Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 900336 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #2160 on: December 15, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
I unleashed my beard today so that I could dye the roots and tie it back up.  It was the first time in 6 weeks!:

I accidently mixed up the entire bottle of dye when I had intended just to use a little bit for the roots.  Oops.  This time I got the light brown instead of the blonde that I used the other week.  The blonde did absolutely nothing. 
This is it after I colored it, and it measured 28" on the chin.  I was gradually letting the rest get longer and about a year ago I stopped trimming altogether so I could have a terminal length beard all around.  You can see where the shorter hairs match up at below my shoulder:

Then this is it tied back up and with a nice bit of my homemade beard balm:

Typically after doing it strays will pop out for a couple days so once I get enough I bind them back up and fasten them in.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2161 on: December 15, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
Rusty,

One of my all-time favorite bald/beard combos here!

Steve

I unleashed my beard today so that I could dye the roots and tie it back up.  It was the first time in 6 weeks!:

I accidently mixed up the entire bottle of dye when I had intended just to use a little bit for the roots.  Oops.  This time I got the light brown instead of the blonde that I used the other week.  The blonde did absolutely nothing. 
This is it after I colored it, and it measured 28" on the chin.  I was gradually letting the rest get longer and about a year ago I stopped trimming altogether so I could have a terminal length beard all around.  You can see where the shorter hairs match up at below my shoulder:

Then this is it tied back up and with a nice bit of my homemade beard balm:

Typically after doing it strays will pop out for a couple days so once I get enough I bind them back up and fasten them in.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2162 on: December 15, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
Rusty,

One of my all-time favorite bald/beard combos here!

Steve

Thanks.  I remember early on when I was on the fence with the whole bald head thing yours really helped inspire me to go with it.  I still don't think my bald head and beard are anywhere near as badass as yours but I'm happy with it.   O0

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #2163 on: December 16, 2015, 01:30:28 AM »
I had mine trimmed this week to give I some shape as it can get a bit too thick and wild. I prefer it to grow down rather than out!

You look great!

Agreed.  You've got some great thickness there so it gives you a lot of flexibility with styling.  There is something to be said about keeping the sides in check while letting the length grow.
Cheers. After shaving it off last time I have just realised I'm not good when it gets out of control. My beard gets very thick at the sides and looks scruffy. I want to go longer but this time taking my time to grow the beard I want.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2164 on: December 16, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
Rusty, your beard is an inspiration to me and I assume many guys on this board.  My dream is to one day have enough length to do a tie-up like you do.
SlyBeard

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2165 on: December 16, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »
Rusty:

Genuine genuflection, sir!
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2166 on: December 17, 2015, 12:10:34 AM »
Once when my goatee was around 8" or so I went to a dress up Old Fart birthday party where I dressed up as an old fart.  I "bleached" my goatee with talcum powder and it worked great, so any future Santas out there should consider it instead of bleach. I did it before using wax and oil so I don't know if that would make things better or worse.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2167 on: December 17, 2015, 02:13:20 AM »
Cheers. After shaving it off last time I have just realised I'm not good when it gets out of control. My beard gets very thick at the sides and looks scruffy. I want to go longer but this time taking my time to grow the beard I want.

The nice thing about thickness on the side is that it rounds out a thin face.  I don't really have cheeks so the extra mass on the sides helps round my face.  On the other hand if you go for length having shorter sides can help make for a long sweeping controlled beard.  In other words I've seen both concepts done well.  As long as you don't return to stubble or edge a neckline at your cheek then you're good  O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2168 on: December 18, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »
Once when my goatee was around 8" or so I went to a dress up Old Fart birthday party where I dressed up as an old fart.  I "bleached" my goatee with talcum powder and it worked great, so any future Santas out there should consider it instead of bleach. I did it before using wax and oil so I don't know if that would make things better or worse.

And here I was thinking mine was getting long at 3 1/2".  :D

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2169 on: December 18, 2015, 07:06:23 PM »
2011:

2012:

2013:

2014:

2015:

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2170 on: December 19, 2015, 12:34:22 AM »
Razor,

Looking awesome!

S.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2171 on: December 19, 2015, 12:45:35 AM »
I agree that beard just gets better and better with the thickness, texture, and color.  It's basically a flawless beard-envy generating beard!

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #2172 on: December 19, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »

I agree that beard just gets better and better with the thickness, texture, and color.  It's basically a flawless beard-envy generating beard!

I agree it is a very fine beard
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2173 on: December 19, 2015, 08:53:28 AM »
+1 more razor, a very good beard that looks better in the 2015 photo.  Waiting to see what lengths you may take it to in 2016.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2174 on: December 19, 2015, 09:26:34 AM »
Thanks, guys. The current length wasn't planned; it just sort of sneaked up on me.  I don't know where in going from here but I am starting to like the extra length.