Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 900389 times)

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #345 on: December 28, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »
I'm not sure what to think of this, a toilet seat & "neck beard?"

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/4489.jpg

WTF.
:*)) :*)) :*))

Imaginary your beard looks great.  You could be a bouncer.   O0

That would be interesting. At 5'4" I would be one of the shortest bouncers around. But I would be one with one of the biggest cases of Napoleon Complex. Whenever I tell people my height, they are amazed, being I act like I am much bigger than I really am.

Concerning the people of Wal-Mart picture, is he going for the vulture look?
I always believe you should watch the smaller person.  They can do alot of damage.  ;) 8)

As far as Mr. Wal-Mart what would you call that hair trim a "circumscison"? ::)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Sentinel

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #346 on: December 28, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm probably not going to be the most active member on this forum but i'll look in from time to time 8)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2012, 12:32:17 AM »
I'm not sure what to think of this, a toilet seat & "neck beard?"

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/4489.jpg

That is without a doubt the most unique beard I have ever seen.  It's like his head is detached from his body!  I bet that style doesn't even have a name.
You don't know me, but I know you.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2012, 01:02:24 AM »
I've been letting the beard grow out, hopefully until I can do a tie up like Rusty Shakelford's system, but it's probably a month to two months away.

I've been curious as to how long yours has actually become so it was nice to see an actual picture.  My only concern with your attempt to use my technique is that it looks like your entire beard is getting long and I'm not certain how a mid-length beard will work with a long rolled up goatee so I will be interested in seeing what you come up with.  I'm keeping my beard at a short length of about 1" long because it seems to match the look of my goatee when it is rolled up.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
I'm doing it.  I'm finally doing it.

I'm tired of having too much gray that it's noticeable while having such little gray that it's not a consistent gray beard.  So I'm doing it!  I'm going to hit the bottle and probably tomorrow.  I've been warned to go lighter than you want to be so I'm getting a light brown and I'm going to give it a shot.  I've been thinking about this a lot lately and tonight I ran into a friend with a dark beard with a large amount of gray who has been successfully masking it with Just for Men for about a year now.

The weird thing is that a month or two ago I was thinking that my gray hasn't seemed to advance much in the past few years but I think I was wrong.  One thing that makes the problem worse is that my goofiest, craziest, and least controllable hairs all seem to be the gray ones so at length that makes them stand out worse than if they are brown!

I'm gonna be the Bob Barker of beards.  I'm gonna keep it brown until it's all gray and then next day I'm going to have a completely gray beard. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #350 on: December 29, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
I'm doing it.  I'm finally doing it.

I'm tired of having too much gray that it's noticeable while having such little gray that it's not a consistent gray beard.  So I'm doing it!  I'm going to hit the bottle and probably tomorrow.  I've been warned to go lighter than you want to be so I'm getting a light brown and I'm going to give it a shot.  I've been thinking about this a lot lately and tonight I ran into a friend with a dark beard with a large amount of gray who has been successfully masking it with Just for Men for about a year now.

The weird thing is that a month or two ago I was thinking that my gray hasn't seemed to advance much in the past few years but I think I was wrong.  One thing that makes the problem worse is that my goofiest, craziest, and least controllable hairs all seem to be the gray ones so at length that makes them stand out worse than if they are brown!

I'm gonna be the Bob Barker of beards.  I'm gonna keep it brown until it's all gray and then next day I'm going to have a completely gray beard. 
Just be careful--I had a really nasty skin reaction to JFM--the skin started oozing clear mucus like stuff.  It went away once I stopped.  Maybe there's another formulation.  Admittedly, I've had problem skin all my life, so that wasn't a help. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #351 on: December 29, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
I've been letting the beard grow out, hopefully until I can do a tie up like Rusty Shakelford's system, but it's probably a month to two months away.

I've been curious as to how long yours has actually become so it was nice to see an actual picture.  My only concern with your attempt to use my technique is that it looks like your entire beard is getting long and I'm not certain how a mid-length beard will work with a long rolled up goatee so I will be interested in seeing what you come up with.  I'm keeping my beard at a short length of about 1" long because it seems to match the look of my goatee when it is rolled up.
It's going to need some more length.  I've even looked at a couple of vids on how the Sikh community ties their beards,

The second is closest to your method.  But they use all kinds of stuff to prepare the beard and I'm not sure I'm into doing that.  Obviously the second vid shows how to do a shorter growth and has some techniques very much like the RS Method.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:23:58 AM by saintc »

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #352 on: December 29, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »
It's going to need some more length.  I've even looked at a couple of vids on how the Sikh community ties their beards,

The second is closest to your method.  But they use all kinds of stuff to prepare the beard and I'm not sure I'm into doing that.  Obviously the second vid shows how to do a shorter growth and has some techniques very much like the RS Method.  

Those are some pretty impressive videos and after watching the first I was tempted to grow out a long beard all the way around.  Maybe someday, but not now.  The first guy's technique results in a beard that almost looks plastic at the end, but I assume that was caused by the spray he put on at the end.  I wonder how it would look in a day or two after that relaxes a bit.  I know mine looks best after the first day.

As for the second video: curse you Apple for bringing weird, narrow aspect ratio video to the world!  We're trying to go wider and get rid of 4:3 and these smartphones are taking video the wrong direction!  (Basically I didn't have time to really watch it so that's the best comment I could come up with)

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #353 on: December 29, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »
Just be careful--I had a really nasty skin reaction to JFM--the skin started oozing clear mucus like stuff.  It went away once I stopped.  Maybe there's another formulation.  Admittedly, I've had problem skin all my life, so that wasn't a help. 

Although I do have annoying acne and reacted to poison ivy something fierce as a kid, I tend not to get reactions to things.  The last time was a bad bar of soap that messed me up a decade ago. 

I researched and knew to go light, so I went and got "Light Brown" and put a sample on a chunk of my lower goat and the tips of my sideburns and can't see much difference.  Maybe that means I got it right?  I looked at a long white hair and I think it is darker at the bottom than at the top, but the difference is minor.  Oh well, now that it has dried I'm off to do the rest of it.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »
UPDATE: I just completed my first full coloring.  I wasn't too impressed with that little sample test, but this full-blown coloring seemed to make a change.  The tops of my sideburns are now brown instead of graying, and the gray hairs that were concentrated in the center of my goatee now seem to be light brown.  The bad thing is that the hairs that had not yet grayed seemed to have picked up more color than the gray ones.  That said it was a noticeable improvement and does not look painted.

I have a more = better mentality, but I did heed the warnings to choose a color lighter than you think you need but I left the coloring in for 6.5 minutes instead of the recommended 5.

I know this stuff builds up in the hair so since this was just my first application I plan to apply it on a weekly basis for a couple weeks before going onto the more relaxed routine others suggest so that it can build up.

The odor of my goatee is odd right now.  It's a familiar smell but I can't remember what it reminds me of...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »

I know this stuff builds up in the hair so since this was just my first application I plan to apply it on a weekly basis for a couple weeks before going onto the more relaxed routine others suggest so that it can build up.

You'll also find that when you first rinse out the gel, your color doesn't look much different, but the color will take hold in about 20 minutes' time, so be careful not to overdo it.

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »
The odor of my goatee is odd right now.  It's a familiar smell but I can't remember what it reminds me of...

Smells like Teen Spirit? (Okay imaginary, the nineties called, and they want their joke back.)
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline F77Scot

• Sly
  • Bald and Bearded...and loving it!
« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »
This was my beard before trimming..........will have to wait a couple of months to get back there....

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
I keep my beard short. It gets too straggly so trim once a week
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:34:00 PM by isleepinthebuff »

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #359 on: December 29, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
 O0  Looks good !
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL