find my facial hair just doesn't grow in thick enough so it looks kind of ratty.

Picking up on what the gentlemen before me have said, beards are odd in how they grow in. Cheeks grow at a different pace than the mustache which grows differently than the neck that likewise grows at a speed different from the jaw and chin. Then there are the various grains of the growth patterns (my neck's beard grows up while every other area points downward).

The best thing to do is to let it grow out for a while, then trim it up to make it uniform when it gets to the mass/length you want.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2269 on: February 23, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
I think in most cases the beard we end up with is quite different from what we had visualized when we were starting out.  I think the key is to just let it grow out and see what direction it want to go in naturally -- and then trim/style to complement what Mother Nature started.

Offline J_Scott

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2270 on: February 23, 2016, 07:30:45 PM »
This is all great advice guys. The beard I have now is about 1.5 months old, I'll give another month or so and see where that takes me. Hopefully I'll have a good beard going by the spring.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2271 on: February 23, 2016, 07:39:11 PM »
This is all great advice guys. The beard I have now is about 1.5 months old, I'll give another month or so and see where that takes me. Hopefully I'll have a good beard going by the spring.

You've got a good one going now.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2272 on: February 23, 2016, 07:40:47 PM »
This I'm not so sure about:

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2273 on: February 23, 2016, 08:30:18 PM »
Good expanse, Razor.

If mine was that thick, I would be waxing and shaping it.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2274 on: February 23, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
Good expanse, Razor.

If mine was that thick, I would be waxing and shaping it.

I'm not ready to venture out in public like that yet.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2275 on: February 24, 2016, 12:47:25 AM »
That an excellent new beard DoberDaddy, keep it up!
You don't know me, but I know you.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2276 on: February 24, 2016, 12:54:14 AM »
Almost six months old.

My wife calls it my Midlife Crisis.

(Too bad I am nowhere near recovering!)

That's the problem.  Once you get used to a little (or a lot of) extra length, it's very hard to go back to shorter.  I looked back at some of my photos from 2-3 months ago and cringed.  We're o a dangerous, slippery slope.  ;)

Yours looks great, BTW.

I'm going to second both statements here.  Once you get used to a little extra length it really does get locked into your mind as your normal and correct length and pics with a shorter beard really look strange.  I still remember a time long ago I decided to go beyond the half inch guard on my clippers and got really self conscience as it grew beyond my comfort zone.  Looking back it seems so absurd.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2277 on: February 24, 2016, 01:00:23 AM »
I noticed that Beardman disappeared from this thread he created, but I always hoped he'd return.  Now when I open the thread the pic he posted in the original post is now broken link.  I'm pretty confident that he must have shaved and moved on.  Kinda sad since he was so proud of it and encouraging of others here.

Offline J_Scott

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2278 on: February 24, 2016, 08:47:43 AM »

Thanks Razor, you've got an amazing beard btw.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2279 on: February 24, 2016, 09:02:15 AM »

Thanks Razor, you've got an amazing beard btw.

Thanks

Enter your email address: