Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 899843 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #1065 on: November 13, 2013, 05:27:07 AM »

That's pretty much how I feel, too, Slybeard. I always admire other guys' beards and I just want to see if I can get to a point where I like it on myself. I may decide that the full beard is not for me, but I want to give it more of a chance.

It's always a little disconcerting to see an altered image staring back from the mirror. And when growing a beard, the image is different every day.  I think the trick is to let it grow in to where you'd like to keep it and then live with that look for a while.  Once the image in the mirror has stabilized somewhat, you can make an informed decision. That's the point thy I've reached. I'm going to get some tidying up done by the barber on Saturday and after that it's just a matter of getting used to the new look.  My goal is to live with the beard for a couple of months and then reassess.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #1066 on: November 13, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »
Razor X

"It's always a little disconcerting to see an altered image staring back from the mirror."

That works both way. When you have your beard trimmed back, that can take time to adjust, too !

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1067 on: November 13, 2013, 06:57:12 AM »
Razor and Mr Jules, your beards are both looking good as usual.  Yes, I have beard envy.

I have realized there is more to a good looking beard than length.  I do think that are some great looking long beards, but since all beards are unique, we need to find what is best for us individually.  It is not a one size fits all.

When I see the great beards here and elsewhere, I realize how "scrappy" mine is.  The ends look rather thin.  Mine seemed to look best to me at about half its current length.  At shorter lengths I focus too much on all the flaws, areas with low density. At the longer length, it gets stringy and uncontrollable.  I will stick with it a little longer, maybe through the end of the year. I will trim it, but I am just not sure when.
SlyBeard

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1068 on: November 13, 2013, 07:34:38 AM »
Slybeard, I'm not going to lie......For a while, I thought about going for at least your length at least, but it would have been a stretch for me to go for Rusty's or Beardman's length. As much as I wanted a (longer) beard, it seems I have a couple of bald spots in the chin area where the hair isn't growing right now. But I am proud of the fact that this is the widest my beard has been. As for your beard, no matter the length, it still looks good, especially when you do the handlebar!

Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1069 on: November 13, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »
Sir Harry, thanks for your comment.  Your beard looks great, your balds spots must be small because they are not noticeable in the photos.  You may find with a little more length they may become invisible.  I like the shape you have it now, but you may want to experiment with it wider to find what suites you best.

As with our head shapes and bumps, we are our own worst critics with our beards, noticing every little flaw.  Seems like the grass is always greener with a different style, etc.
SlyBeard

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #1070 on: November 13, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
It's always a little disconcerting to see an altered image staring back from the mirror. And when growing a beard, the image is different every day. 
[/quote]

I think what bothers me most about growing this beard is how thick and dark it is on the bottom and on my neck in contrast to how it is thinner and lighter up higher. My checks have spots where I think it needs to fill in.  But speaking of altered images, today I have finally noticed that my checks have filled in more and seems to blend more with the rest of the beard.  Maybe it's my imagination!

On a lighter note, a woman at work made a comment on how quickly the beard has grown. She followed that up by saying it makes me look THIRTY years older - that puts me at eighty!  I laughed, considered the source, and prefer to translate that comment to mean, "You were a mere boy before, and now you are a distinguished gentleman!"  8)
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1071 on: November 13, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »

I think what bothers me most about growing this beard is how thick and dark it is on the bottom and on my neck in contrast to how it is thinner and lighter up higher. My checks have spots where I think it needs to fill in.  But speaking of altered images, today I have finally noticed that my checks have filled in more and seems to blend more with the rest of the beard.  Maybe it's my imagination!

It's not your imagination.  I was just saying the same thing to someone.  I got up and looked in the mirror this morning and for the first time it looked like my beard was fully grown in. Everything just seemed to fill in overnight.

On a lighter note, a woman at work made a comment on how quickly the beard has grown. She followed that up by saying it makes me look THIRTY years older - that puts me at eighty!  I laughed, considered the source, and prefer to translate that comment to mean, "You were a mere boy before, and now you are a distinguished gentleman!"  8)

I'm probably in the minority on this but I actually don't think a beard makes a man look older, except for those who are very young (early 20s) and baby-faced.  The last time I was clean-shaven people said I looked  younger, but I honestly couldn't see it.  I felt I looked better with some facial fuzz, even if it did add a few years on to my appearance.  I figured that at this stage of the game, no one is going mistake me for a 25-year-old either way.   :)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1072 on: November 13, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
I agree with Razor, Except for the very young, a beard does not make one look older, unless it is combined with a horseshoe head.  Beard + sly = younger.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1073 on: November 16, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »
I just got back from another barbershop trim, and at this point I think I can say that the beard is looking pretty much the way I want it to.  The right cheek needs to fill in just a little bit more but aside from that I'm pretty happy with it.   For comparison purposes, the last photo was taken on September 28, right after my last goatee trim.  After that, I started letting the goat grow and on October 23 started growing out the full beard.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #1074 on: November 16, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
Razor X

I'd say your beard looks pretty evened out now. That's good work for a month's growth.

Looks like the neck line has been well taken care of, too.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1075 on: November 16, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
Razor X

I'd say your beard looks pretty evened out now. That's good work for a month's growth.

Looks like the neck line has been well taken care of, too.

Thanks.  The next challenge will be to see how long I can manage to keep it.  Are you still growing out that goat through the end of the year?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1076 on: November 16, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »
Wow, Razor, that only took a month? Impressive!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #1077 on: November 17, 2013, 04:20:55 AM »
Are you still growing out that goat through the end of the year?

Yes. Next visit to the barber after 1 Jan 2014.

Today's update. (sorry about the big jumper/sweater. it's cold in London. Brrr)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1078 on: November 17, 2013, 06:32:59 AM »
Are you still growing out that goat through the end of the year?

Yes. Next visit to the barber after 1 Jan 2014.

Today's update. (sorry about the big jumper/sweater. it's cold in London. Brrr)

I like that length.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #1079 on: November 17, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
Razor,

I really like the looks of your beard. It looks awesome. I like the groomed look. I would keep it. It really looks good on you.

Mr. Jules, Your beard looks great.

Sir Harry, You are looking great. I really like your beard too.

Enter your email address: