Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 899764 times)

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #645 on: February 26, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Looking good.

Beards like that really frame the face. I sported that style for several years.
Lynchy

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #646 on: February 27, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »
Last night I buzzed it all down with a #2 guard!     

Slymyke, you've done a good job, there. Do you think you'll keep it at that length ?

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #647 on: February 27, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »
I always love your beard updates Marsh! the brushed out look certainly draws the attention!

I was out last night and got into a good little conversation with a what I would call, mid-length van dyke. He was the bassist for the opening band, and was even rocking the sly look. I don't know about you other guys out there, but a lot of my conversations with new people seem to be instigated by a conversation about my beard, or beards in general.

The same thing happens to me too.  They are like magnets!  Have you had strangers take your picture yet?  Are you sick of the "I had a beard but when my girlfriend/wife/employer ordered me to shave I handed them my testicles and obeyed?" comments from other guys?  I swear every time I go out with my beard loose I get at least one stranger coming up with a variation of that story.

At least one person every time I go out tells me a variation of that story. I still enjoy the conversations most of the time, because it normally only starts out as an ice breaker, then the conversation moves on fairly quickly. Which is cool, I've met many awesome people by starting off chatting about my beard.

I always love your beard updates Marsh! the brushed out look certainly draws the attention!

I was out last night and got into a good little conversation with a what I would call, mid-length van dyke. He was the bassist for the opening band, and was even rocking the sly look. I don't know about you other guys out there, but a lot of my conversations with new people seem to be instigated by a conversation about my beard, or beards in general.

The same thing happens to me too.  They are like magnets!  Have you had strangers take your picture yet?  Are you sick of the "I had a beard but when my girlfriend/wife/employer ordered me to shave I handed them my testicles and obeyed?" comments from other guys?  I swear every time I go out with my beard loose I get at least one stranger coming up with a variation of that story.

I have recently been considering a bit chop off the bottom of my goat (probably a good couple of centimetres) so that the ends don't look so wispy, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it haha. Especially seeing I haven't really found my "too long" point yet.

I've been debating that for months too.  We could easily cut off a few without really losing much length and it would get rid of the wispy-ness at the ends, but I don't want to lose any length because I want to see how long it will get.  Also, since most of my ends are cut off ends I know that I am not near terminal length yet.  If you cut them off then you basically lose that guide as they will all be cut off.  I'm also afraid that if I allow myself to trim off the ends then that will make it easier for me to cut the entire thing off.

It's like you are in my head, get out haha!

NO absolutely not!  Consider working on a tie up.  You just can't chop it, cm or inches.  Ya hear me!

It's not really the length that's the issue its that the length gets wispy and is even a little bit of a pain to control even when tied up.  Basically when you allow a region of hair to grow uncut you have some that grow a lot faster than the others and they make the length wispy.  If you cut off the tips you basically allow the bulk of the hair mass to catch up so that results in a more-consistent end.  Of course the downside to this is that the total length remains shorter until enough slow pokes catch up, and that's the reason I haven't done it yet.  I keep debating it, but I think I'm going to stay hands-off on the length.

That's it, the length is not an issue for me at all, it's just that the wispiness, as Rusty explained so well. It will probably be something that is always in the back of my mind, as I can see it is with Rusty too, but that doesn't mean I'll follow up on the thought.

That's a nice looking beard there, Myke.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #648 on: February 27, 2013, 03:57:16 AM »

Slymyke, you've done a good job, there. Do you think you'll keep it at that length ?

Looks good, Myke, even when it's buzzed, it still fits your face well.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #649 on: February 27, 2013, 06:42:45 AM »
Thanks guys... It was weird when I looked at myself in the mirror.  I felt like our family dog looked when he got matted ears and the groomer cut him to look like a Beagle.  He is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, so it was a dramatic change --especially for his ears....lol

I will probably keep it like this for a while (maybe a little longer)... and then grow it back out some more. 

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #650 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »

Just catching up here.

Looks good SlyMyke - the shorter beard causes your eyes to take on greater facial importance. It's a good look for you.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #651 on: March 02, 2013, 06:34:39 AM »
I will probably keep it like this for a while (maybe a little longer)... and then grow it back out some more. 

Grow for it, Slymyke.

Getting to the stage where I like the feel of my beard now as much as the appearance.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #652 on: March 02, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »

<------------------ Day 16 and still haven't trimmed it yet. Over halfway to the 30-day mark and the longer goal of 3 months.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #653 on: March 02, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
It's coming along very nicely.   O0

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #654 on: March 02, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »
Looks good, Rob!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #655 on: March 03, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »
Looking good Rob! Lots of potential there  O0

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #656 on: March 03, 2013, 03:54:14 AM »

<------------------ Day 16 and still haven't trimmed it yet. Over halfway to the 30-day mark and the longer goal of 3 months.

Keep going, Rob6, you are well on the way.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #657 on: March 03, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »
To all my bearded brothers, thanks for the inspiration.  I started a goat about three weeks ago.  So far I haven't touched it.  My goal--one year.  I've never had one for longer than a month.  I get fustrated with the patchiness and give up.  Hope all of you will give me support in this endeavor.  Also started working out at the gym with a personal trainer.  I'm trying to bulk up. I'm tired of the tube shaped body with no strenth.  The beard is coming in faster than in the past.  The trainer said it was the protein supplements he suggested.
So wish me luck.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »
Grow for it

I like that..."Grow for it"..   O0

Your new specs are pretty cool and look great on you, Mr. Jules.

FG, thanks for the compliment.

Rob6, the guys are right... your's is looking good..  Looks like a keeper!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:10:26 PM by slymyke »

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2013, 11:38:27 PM »
To all my bearded brothers, thanks for the inspiration.  I started a goat about three weeks ago.  So far I haven't touched it.  My goal--one year.  I've never had one for longer than a month.  I get fustrated with the patchiness and give up.  Hope all of you will give me support in this endeavor.  Also started working out at the gym with a personal trainer.  I'm trying to bulk up. I'm tired of the tube shaped body with no strenth.  The beard is coming in faster than in the past.  The trainer said it was the protein supplements he suggested.
So wish me luck.

That is awesome Papa Don. You've taken on too big life commitments there, and I, like the rest of your sly bearded brethren will be behind you all the way!

If you are keen, we have a sly fitness challenge thread were we set goals and try and accomplish them for the month. I don't know, it might be something that you are interested in participating, I know it helps a lot of guys stay motivated, and it's something fun to be able to look back at the end of the month and go, "yeah, I done that!"

Keep us posted on the goatee and training progresses mate, I look forward to hearing how you are powering along  O0

Enter your email address: