Author Topic: Show us your beard!  (Read 899955 times)

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
Re: Show us your beard!
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2012, 11:54:46 PM »
By did I fall behind on this thread!

I'm sorry to hear about your incident at the barber, hopefully next time you get your regular!

I think Rusty picks me on length by a bit, but I'm content to keep growing, I'm thinking I might make it to 12 months of growth since my last trim, it's probably already close to 12 months of total growth now though, I don't want to shave it off to test the hypothesis though haha.

Mr Jules, I love the Hairy Bikers, mum and I sued to watch them all the time, but they've disappeared of Aussie TV for some time now unfortunately.

Razor your beard is coming along a treat  O0

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
I think I have the beard to the length I want it.  It's close to my 1" trimmer guard length so I'm going to try out that length to see if I like it, otherwise I'm going to keep it at 3/4".

Of course the goat's going to be free to grow, grow, and grow.

And this one, just because it's fun:
You don't know me, but I know you.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »
RazorX: That beard's coming in great.  You were just growing it for the short term, but are you going to keep it since it seems to be coming in so well?

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your incident at the barber, hopefully next time you get your regular!

I think Rusty picks me on length by a bit, but I'm content to keep growing, I'm thinking I might make it to 12 months of growth since my last trim, it's probably already close to 12 months of total growth now though, I don't want to shave it off to test the hypothesis though haha.

Mr Jules, I love the Hairy Bikers, mum and I sued to watch them all the time, but they've disappeared of Aussie TV for some time now unfortunately.

Damn Australia is tough!  Take off one of Short Goat's favorite TV shows and he sues you!    :*))

BTW, from the length of your stubble it looks like you might have over a year's worth of growth already, and it looks awesome... in spite of its INSANE shortness.   >:D You're going to let the beard grow out and long too, right?  I'm just keeping the beard part short.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »
RazorX: That beard's coming in great.  You were just growing it for the short term, but are you going to keep it since it seems to be coming in so well?

The goal is to keep it for 90 days and then see how I feel. I was off yesterday and just came back to work today.  Feeling a little self conscious since it is still new although the feedback has been positive so far.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:17:23 PM by Razor X »

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
Razor, I thought you would get positive feedback.  Of course you will from us, but it's good to hear that others were in agreement.  (what's not to like, right?)

Rusty,  I'm kinda new to the site, so I haven't seen yours yet... Great pics, bud!

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
Rusty, that picture is scary.  The part above the glasses reminds me of one of my co-workers eyebrows  :o

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
I think I have the beard to the length I want it.  It's close to my 1" trimmer guard length so I'm going to try out that length to see if I like it, otherwise I'm going to keep it at 3/4".

How does it look tied up?  Still neat & "businesslike?"

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »
How does it look tied up?  Still neat & "businesslike?"

Here's what it looks like right now.  With my technique, the goat could be 6", 12", 18" or probably even 24" and it would look exactly the same as this because everything that can get tied up by the first rubber band is already long enough to get tied up, so as long as I can make a little pouch under the chin big enough for the braid it should, in theory, always look like this.  From what I can tell I can make enough space for a goat twice as long and I'm braiding the tail up loosely.  If I tighten it up I bet I could hide a even a terminal length goatee and it would still look exactly like this.  The only thing that really gets difficult is binding up the rubber bands because the longer the hair gets the more difficult it is to do that because you have to pull more through the rubber band loop.

I also find that the short beard around it hides some imperfections.  The beard goes lower towards my Adam's Apple so it hides that little nub and the beard on the sides of the goat hides the pesky stray hairs that never seem to get more that 2"-3" for some reason.  I'm considering getting some mustache wax for the edges to see if I can improve things.  I'm also considering beard dye because it seems like the gray hairs cooperate less and with them being white against the dark brown others they stand out.  A a short buzzed length they wouldn't do that.   

This is also the first time I've grown out a full beard and liked the results.  Everyone always says to let it grow and not touch it, but this was the first time I did almost nothing to it for a month.  All I do is give it an even edge around the bottom and very little on the cheeks.  Every other time I had a beard I put the neck line too high, and that will look fine from the front but from the sides a high neck can look like hell.  It did.  I even learned that and used a low neckline on another beard but it was still too high.  I also resisted the urge to trim the cheek line other than to give it the highest solid edge possible and it seems to work.  The most aggressive trimming I do is the sideburns because it comes out as scalp hair and looks too puffy right at the top so I have been fading the sideburns a bit to avoid that.

I thought the beard would be a passing thing but I think it's gonna stay.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
Thanks--that looks really great unleased as well as under control.  I've reached the point with length that it's not long enough yet to tie up--probably at least another month--but it's long enough that I'm getting heavy grief on the home front.  The tied up version looks like what I can "sell" to the wife, but now that I know that I have the reason to push through all the grief to try to get there. 

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »
I always trim my own beard.
Just did it today.
If it's bad, it's my fault.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
Rusty,

That is a really neat trick.  I'd almost like to try it myself sometime.  The only problem is that there's no way to hide the length while waiting for it gt sufficiently long to tie up. 

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »

Damn Australia is tough!  Take off one of Short Goat's favorite TV shows and he sues you!    :*))

BTW, from the length of your stubble it looks like you might have over a year's worth of growth already, and it looks awesome... in spite of its INSANE shortness.   >:D You're going to let the beard grow out and long too, right?  I'm just keeping the beard part short.

Hey Rusty, I'm glad you weighed in on this topic finally, thanks for the comments!  O0

I've not decided on what length I'm going to let my beard grow too, I might grow it out for a while, but I get the feeling it's not going to be a keeper, I think I like the van dyke look more, we'll see though, I'm enjoying the fact it takes longer to apply the shaving cream then it does to shave my face haha.

I might have to try your trick, I think I remember reading a tutorial type post you made at some point, I might have to look it up again, at the moment I just let mine roam free

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2012, 01:11:14 AM »
Thanks--that looks really great unleased as well as under control.  I've reached the point with length that it's not long enough yet to tie up--probably at least another month--but it's long enough that I'm getting heavy grief on the home front.  The tied up version looks like what I can "sell" to the wife, but now that I know that I have the reason to push through all the grief to try to get there. 

I remember you started a few months ago so hopefully you are getting pretty close.  BTW: what does your wife do when you critique something about her that you dislike?  :o

Rusty,

That is a really neat trick.  I'd almost like to try it myself sometime.  The only problem is that there's no way to hide the length while waiting for it gt sufficiently long to tie up. 

Sure there is! 

Actually I didn't try or even think about rolling it up until it got to an already-sufficiently long length and wondered what I was going to do with it.

Hey Rusty, I'm glad you weighed in on this topic finally, thanks for the comments!  O0

I've not decided on what length I'm going to let my beard grow too, I might grow it out for a while, but I get the feeling it's not going to be a keeper, I think I like the van dyke look more, we'll see though, I'm enjoying the fact it takes longer to apply the shaving cream then it does to shave my face haha.

I might have to try your trick, I think I remember reading a tutorial type post you made at some point, I might have to look it up again, at the moment I just let mine roam free

One thing I noticed is that these super-lengths get annoying: the wind blows it, it gets caught on stuff (with "stuff" including being stuck between my arm and the mattress), etc.  You're definitely beyond the length of noticing those issues and have probably noticed them even more than I do since you go au-natural 24/7.  Maybe that's a downside to my keeping it rolled up because when I unleash it it actually feels a little foreign to me.

It's weird because this short beard just started out of laziness and curiosity.  I'd been getting in the habit of leaving my beard unshaved all week and one Friday I was sitting at a bar and there was a guy on the other side with a nice beard.  I started thinking that I had to shave off my stubble and started wondering what I would look like with a beard (as if I had never had one) and then I this dumb epiphanies where I realized I could just grow the thing out.  So I did.  I'm actually like it and think it might just be permanent.  I doubt I will let it get any real length, but then I wasn't going to do the long goatee thing until I got old and gray too.

BTW: Here's a big article I wrote on the subject:
http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/topic/15646/Hiding-the-length-of-a-long-goatee

I'd be curious to see what happens if you try it.  On that other board a guy actually did and it came out well.  You'll probably need to try it a few times but once you get it you can have fun tricking people into thinking you cut it off.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2012, 05:10:14 AM »

I've not decided on what length I'm going to let my beard grow too, I might grow it out for a while, but I get the feeling it's not going to be a keeper, I think I like the van dyke look more ...

How long have you been growing it out?

Enter your email address: