Author Topic: military guy seeking advice..  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Sandmano4

• Sly Guy in Training
military guy seeking advice..
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »

hi there slyguys..how is everyone doing ? Im in the military...31 yrs old..considering going back to private sector..my body feels a bit beat up from being in the Marine Corps..what can you guys suggest..re-enlist or not...

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: military guy seeking advice..
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
Not something anyone else can decide for you, Sandman. But thanks for serving!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
Sandmann, guess it depends how long you've been in.   If 10 years or more, staying is a wise choice.   I was at a similar point at 10 years, decided to stay in the Corps for the 20.   In todays economy having life-time health insurance and a retirement income can be awesome.   If your fitreps are good and you can stay, you can't beat the job security. Feel free to  PM if you are looking for more info.   
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: military guy seeking advice..
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
To piggyback off of Paul... If you're @ or over 10, what's 10 more until retirement? I'm @ 21 yrs in (A/D Air Force) and it's been a blur (not to mention a wild and crazy ride) So, with that being said, this is my last ride with Big Blue.
But, if you're ready to punch, (only YOU will know when it's "time") please make sure you have a plan to fall back on when you become "Mr."

Cheers,
Ro

Offline Sandmano4

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
yeah...all valid points..i know its my decision....i have just been having trouble making up my mind....i need to draw up a plan and stick with it..thanks..

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »
I know EXACTLY how you feel Bro... If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Ro

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »
Just to add my own experiences to the mix, if I had stayed in longer I'd be a lot less worried about retirement now...

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
That's some pretty good advise dude.

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »
  Maybe re-up in a different mos?.   I loved the army but could not get an mos change when my enlistment was up. Today's job market sucks so remember that the grass isn't always greener. Good luck to you and THANK YOU for your service.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 03:42:57 AM »
As another guy who has given more than 20 years (mostly with the reserve component) I would say stay in...Even if you decide that you want out of the military full time, if you get a nice civilian job, have you thought of joining the Marine reserves so that your time in service can continue? Good luck to you and thank you for your service!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Sandmano4

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »

Wow...thanks again for that input guys. Its true that the economy is not as bombastic as we'd like it to be...Which is why i'm considering staying in...i could go on embassy duty for a couple more years and then get out..but i sure would miss my car and motorcycle! There is a lot of stuff about America i would miss too being away for all that time....Reserves sounds like a pretty good idea...Man i sure wish i was younger lol

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
Hindsight 20/20 my friend...

Cheers,
Ro

Enter your email address: