Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 899887 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #2130 on: December 02, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »

are you going for a really long length now but don't want to deal with a large mass of hair?

I'm undecided. There are limits as to how long I can let it go.  I may let it get a little longer; just not sure.   :-\

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2131 on: December 02, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
l used to be self conscious about my skunk mix but at least its symmetrical and I get compliments on it.

Same here.  I like mine better now that it's evened out some.  I get compliments on it, which I aways find a bit surprising.  Lately it seems to be turning much more quickly.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2132 on: December 03, 2015, 08:05:04 AM »
Cave Dweller, you've got a great beard also. Nice to see all these guys rocking the grey mix in their beards. It really does look distinguished.

Wow, thanks.

My wife convinced me to shave down to just the goat in 2008 as the gray was starting to seriously invade the brown. I saw how gray the goat was in August of this year, and decided there was no reason not to see the gray on the rest of the face as well. So far, my wife has not said anything.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #2133 on: December 03, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
I don't know what it is (probably just aging myself), but I'm really starting to view gray differently over the past few years. I've got a bunch of grey in my beard and my wife is starting to go gray and I don't mind it a bit.

I'm appreciating older looks alot more than I used to. In fact, I'm starting to feel that many younger people don't look "finished." It's not like I'm an older version of myself; it's more like I'm becoming more and more my actual self over time.

I'm also trying to teach my kids not to fear aging, so I'm trying to be a good role model of getting older gracefully.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2134 on: December 03, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
I guess it's the fact that I turned grey in my early 30's, but I'm tired of the grey. That's one of the main reasons I like the shaved head, no more grey.

I've recently thought about coloring my beard, but I keep reading so much negative about coloring. So....that leaves one choice, shave it off. Last time I did that I hated the way I looked. That was about 20 years ago. Oh well, like we tell everyone thinking about shaving their head, it will grow back.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2135 on: December 03, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
Reddog, beard color does require maintenance.  The issue is, with a totally white beard like you and I have, the white roots show quickly.  When I was going totally dark, I needed weekly maintenance to keep the white from showing too much.  I did stretch it out to 2 weeks a few times, but did not like it.  But using the JFM "Touch of Gray" I can go two weeks.  Since it leaves some gray, the white roots are not as noticeable.  It also fades quicker.  So, if you want to try something, I recommend it.  If you don't like it, it will fade out in a matter of weeks.

With other dye, it is hard to stop because you will have white roots and dark tips.  That may require you to shave and start over if you want to transition back to white.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2136 on: December 03, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »

I'm appreciating older looks alot more than I used to. In fact, I'm starting to feel that many younger people don't look "finished."

Who wants to be "finished"?   :*))

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2137 on: December 03, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »

I've recently thought about coloring my beard, but I keep reading so much negative about coloring. So....that leaves one choice, shave it off. Last time I did that I hated the way I looked.

I last shaved mine seven years ago because it was getting very grey. Or it seemed very grey at that time; it was actually very little compared to how much I have now.  I tried for about three months but could not adjust to a clean shaven face. I decided that a grey beard was better than no beard.  Like you, I realized the options were:

1.  Dye
2.  Shave
3.  Learn to live with a grey beard

I used JFM for a few years.  It worked OK for camouflaging small grey areas here and there but when I really started getting grey, it was simply not adequate.  It faded too soon and I did not want to start using a regular permanent hair dye, so option #3 is the only one available to me.   It's taken me a long time to come to terms with it but I think I'm finally getting there.

I have to say though, with your olive complexion, a nice thick grey or white beard is a great look. With my pale skin, I will probably look very washed out and colorless once my beard is fully de-pigmented. 

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2138 on: December 03, 2015, 10:17:45 PM »
I've recently thought about coloring my beard
That, in my opinion, would be a crying shame.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #2139 on: December 04, 2015, 02:49:12 AM »
Here's my very white beard after about three months growth.

Red

In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2140 on: December 04, 2015, 03:42:04 AM »
Suits you well, Red, looks great!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2141 on: December 04, 2015, 04:13:05 AM »
Here's my very white beard after about three months growth.

Red

Looks great! :)

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #2142 on: December 04, 2015, 05:11:49 AM »
Looks amazing Red :)
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline rodey201

• Sly Jr.