Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 900284 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #750 on: May 04, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
Looking good Brother! Everytime I see your beard I am amazed with the length, and it makes me want to keep mine growing that little bit longer... haha little bit...

That heat gun story... that is a huge brain fart! I hopefully you are more careful next time  ;)

Yours is getting beastly.  Have you been trimming the sides or are you letting it all go?
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #751 on: May 04, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »
I've been letting it all go, the only trimming has been to lower my cheek line, because I'm not a huge fan of the high cheek line especially with a longer beard.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #752 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:24 PM »
My avatar reflects my current look. I did have a full beard going for some time, but I kept getting the urge to shave some of it off, and said urge lasted well past the 48 hour rule. So, I pretty much just removed the chops. I dig it. So does the wifey and a few coworkers. So, keepin it for now.

Love all the beard posts. Everyone looks great! Keep it up! Rusty & Beardman, I must say youse fellas are going beyond epic and into legendary.  O0

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:20:03 PM by Natedawg »
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #753 on: May 11, 2013, 06:01:46 AM »
Still looks good, Nate!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #754 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
So, I pretty much just removed the chops.

Ah.. the man who gave the world of beards the word "chopless" !!

Offline CowtownBaldie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #755 on: May 13, 2013, 06:38:57 PM »
I have this little beard right now...I always liked it, but in the Army and Correctional Service I wasn't allowed to grow it. So now I am growing it and going to let it get fairly long. Simple...I just won't shave it!

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #756 on: May 20, 2013, 11:45:38 AM »
Ok, so my beard was getting bigger. And I was getting more 'adverse' comments. Even my brother describing it as 'distressing'. And I think they had a point.

This morning, asked my regular barber to trim it right back. He obliged. Pictures attached.

But now, I miss the big beard. Feel like part of my face is missing and like I have no chin. It's surprising how a bigger beard (or any beard) can be such an intergral part of your features.

Well, I guess a smaller makes a change. And in a few weeks' time...

There was once a time when I loathed beards: scruffy, unnecessary, dirty things. Now I want my big beard back.  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:47:31 AM by Mr Jules »

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #757 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
And I was getting more 'adverse' comments.

Which, in almost any given situation, are usually the result of jealousy and/or ignorance.  ;D 

I only hope that this change wasn't just due just the negative attention, and that you yourself also felt that you wanted to shrink it down...

Indeed, looks much smaller, but it's still a kick-ass beard!  O0
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #758 on: May 20, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »
Which, in almost any given situation, are usually the result of jealousy and/or ignorance.  ;D  

I only hope that this change wasn't just due just the negative attention, and that you yourself also felt that you wanted to shrink it down...

Indeed, looks much smaller, but it's still a kick-ass beard!  O0

You're quite right, Natedawg - if I have beard envy, then so others ! And thanks for the compliment.

Yep, did want to shrink down. Had several of those 'wait for 48 hrs' moments. But the joy of growing a beard is that it can only go in one direction.

That's a fine specimen hanging off your chin. Good mix of big beard and smaller chops.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #759 on: May 21, 2013, 01:58:15 AM »
I used to always get that feeling whenever I trimmed my beard, I haven't had that feeling for well over a year now... It's a glorious feeling.

I get negative feedback all the time, but the positives still outweight the negatives, and until I get go more then 24hrs while thinking of trimming it I'm going to keep going. Either that or it becomes a OH&S issue...

Your beard is still looking as awesome as always though, even after the pruning, Mr Jules. I might have to actually get an updated picture to share with you guys, I haven't taken one for a while now.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #760 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »
It is a good bit shorter but it still looks great. It will just take you a day or two to adjust to the new look.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #761 on: May 21, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »
Beardman, yes do please update your profile pic with more newer evidence of your mega-beard. And make sure you take your picture with a brighter shirt, for the contrast !!

Razor X and Beardman, thanks for the compliments. A few folks have said the shorter beard makes me look younger. They may be right. Still, there's always the option to return to bigger beard.  ;)

Offline VOT

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #762 on: May 21, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »
Looks good post trim. I think the trim makes it look thicker

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #763 on: May 21, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »
Looks good post trim. I think the trim makes it look thicker

Thanks, I'd agree with you.

Been wearing a beard now for over a year now. And still learning that a beard is nearly always work in progress. Rarely a project complete.

Where as bald is bald !

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #764 on: May 23, 2013, 02:28:56 AM »
Impressed and inspired by some of the awesome facial foliage I've been watching on this thread!

This is a picture I took a couple of days ago. I'm about 6 months into growing my current beard and my goal is to sort of see how long I can stand growing it. I'm a stay-at-home-dad right now, and will be a community college student as well this Fall, so with no one to answer to, this seems like a good time to go full ZZ Top with it.

I'm just trimming strays and doing a little shape maintenance here and there. I've been washing with Grandpa's Pine Tar Shampoo to keep it clean and keep the skin happy, then using a 100% Boar bristle brush and Ox Horn comb for upkeep and Honest Amish Beard Balm (Reg. & Extra Grit).

So far, the wife is on board and says she'll let me know if it gets to be too much for her.

Wish me luck, and throw me advice as you see fit  ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:30:53 AM by Vash »
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Enter your email address: