Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 900706 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »
Thanks--that looks really great unleased as well as under control.  I've reached the point with length that it's not long enough yet to tie up--probably at least another month--but it's long enough that I'm getting heavy grief on the home front.  The tied up version looks like what I can "sell" to the wife, but now that I know that I have the reason to push through all the grief to try to get there. 

I remember you started a few months ago so hopefully you are getting pretty close.  BTW: what does your wife do when you critique something about her that you dislike?  :o
I started then trimmed back to about an inch plus, trimmed down the sides, where I'm keeping them.  So I'm getting to about two inches now.
My wife! I should critque something I dislike :o? Your comment would indicate that you're not married >:D.  As my very wise uncle said one time, the secret to a happy and peaceful marriage or relationship with your spouse requires that the man always have the last words.  Those last words are, "Yes dear!" ;)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2012, 09:40:22 AM »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #213 on: November 21, 2012, 11:36:16 PM »
@Rusty,

Thanks for the link mate, I might give it a some time soon, I've bookmarked it though, so I can find it easily!

I've not decided on what length I'm going to let my beard grow too, I might grow it out for a while, but I get the feeling it's not going to be a keeper, I think I like the van dyke look more ...

How long have you been growing it out?

I'd be inclined to agree with Rusty's estimate of 12 months, I trimmed it back in march, to about 3 fingers of length (if you know what I mean)

Haha!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »
Two weeks in:

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2012, 07:53:16 AM »
How does it look tied up?  Still neat & "businesslike?"

Here's what it looks like right now.  With my technique, the goat could be 6", 12", 18" or probably even 24" and it would look exactly the same as this because everything that can get tied up by the first rubber band is already long enough to get tied up, so as long as I can make a little pouch under the chin big enough for the braid it should, in theory, always look like this.  From what I can tell I can make enough space for a goat twice as long and I'm braiding the tail up loosely.  If I tighten it up I bet I could hide a even a terminal length goatee and it would still look exactly like this.  The only thing that really gets difficult is binding up the rubber bands because the longer the hair gets the more difficult it is to do that because you have to pull more through the rubber band loop.

I also find that the short beard around it hides some imperfections.  The beard goes lower towards my Adam's Apple so it hides that little nub and the beard on the sides of the goat hides the pesky stray hairs that never seem to get more that 2"-3" for some reason.  I'm considering getting some mustache wax for the edges to see if I can improve things.  I'm also considering beard dye because it seems like the gray hairs cooperate less and with them being white against the dark brown others they stand out.  A a short buzzed length they wouldn't do that.   

This is also the first time I've grown out a full beard and liked the results.  Everyone always says to let it grow and not touch it, but this was the first time I did almost nothing to it for a month.  All I do is give it an even edge around the bottom and very little on the cheeks.  Every other time I had a beard I put the neck line too high, and that will look fine from the front but from the sides a high neck can look like hell.  It did.  I even learned that and used a low neckline on another beard but it was still too high.  I also resisted the urge to trim the cheek line other than to give it the highest solid edge possible and it seems to work.  The most aggressive trimming I do is the sideburns because it comes out as scalp hair and looks too puffy right at the top so I have been fading the sideburns a bit to avoid that.

I thought the beard would be a passing thing but I think it's gonna stay.

I really admire your beard and the method used to disguise it!! Really smart!! O0 O0 O0

marty22

« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »
good look!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
Day 17:

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
It's a beard, and a new look!   O0

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
That's looking perfect, and even though you trimmed the chin short to match the shorter sides I think it was a good decision because it's making everything blend together great.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »
That's looking perfect, and even though you trimmed the chin short to match the shorter sides I think it was a good decision because it's making everything blend together great.

Thanks.  I want to get some of that length back on the chin.  It should take about a week or two.  I think I'll like it a whole lot better then.

BTW, we need to see a picture of yours untied. I'm curious to see how the long goatee looks with the new growth on the sides.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:27:14 AM by Razor X »

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »
You look great.

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »
Some ripper looking beards here, fantastic!!

I can't grow a beard for some reason, it only grows in patches, looks terrible.
Funny now I can grow hair in the most weird places nose, ears etc....but I want to grow a beard.....no, it only grows where it wants to, looks like a bucks party prank gone wrong....go figure!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2012, 05:22:35 AM »
Razor, that beard looks great!   O0

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2012, 06:17:14 AM »
Very good look for you, Razor!